Juggler

View Juggler's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Germans hack iPhone fingerprint scanner [View news story]
    This is whole story is just BS. To "hack" the sensor they took a 2400 dpi photo of the fingerprint with a DSLR, then had to use a laser print, some latex and so on. How are you supposed to do that in real life? Say "excuse me, turn your hand please, I'd like to take a picture of your fingerprints"?
    All the fingerprints that you leave behind normally (say, on a glass of water) would not be sufficient to deceive the sensor.
    This just proves how hard you have to try to fool this sensor. Barely more feasible than forcing the owner of the fingerprint to place her finger on the sensor.
    Sep 23, 2013. 07:11 AM | 18 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Apple Now While It's Cheap [View article]
    Feel free to do so.
    I am writing from my fast, sleek iPad with retina display, my iPhone 5 is the most stunning piece of hardware out there, my MacBook Pro is 2 years old and still runs smoothly as when I bought it to replace my old HP desktop with windows vista (which froze every two minutes).

It's like driving a Ferrari spending a few hundreds bucks more than for a Kia. Feel free to stay on the Kia, I'll keep going with my iDevices which are the simplest and best ecosystem out there.
    Oct 10, 2012. 05:11 PM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's is out with its list of the 500 financially strongest companies as ranked after a rigorous cash and sales analysis. A quick filter on the list shows a good chunk of the names trade with a single-digit price to earnings ratio including Goodyear Tire & Rubber (GT). Despite all the buzz about booming auto sales in the U.S. and China, concerns about growth for Goodyear's products in other regions of the globe have lowered expectations. But with auto sale estimates for full-year being taken higher, Goodyear could see enough consistent revenue growth to justify a higher trading multiple. (Top 25: AAPL, WCC, WDC, DVA, CHRW, QCOM, JOY, V, STX, MRC, MA, CVI, COF, SYMC, MCK, WCG, ETN, BRCM, TMO, CI, CBI, NOV, WNR, HFC, DK[View news story]
    Is it just me or they have sent this same update via email four times?
    May 5, 2013. 03:50 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple $395: Time To Give Up And Abandon Ship? [View article]
    As much as taking Apple private makes sense (the whole Apple mentality and culture makes the company look much more suitable for being private than public: in fact, SJ had always seen Wall Street as nothing else than a necessary evil) nobody really has the money - not even Apple itself (yet). Interesting thought though.
    Apr 19, 2013. 02:51 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Is Trading At 60-75% Premium To Its Sum Of Parts Valuation [View article]
    If windows phone 8 is a success is really big if. Not to mention the fact that the flagship windows 8 phone, the Lumia 920, is still nowhere in sight and, in my personal opinion, I think it will end up like its predecessors. We will find out in January.

As for these iPhone 5 (not i-phone 5) "glitches", I own one, and I don't see any.
    - purple haze? never happened, and even if it did I don't think it is a big problem: just take another picture
    - easier scratches and dents? no I don't think so, my iPhone is still perfect, and I'm pretty sure my old 4S was more fragile
    - defects out of the box? not on mine, neither on all the others at the Apple Store where I bought it on the launch day. maybe there could be a few out of 10 millions sold in less than 2 weeks, but is it really relevant? a few out of millions?
    - mapsgate? Apple maps are faster, gorgeous compared to google maps. Do they have a few glitches? sure they do, but they're also two weeks old compared to the 7years old google maps, and you can still access google maps on their website
    Oct 9, 2012. 07:48 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    The German hack is just BS. To "hack" the sensor they took a 2400 dpi photo of the fingerprint with a DSLR, then had to use a laser print, some latex and so on. How are you supposed to do that in real life? Say "excuse me, turn your hand please, I'd like to take a picture of your fingerprints"?
    Sep 23, 2013. 07:08 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple $395: Time To Give Up And Abandon Ship? [View article]
    Thanks for your comment! Indeed a dividend boost seems likely, but I wouldn't count on it, especially since the yield is now not so far from 3%.
    I'm actually confident that the growth investors will pile back in as soon Tim Cook decides to churn out one of the great things that seems to be in the pipeline.
    The fact that currently the market has less confidence in Apple than in Dell is ludicrous. Apple sub-$400 could be the once in a decade buy-opportunity.
    Apr 19, 2013. 02:59 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Needs A Staggering Breakthrough, And Quickly [View article]
    I didn't miss them, I simply didn't wanted to state something that, as you said, was already there in the other articles here on SA.
    Furthermore, this article was actually written before the 13Fs were disclosed yesterday/today.
    The final sentence of the article should be in focus here:
    "whether a new product, a partnership with a big carrier, a sudden willfulness to deploy the cash, Apple needs something to shake the bears off and reinvigorate the bulls, who are slowly losing their faith. Until then, the upside is greatly precluded."
    If Apple doesn't pull out of a hat something big, all these guys who liquidated their position in AAPL are not going to come back in...
    We (longs) need something from the company able to shake all this negative sentiment around the stock to enjoy another nice run-up- Without that "something", it is not going to happen (IMHO).
    Feb 15, 2013. 11:19 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "even if we give AAPL a 50% premium to its competitors multiples, the stock still looks expensive"

Are you really comparing Nokia and RIM to Apple? Two rotten stocks on the edge of bankruptcy and a conglomerate which mainly sells house appliances and flat screens with the most valuable company on earth with 130 $ billion in cash and still growing by a rate of 60%+ a year?
    Oct 9, 2012. 06:24 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Apple Expensive At 5x Cash Holdings? [View article]
    For the first half you tell us that Apple is still cheap, and then you bring up arguments (that IMO are not meaningful) to say that it is not:

- "Can Apple still innovate and come out with products in an economy" Yes, that's the million dollar question. In the case Apple couldn't , who would innovate? Nokia? I don't think so

- "Nearly 55% of mobile subscribers in the US own a smartphone" So what? Most of these are Android, you still have 45% to capture and you're not even mentioning foreign markets like China, which will be the pivot for Apple earnings in the next few years

- "My second concern relates to cash and its use" I mean, have you read Apple history? Apple's biggest acquisition is Next, and since then they've only acquired very small companies (at least under the half billion mark). They're no Google, you're not going to see your MMI acquisition for 12 billion if that's what you fear: this is simply not what Apple does.

Lastly, I can tell you for sure that Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs either, but he was the best on the market according to the latter. So I'm sticking with the company and I'm very confident in Tim's future doings.
    Oct 18, 2012. 08:02 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Shares Are In The Reign Of Uncertainty [View article]
    MishaF, thanks for your comment.
    The Mac actually hasn't reaped 50% of PC sales, it has helped, but the slowing in these latter should be attributed to the iPad and the rise of the tablet /smartphone in general.
    What is astonishing about the Mac is that with less than a 12% share of the PC market it managed to rake almost 50% of the market's profits. Arguably, though, the Mac contributes way less than the iPhone to Apple's bottom line (15%-20% compared with 50%+ of the iPhone).
    You're right, I might have done a better comparison, but my point was that, for diverse reasons (recounted later in the article), Apple's profits from the iPhone could shrink (not that it is any news, but the citation that I posted offers an interesting point of view on the way it could effectively happen), with this latter going therefore "the way of the Mac".
    Jun 23, 2013. 06:29 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Is It Really Too Cheap To Ignore? [View article]
    Ryan you do have some good points. However, this (almost) $300 downfall not only has caused a lot of pain for many retail investors, but is just terrible for the sentiment surrounding the company.
    Do you think that it doesn't have an influence on sales the fact that the medias go on saying that the stock is falling because Apple has lost its cool factor, that it cannot innovate anymore?
    Furthermore, Cook is doing poorly also in this battle with Samsung. Think about this simple thing: ads. Samsung is airing ads aimed directly at Apple which go viral on the web. And while Apple's new iPad ads are cute, they don't have the "hip" factor that, for example, the "Get a Mac" campaign used to have. This again plays all in Samsung's favor.
    Mar 8, 2013. 04:54 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: Abandon Ship Before It Sinks [View article]
    Exportman, first of all, what the hell matters if I'm in Italy? If I was in NY right now you'd be happier?
    Then, I don't think the background of a person is the real deal in picking stocks: you could have a 30-years expertise and still lose a ton of money.
    Read my arguments, if you find them valid, then maybe think about following my suggestion. If you think my article is crap, that's a good reason for not following my advice, not the fact that I am just an MBA student.
    Dec 3, 2012. 04:52 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google's (GOOG +0.1%) sell-side PTs have been surging as shares continue trading above $900 following a torrent of I/O news. The I/O news demonstrates "Google remains one of the most innovative and forward thinking companies of this generation," gushes Topeka, which has raised its PT to $999. Baird's PT is now at $1,025, and Argus' at $1,065. In some respects, the mood resembles that surrounding Apple not too long ago. [View news story]
    Quite some differences though... At $700 AAPL had 20% of its market cap in cash, with a 15 PE. At $900 GOOG has 13% of its market cap in cash (and no 1.5% dividend), with a 27 PE.
    Not double the valuation but close..
    May 17, 2013. 02:57 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google (GOOG) officially unveils the Chromebook Pixel, a touchscreen laptop meant to take on the MacBook Air and Windows 8/RT ultrabooks and convertibles. Whereas existing Chromebooks are typically low-end systems running on ARM CPUs, the Pixel starts at $1,299, is powered by an Intel (INTC) Core i5 CPU, and sports a 12.85," 2500x1700, touchscreen display The Verge calls "absolutely gorgeous." Two shortcomings: The device offers only 32GB-64GB of storage, and there's still a shortage of Chrome OS apps. (earlier[View news story]
    And yet again... Another Apple copycat. Look at the pictures on The Verge: a total ripoff of the MacBook Pro.
    And they say that Apple is dead. Google, blatantly copying another Apple product, just showed that this... just isn't true: they still can only aspire at what Apple does. For now, they just can copy Apple, not innovate more than it
    Feb 21, 2013. 05:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment