Joseph Stuber

View Joseph Stuber's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Pending Market Crash Waiting For A Catalyst - The EU Delivers [View article]
    pm

My "longs were shorts".

I would think almost everyone knows that the etf's listed are bear side etf's. Even more so in light of my very bearish argument. You are taking me to task here like I am in a court room.

In any event, you may be right that I stepped over the line so please accept my apology if I offended but I too felt your statement was offensive so lets just leave it at that and agree to disagree.

Mar 25 06:16 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    pdtor

I actually think they wanted everyone to notice what they said. These guys do blow it from time to time but they aren't that stupid. That comment was part of an agenda and the agenda is to push the euro lower. Market didn't cooperate initially so they made the comment and finally the euro sold off. Just my opinion.

Mar 25 05:39 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rope

Thanks for the input. I honestly think the Fed and the ECB recognize that current fiscal and monetary policy is failing badly and that the policies can't be carried on much longer. At some point you've got to change course and I think they have done that.

It takes a little deductive reasoning to come to that conclusion and I could be wrong but I don't think so. I find it interesting that the market went up initially on what was clearly bad news with the Cyprus deal and that is not what I think the EU wanted at this point and so they tell us what they want with even more emphasis with Dijsselbloem's comments.

I really don't think this is just a series of bad moves by the EU - I think it is very deliberate and being done to push the euro lower and to force a completion of the delveraging that is needed.

Mar 25 05:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Herzle

"Would the corporations rush to bring it back to the states or leave it there to be 'taxed'?

I can't imagine leaving the money in EU banks - especially after Cyprus and now Dijsselbloem's comments. I would be arranging to move that money as fast as I could. 40% is a big deal but so are "capital controls" that the ECB could impose on the money as they have in Cyprus. In other words, we take 40% but we aren't going to give you the other 60% until we decide to.

Mar 25 05:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    For one, the US private sector banking system is in much better shape than the EU banks. Second, our treasuries are highy regarded and in demand. Third, the Fed has the exclusive power to print money and no such exclusive power exists in the EU. Fourth, although we have problems, we are clearly the best of a bad lot. Fifth, we have both a fiscal and a monetary system unlike the EU.

That is just a partial list.

If you want someone to defend the Fed you aren't going to get it from me. I think they have gone way to far with monetary policy and also feel they have pushed the limits regarding their two mandates. The Fed is on record regarding the "wealth effect" agenda and acknowledges that stocks have climbed because of their policy. That is not one of their mandates. I have written quite a lot on this subject by the way and if you are really interested in my views I recommend you might want to read them.

That said, the US is a much safer haven than the EU at the present for the reasons I set forth above.

Mar 25 05:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    pm

"And before you again resort to personal attacks, let me remind you of your required disclosure posted in your profile."

What exactly did you mean by that statement?

First you suggest my analysis is for the purpose of talking my position which makes no sense to me unless you think I can talk the stock market down to my benefit with my articles. Then you attempt to discredit me with readers with the disclosure that I wrote myself and placed in my bio for all to see - again for what purpose I don't know.

And now you are accusing me of "personal attacks". I make note of the fact that you are an attorney but this is not a court room and I am not on trial here.

Mar 25 04:58 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    For those who care here is the disclosure that can be found on my bio regarding your statement above:

(Pursuant to the Seeking Alpha policy regarding disclosure the author acknowledges that he was found in violation of state securites statutes 20 years ago regarding the sale of unregistered securities. The violations did not rise to the level of being barred from the industry.)
    Mar 25 04:07 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Here is another comment along the same line. I am really sick of this. Markets need to go higher based on good fundmentals and a healthy economy - not on trying to deceive investors into thinking the economy is healthy when it isn't. These comments speak volumes about the nature of many of the industries pundits.

"Market's didn't like it when Jeroen Dijsselbloem, who heads the Eurogroup of euro-zone finance ministers, was quoted earlier today as saying Cyprus would be a new template for resolving banking crises throughout the euro zone. Now he's said the exact opposite via Twitter, and markets don't seem to be buying it. Obviously, it would be quite difficult to make investors believe the earlier comments were simply a slip of the tongue. But even more so, it only reinforces what many traders now believe -- that the handling of the Cyprus situation has been a debacle from the start to finish, and the people in charge will mess things up even worse if the same thing repeated itself on a larger scale in Italy or Spain. Euro at $1.2864, down 1%." (ira.iosebashvili@dowj...
    Mar 25 03:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Here is what Greg Anderson of Citi said about Dijsselbloem's comment. It is quite similar to some of the nonsense being offered by a few of my readers:

"The back-and-forth about Dijsselbloem's comment on Cyprus being a template for future bailouts is "not healthy for internal euro-zone relations" since it highlights the tensions between small and large euro-zone economies, says Greg Anderson of Citi. If the larger economies continue to dictate that smaller countries can never have banking systems bigger than the euro-zone average, that reduces the appeal of being a euro member, Anderson adds. Dijsselbloem's retraction is helpful, "but it doesn't take it back." EUR/USD last at 1.2865, down 1% on day, unable to bounce back above $1.29, where it stood before the original report."

In other words, please Mr. Dijsselbloem's, don't rain on our parade with facts and truisms - we would prefer to be kept in the dark. At least we would prefer that investors be kept in the dark.
    Mar 25 03:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    pm

My call on the market is not based on fabricated evidence or bad data and that is your implication. It is offensive and of no value whatsoever to anyone.

I will debate with anybody on the merits of my argument but I have very little use for those who KNOW NOTHING as is the case with you. If the best you can offer is that I am talking my position then you offer absolutley nothing of value to this discussion - nothing at all.

Just go "buy the dip" or if you would prefer, go do your homework as I do and then formulate an intelligent comment based on data and offer it into the discussion.

Mar 25 03:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Eagle

You believe in the myth and that is fine. Here is a great opportunity to "buy the dip" again.

In the end fundamentals do matter and the fundamentals are horrendous.

Mar 25 02:30 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    He did say this though - right?

"If there is a risk in a bank, our first question should be 'Okay, what are you in the bank going to do about that? What can you do to recapitalise yourself?'. If the bank can't do it, then we'll talk to the shareholders and the bondholders, we'll ask them to contribute in recapitalising the bank, and if necessary the uninsured deposit holders,"

I've been saying this never was about Cyprus and it isn't. The EU wants the euro down and they want to complete the deleveraging that needs to happen. They have decided to do what is needed no matter how politically unpalatable it is and I suspect Bernanke is in on this fix as well although we won't here that said.

Mar 25 02:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    bob

You are 100% correct. Cash hoarding seems inexplicable to the industry pundits but it is easily explained. We have a house of cards that will collapse and the best place to be is in cash and not cash in EZ banks.

How many companies have accounts in the Eurozone do you think? My guess is that money is being moved regardless of tax consequence. Apparently there are some that don't think a collapse in the EU will impact the US.

Mar 25 02:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Carlos

I know - I read the whole message - just copied part of it. They have changed the rules and nobody gets it yet. The idea that US markets won't be impacted here is insane but few seem to have gotten the message yet.

Thanks for the input Carlos.

Mar 25 01:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    mattm

Geez, enough of this herd mentality. Go some place else to spew this garbage. I listened all day to the giddy "we solved the problem" buy the dip bulls. Here is a good dip for you - just buy it.

Mar 25 01:35 PM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment