Josh Burwick

View Josh Burwick's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Chainsaw Mark Cutting Into Oracle's Marine Core As Workday Looms [View article]
    The focus of the article was not to argue for an investment in WDAY, I agree the valuation is extremely frothy.
    Aug 10 02:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks. What do you think it is about Mark that has caused this reaction in folks, especially ORCL salespeople?
    Aug 10 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for the insightful comments. Seems like Larry Ellison more focused on padding his sailing resume and the future of the America's Cup than Oracle's future.
    Aug 10 01:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Symantec: One Tech Stock That Controls Its Own Destiny On The Way To 30% Upside [View article]
    The main thrust of my article was that SYMC controlled its own destiny through cost cutting given the poor job previous management did post acquisitions. The cost cutting is still in the early stages and there is more upside to come. I think at the 30 level or 13x '14 the stock fully embeds the cost cuts and then requires revenue growth to go higher. The reason its worth more is that instead of paying middle managers, post the layoffs, that money is dropping to the bottom line. There is still a good amount of fat to be trimmed so cost cuts can still be had. In terms of the severance packages all the analysts, right or wrong, back that out from their pro forma earnings as they will view it as "one time" although thats clearly not the case. The salesforce reorg is just being effected so this upcoming quarter should start to show revenue acceleration. Whether or not they are properly positioned in mobile security where the growth in their security business will come from is up for debate. Bottom line with the stock getting into the high 20s its a lot less interesting as I think fair value is 30 but I wouldnt bet against CEO Bennett. Hope that helps.
    Aug 3 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seeking Alpha fires a shot at Bloomberg, StreetAccount [View news story]
    Start with ticker. Also you need to have a little history so its not just the most current headline on the screen. I would suggest showing the first two lines of the story and hiding the main story with the option to "expand" if the user clicks on it. That way you can show many stories on the front page without the user having to go into the Market Currents to see back stories. Keep up the great work.
    Jul 29 07:59 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Angie's List Underwater And Deteriorating Further [View article]
    Everyone so negative but stock bouncing. There are definitely bulls on this stock, unreal. Looks like shorts were aggressive in first hour of trading and are not out of ammo.
    Jul 25 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Angie's List Underwater And Deteriorating Further [View article]
    its a technical indicator. Just google demark indicators. Demark 13 is just the ultimate buy/sell signal once confirmed and it has registered for angi
    Jul 25 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Angie's List Underwater And Deteriorating Further [View article]
    ANGI also registering a Demark 13 sell. Now is the time to short this thing. Anyone with a good handle on options have the best way to play with puts?
    Jul 25 08:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Angie's List Underwater And Deteriorating Further [View article]
    Excellent article. I would also note the emergence of Home Advisor with the tag line- Why Pay for Her List? - Our Service is Free - HomeAdvisor.com‎- that shows up when you Google Angie's List. I know personally I am being bombarded by discounted offers from Angie's List to sign up at 40% off or more (stopped reading the offers). The only part of the article I might argue is the banks will let ANGI borrow in hopes of getting a nice secondary equity deal. Although real tough to do a secondary when your stock is under serious pressure. Great article and analysis!
    Jul 25 08:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shorts Crowd In For Samsung S4 Play But Overlook The Forest For The Trees [View article]
    Thanks Ashraf. Take a look at ctxs and ffiv from last night, got those right but brcm was definitely one in the loss column.
    Jul 25 06:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I was wrong on this one. TI licensing IP to samsung or apple is bad, connectivity overhang wont lift anytime soon. Much better places to put your money. Moving on.
    Jul 24 07:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well where do I start with the response here. I have been covering technology stocks for 15 years starting at Goldman Sachs and then on the buy side at Moore Capital and others. The fact I wrote a children's book is a side interest that I did for my three boys, unrelated to tech investing but that should go without saying. In terms of stock ideas they don't all have to be about products/services, some although not as exciting can be about turnarounds and reorgs. If you want exciting products from SYMC check out their mobile security offering led by VeriSign exec. But my thrust was to highlight what I believe will move the stock not to do a full detailed report on who Symantec is, there are plenty of sell side notes for that.
    Jul 14 09:09 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The thrust of my article was what was important to the stock- reorganization and margin leverage not their products. Their products are well known- security and storage software (ie Veritas). If I was to write a complete report on Symantec it would include their products but that wasnt my intention.
    Jul 13 03:32 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tech Name On Sale And About To Break Out [View article]
    No I didn't mean that although they were an acquisition target a few years back. If stock goes lower they may be actively pursued.
    Jun 27 07:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Red Hat: Take Advantage Of Investors Being Offsides For 10%+ Move This Week [View article]
    P/E is not the best way to look at a subscription model name. RHT collects at the minimum a full year up front, average length is 21 months for a contract. It then spreads revenue over the course of the year but the revenue is in hand. Why should a subscription model be penalized vs. prior software license model where the revenue was recognized all in one qtr? Best way in my view is FCF b/c cash doesn't lie and it gives credit for the cash they have billed and collected. On a FCF basis the stock trades at 18x '13 which is cheap for a prior 30% grower transitioning to 20% growth over the next few years. Compare that to SAAS median of 29x '13 fcf. Its also cheap for a company who is the leader in open source with $7 per share in cash, buying back stock, excellent execution (knock on wood for tonight) and a highly attractive acquisition candidate. So yes all in I think RHT is cheap.
    Jun 19 10:54 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment