Justin Freed

View Justin Freed's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Pursuit Of Mediocrity - Fallacy Of Dollar Cost Averaging And The Abuse Of Indexing [View article]
    I have used DCA to develop positions for quite a while. I recognized many years ago that what makes the market go up or down at any given time may have nothing to do with the fundamentals of the security/market but rather, external factors I call "noise." Taking a position over 3, 6, or even 12 months (I usually don't go that far) is a better way, for me anyway, to reduce that noise. And, in today's low cost commission structure ($5-$10) trading costs aren't as relevant as they used to be (remember paying full service brokers $150 or so per trade a while ago. That's outrageous today - don't do that!).
    Jan 19 01:38 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investing: Have A Goal And A Plan On How To Reach It [View article]
    As an alternative point of view, I suggest skipping the traditional IRA and focus on making your goal to purchase high quality, dividend paying equities and hold them forever. In the IRA, the GOV requires you to take distributions starting at 70 1/2 and pay ordinary income taxes. Even your heirs (if you pass it on) will be required to take RMDs. In a taxable account where you are holding indefinitely, you get tax deferral on growth, no requirement to take RMDs and your heirs will get a step-up in basis!
    Jan 8 12:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Advantage Of The Bottleneck In The Natural Gas International Trade Industry With Cheniere [View article]
    "Despite this rent" indeed! Right now, there is only one way to get that LNG to locations such as Japan and that is by ship. Recognizing that a lot of shipping (especially oil) has been in the dumpster, pairing LNG tankers with the production plant has been a winner of sorts for me. I own both GLNG and GMLP (as well as CQP) which has worked out well...
    Jan 8 11:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Deeper Look At Visa's Long-Term Growth Potential [View article]
    Agree with Chuckxx...my initial position in V was on 3/20/2008 at $63.36/share and here we are today up 149% or so...I have given serious thought to selling actually.
    Jan 8 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NextEra Energy Dividend Stock Analysis [View article]
    Chart comparison of NEE-C and NEE over 5 yr. period. Which investment would you rather of had?

Nov 19 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Electric Beats Natural Gas Vehicles: It's All About The Re-Fueling Network [View article]
    Nice discussion but unfortunately, most of it is about the technical aspects of this vs. that. Technically, we can do just about anything we want but, what is really going to make things change is the economics of it all. If it were cheaper and easier to go all electric, that is what would be happening. If it were cheaper and easier to go Nat Gas, that is what would be happening...I know in the US, there is considerable activity with regards to a Nat Gas transportation infrastructure build out; not so with electric.
    May 9 12:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment