Josh Young

View Josh Young's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Civeo Blows Up: More Bad News For Texas [View article]
    Mark, to your point, the focus should be less on Civeo's low paid employees and more on the high paying jobs previously held by the people Civeo's empty facilities used to house.
    Dec 30, 2014. 11:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Civeo Blows Up: More Bad News For Texas [View article]
    Also, I read that Civeo is laying off 30%+ of their Texas workforce
    Dec 30, 2014. 10:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Drop In Oil Prices 'Going To Make Things Ugly... Quickly': Dallas Fed Data Out [View article]
    I agree. In the meantime, I'm shorting some particularly vulnerable companies whose stocks haven't traded down at all. Its bizarre seeing some stocks implode and others at 52 week highs!
    Dec 30, 2014. 10:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Civeo Blows Up: More Bad News For Texas [View article]
    You mean an article like this? http://seekingalpha.co...

Or like this? http://seekingalpha.co...

There are many angles to look at this from. While the majority of Civeo's workforce is not based in Houston, I do think that its predicament is relevant to the broader problems facing the Texas economy.
    Dec 30, 2014. 12:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Civeo Blows Up: More Bad News For Texas [View article]
    And yet, their corporate headquarters are in the US (they've talked about moving to Canada but haven't seemed to yet). This is one of many companies serving the oil industry that is based in Houston and is being negatively affected by the downturn in oil prices...
    Dec 30, 2014. 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SLB is down 28% from its peak earlier this year, I wouldn't call that unaffected
    Dec 30, 2014. 11:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Civeo Blows Up: More Bad News For Texas [View article]
    Civeo itself will have a di minimis impact on Houston, as Mark is right, most of their facilities are not in Texas. The point is, energy companies and companies that serve the energy industry directly or indirectly are suffering. And this will translate to a substantial negative economic impact.
    Dec 30, 2014. 11:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    SLB is down 28% from its peak earlier this year. I wouldn't call that unaffected
    Dec 30, 2014. 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I'm buying select undervalued E&Ps that have traded down too much and shorting oil economy related stocks that haven't traded down yet.
    Dec 29, 2014. 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am not, I am shorting specific companies that have untenable financial situations. Are you?
    Dec 29, 2014. 07:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Major, thanks for the comment. I'm honing in on what specifically to focus on. I've take some small specific positions that I'm not yet ready to talk about.

I actually got this idea from an astute friend who lives in Houston. He pointed out that the homebuilders were way over their skiis in the area. But I think before the homebuilders get hit, ... gets hit
    Dec 29, 2014. 07:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Right? It will be interesting to see how they word next month's release!
    Dec 29, 2014. 04:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    bbro, thanks for the comment. I agree there is some difference between the areas, but my understanding is that a lot of the mineral rights and shares in companies are held by people based in Dallas, Austin, etc. And that oil money has been used to fund a lot of the growth in those areas, similar to how Dubai has no oil but is a beneficiary of neighboring Gulf states that have oil
    Dec 29, 2014. 04:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Texas manufacturing activity picks up pace [View news story]
    Yorick, there were orders that are being filled, but new orders are harder to come by, so things may slow down next year
    Dec 29, 2014. 03:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Liquidity Curse [View article]
    I haven't seen this phenomenon in the oil and gas sector
    Dec 29, 2014. 02:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment