Judy Weil

View SA Editor Judy Weil's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Homebuilders Agree: January Was A Good Month [View article]
    Dear Equity Has No Clue,

I'm neither long the homebuilders, nor trying to push up or down those stocks. I don't own, have not owned, nor am I short any of them. I am simply pointing out that the homebuilders mentioned above all noted an upturn in sales in January. I don't have the slightest clue as to whether this means the housing slump is turning or is just pausing for air before the industry slips further in to the doldrums.

The homebuilder executives themselves weren't certain. Pulte's, as mentioned above, doesn't see any improvement on the horizon, while Ryland's and Horton's were more positive on the general trend.

I once read an article on Seeking Alpha written by a housing analyst who said he was watching the conference calls of homebuilders. He said the moment they displayed any sort of positive data or noted any positive trends, then that would be the first indication of a turn in the market for him. I, of course, don't have any idea if that is true, but for those that do subscribe to that theory, then here you have the first signs of a positive trend.

Many of the articles that I have read on housing point to further declines ahead, so I would say one month's sales would be pretty risky to use as a bottom indicator.

The point of this article, and conference call excerpts in general is to highlight how much information we can glean from the free conference call transcripts that Seeking Alpha offers.

Whether you buy in to homebuilder-executive-... or not, the fact that this trend can be gleaned by simply reading all of their transcripts, which are free and easily accessible and don't take too long to read, is probably the most important part of this entire article!

All the best,

Judy
    Feb 10 08:13 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What the Thumbs Up with That? [View instapost]
    Thank you, DM, for taking the time to write this, and to the rest of you for adding your thoughts. I've been with SA almost from the beginning, and I can tell you that this has been an important issue to us from the start. If 'I may say so ourselves', we are pretty on top of abuse cases. All of us editors have to review the comment streams on the articles we publish regularly. Plus there are people monitoring all comments independently of that. But no system is foolproof and how to make it better is something we are constantly considering.

The guiding principle has always been: If we can develop a community with a level of discourse that is respectful as well as insightful and interesting, then we will truly be unique. Everyone wants to be part of something that is of high quality.

So, I like Eli's summation of your ideas, although I think there should be something in between 'report abuse' and 'great comment'. Some of our readers get carried away and they should learn to be more respectful. I'm just worried that if we block the borderline cases completely, people will start to cry: 'censorship!'

What do you think?
    Nov 9 03:39 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's on Apple and Microsoft [View article]
    Dear readers,

I apologize for the misleading title. I chose it and not the author, and it was a poor choice!
    Thanks for your feedback and my apologies to the author, Andy Zaky, as well.

Judy Weil
    Opinion and Analysis Editor
    Jul 25 01:03 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Smart Phone Threat to Sirius XM [View article]
    As noted above, the title was changed by SA, not by the author.
    Mar 30 12:31 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Gold the Best Asset Class Under Any Market Conditions? [View article]
    Reported them- thanks for your vigilance!
    Nov 9 04:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is This A Death Spiral For Solar Companies? [View article]
    The typo has been fixed. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Best,

Judy
    Oct 9 05:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Smart Phone Threat to Sirius XM [View article]
    The title was changed by SA, not by the author.
    Mar 30 12:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect Apple to Lead Tablet Race Too [View article]
    Dear Readers,

The typos mentioned above have been fixed. We really appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to note spelling and grammar mistakes. This sort of dialogue is one of the Seeking Alpha community's greatest strengths. Keep up the good work!
    Jan 11 03:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Little Book that Beats the Market: Chapters 12 & 13 [View article]
    The mistake was ours, not the author's. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
    Nov 2 08:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Weyerhaeuser's Results Reflect on Timber REITs [View article]
    Dear Scimitar,

If you read the transcript, Weyerhaeuser execs say they have cut down on logging quite a bit. A good portion of their harvest came from the retrieval of timber that had been felled during storms and natural disasters. It seems what you say is accurate and will likely emerge more clearly as a trend in next quarter's results.

To read the transcript, you can click on the link in the article.

ATB,
    Judy
    Feb 12 02:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Homebuilders Agree: January Was A Good Month [View article]
    Dear Bill,

Interesting comment. Are you seeing banks lower their prices on REOs or just builders and investors unloading what they have?

After seeing prices go down so drastically in many places, I keep wondering how prices could go down so much further as projected by so many economists and insiders. I think Schiller is expecting 10%-15% more declines nationally.

I've been wondering lately if maybe the hardest-hit areas like California, Florida, Nevada and Arizona, are starting to stabilize in terms of prices (sales are up in California and Fla.) and that maybe the further declines that are expected nationally will come from the places that have not been hit so hard yet, like New York, Seattle, and North Carolina, etc.

The fact that you are seeing (cautious) signs of a bottom in Nevada strengthens that idea-- but who knows?? There have been signs of stabilization before and then further declines.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts, as always,

Judy

Mcrem51 and Chipseal, glad you find this useful.
    Feb 11 12:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seven Key Points From Simon Property Group's Q408 Conference Call [View article]
    Dear Adam Sharp,
    Excellent point. SPG execs spent a great deal of time trying to convince analysts that things will be ok soon, Q4 was ok, they are well positioned, small retailers need SPG more than SPG needs them, etc., etc.
    Will be interesting to see what happens.

-Judy
    Feb 4 01:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Conference Call Highlights: Update on Retail and Mall REITs [View article]
    To Xom-only,

I prefer to locate and give over the information, then let people draw their own conclusions. I hope the conference call excerpts are helpful.

To Moosebump and Jegan,

Duly noted and I've removed BXP, VNO and BPO, all of which have retail exposure, to better examples of purely retail REITs.

I included VNO because Yahoo Finance lists the company as a competitor to SPG, GGP and MAC, and then BXP and BPO in line with VNO. But as you noted, there are better examples out there.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Judy
    Jan 17 03:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Paychex Warns About Small Businesses [View article]
    Dear Crocodilian,

Excellent point. I've been reading conference call transcripts from all sorts of industries for a while now. Your comment crystallized in my mind what I have been seeing in every industry, without exception: The language of uncertainty. No one really knows what's going to happen next.
    As much as the Fed and the government are trying to help, and even, (which I know some commenters above will not agree with) the banks, there is so much uncertainty. Will banks loosen lending criteria? Will consumers start buying homes and cars again? Will the stock market go up or down again? It seems almost like a coin toss at this point. With so much uncertainty and pessimism, let's hope Americans are all contrarians.

Thanks for your insight,

Judy
    Jan 7 01:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • KKR's Double Whammy [View article]
    I've clarified things a bit better. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Judy