Josh Young

View Josh Young's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Seeking Alpha Top Idea Explained In Non Technical Language - AusTex Oil [View article]
    I most recently bought ATXDY, perhaps that answers your question?
    Feb 3, 2014. 02:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SandRidge Mississippian Trust I: Oil Volumes Disappoint Again [View article]
    Yeah, the MLPs and the trusts are pretty different.

Great article as usual Richard.

Question for you, if you're looking in the Mississippian, have you looked at Austex? Seems like it would be right up your alley- plenty of well results and data in their area, and radically undervalued...
    Feb 3, 2014. 01:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon, Chevron, Conoco And Shell Disappoint [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. The company has not yet disclosed its annual reserve report. Analysts are saying to look for it in mid-February. So we may see the level and value of their reserves then.
    Jan 31, 2014. 03:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Battleground Growth Stocks: Facebook, Tesla And Netflix [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. Seeking Alpha tends to do a pretty good job of getting interesting investment ideas out there. Here is a link to an article I wrote about one small cap I own a lot of and personally find very attractive http://seekingalpha.co...
    Jan 31, 2014. 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Battleground Growth Stocks: Facebook, Tesla And Netflix [View article]
    If you run a $10 billion hedge fund or a hundred billion dollar mutual fund, it makes no sense to buy $5-10 million of a $100 million stock like Austex. Even if you triple your money in a year, it is just a rounding error.

However, if you are not personally a billionaire, tripling your money on a sub $10 million investment is obviously much more material.

Since there are lots of really smart, well capitalized investors out there competing for larger opportunities, it makes sense to focus on smaller opportunities, where there may be more attractive risk-adjusted returns available.
    Jan 31, 2014. 11:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Synergy Resources Offering A Lot Of Exploration Upside [View article]
    Interesting perspective. Have you looked at Austex? Could be an interesting value priced long to pair with your SYRG short.
    Jan 31, 2014. 02:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Battleground Growth Stocks: Facebook, Tesla And Netflix [View article]
    Thanks, I appreciate that. Its amazing to me that individual investors buy in to multi-billion dollar momentum plays and think they have some kind of edge or somehow are going to earn above-market returns.

Skill aside, value-priced, smaller cap stocks statistically perform much better than the market. And with some skill, they perform even better...
    Jan 30, 2014. 02:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Synergy Resources Offering A Lot Of Exploration Upside [View article]
    Interesting article. I think your valuation might be a little aggressive, and saying that Synergy's extension acreage is "near" some of the other operators you mentioned (and implying similar prospectivity) is maybe a little aggressive, considering resistivity and TOC maps I showed in this article: http://seekingalpha.co...

Also, given the run in SYRG, don't you think it makes sense to look for similar growth stocks at perhaps a slightly earlier stage (and at a radically lower valuation)? For example, what about Austex, which looks a lot like SYRG a year ago except at ~1/3 the valuation? http://seekingalpha.co...
    Jan 29, 2014. 02:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Antero Resources' Massive Utica Well Results [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. Maybe, but 30 mmcfe/d IP rate wells are certainly eye catching, and probably give us a clue as to where sweet spots might be.
    Jan 28, 2014. 06:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    As I said above, "I like Dan a lot, but I think it became inefficient for the company to have had an Australian based CEO at this point in its lifecycle. This move should significantly reduce Austex's overhead. And a US- based CEO could add increased focus / improvements to both operations and investor relations."

Let me emphasize: Dan did a great job keeping the company alive for years, particularly through the crash. He got me involved and got other early backers involved, through persistently meeting with me every time he came through town, and being tirelessly and unabashedly optimistic. He made me money and left on a high note.
    Jan 28, 2014. 02:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jan 27, 2014. 02:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nathan, I think thats pretty much it. I'm going to write an article about that at some point.
    Jan 26, 2014. 12:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Five Of The Fastest Growing E&P Companies [View article]
    I looked at Lynden closely, trades at a premium to proved reserve value and was historically heavily promoted. Perhaps it will get interesting if Mitchell Ranch works out, but it looks like that ranch is too far east away from industry activity. I'm not sure why you'd own Lynden rather than Austex, particularly considering the positive changes Austex is going through that are mitigating your concerns.
    Jan 24, 2014. 05:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Eagle Ford Shale: Economic Side Effects Of Downspacing [View article]
    Great article, really interesting. Perhaps this means there may be less downspacing than is currently being forecast, which could lead to less rapid and less capital efficient production growth, supporting the price of oil...
    Jan 24, 2014. 04:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Its an in-the-money preferred at this point. Likely not worth 60% more than intrinsic value - the value gap closes considerably as the stock appreciates. There are models for this. I'd rather not spend the time running the analysis, but my thought is maybe a ~20% premium to IV.

I'll caveat by saying this and all of my comments are subject to the disclaimer in the article. I am not giving official valuation advice, just sharing personal thoughts which should be taken as such.
    Jan 24, 2014. 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment