Justin Jaynes

View Justin Jaynes' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple: Becoming A Semiconductor Powerhouse [View article]
    Mark,

Although I don't disagree with your premise, your article seems to certain of itself, and I think you've made similar arguments before.
    Mar 31, 2015. 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BP - Buying This 6% Yielder Is Really A No-Brainer [View article]
    I own both - would like to add to $COP next though as right now I have a little more $BP
    Mar 18, 2015. 08:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Samsung S6 Will Keep Up Competition With Apple [View article]
    Resist,

I owned a feature phone until about 3 years ago when my wife washed my pants, which included my old LG filp phone. Since then, my wife and I have both had iPhones, my wife even slightly before mine, and we've never had ours fail. Her iPhone 4S still "feels" faster than my mother's Samsung last generation huge notepad phone (don't know Samsung naming conventions).

But to your point, I've never seen an iPhone fail - and know *tons* of people with iPhones, unless the phone was dropped or abused. In fairness, I've never seen a samsung fail either, but know far fewer people that use them.

Youre statistic is ridiculously misleading it seems. 2 failures out of every 5 phones implies a 40% failure rate for an iPhone. Maybe the 30 or 40 people I know that use iPhones are just lucky...
    Mar 17, 2015. 10:37 AM | 27 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If history's a guide, AT&T shareholders should celebrate Dow exit [View news story]
    Thinking about adding more $T as well
    Mar 8, 2015. 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Su Stakes Future On Low Power Carrizo [View article]
    Title seems heavy handed and off. Future is staked on diversification and new chips, not bulldozers final stand
    Feb 27, 2015. 10:29 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bloomberg: Apple's first car could arrive by 2020 [View news story]
    Am I the only one here that finds it weird that we've heard for years about an Apple TV we've never seen? Now we're looking at cars? I'll not hold my breath for a car until I've seen a TV from Apple first.
    Feb 19, 2015. 11:23 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Poorly Positioned In Tablets And Smartphones [View article]
    Alex,

"He cites this specific source in his argument. He believes AMD's (NASDAQ:AMD) tablet lineup of CPUs are superior to last-generation Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) parts, using flawed logic. However, his arguments are no longer relevant, because AMD no longer competes with Haswell parts. The Broadwell-Y series is the direct competitor to AMD's Mullins family of SoCs."

Mullins doesn't compete with Broadwell, or Haswell for that matter. It competes with Bay Trail, and soon cherry trail and the other lower cost Intel chips. Broadwell-Y is $100's more expensive than mullins.
    Feb 19, 2015. 01:55 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ARM Holdings Thrives Despite The Intel Onslaught [View article]
    One thing people tend to forget is ARMH's relatively low overhead compared to their competition as well.
    Feb 12, 2015. 12:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Happy Valentine’s Day from Intel [View article]
    Were they blue?
    Feb 11, 2015. 04:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Happy Valentine’s Day from Intel [View article]
    My wife would punch me in the unmentionables if I gave her a $99 tablet.
    Feb 11, 2015. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD: Why A Buyout Doesn't Really Make Sense [View article]
    Alex,

What's your source for saying amd pays Intel for licensing fees, and if that's the case then how much does Intel pay amd for x64? Your article contains some factual errors that should be corrected I believe.
    Feb 9, 2015. 08:24 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ARM Holdings May Be Worth A Look [View article]
    Michael - one thing to bear in mind, the core was just announced, so we're likely a year or more away from seeing anything in production.

I think Joel Hruska of extremetech had a pretty good write-up on the differences between A57 and A72:

Essentially, it seems to be designed for a phone first mentality, instead of phone and server part like the A57 and associated interconnect IP, based on the explanation in Joel's article.

All in all, I agree I'll look to establish a small position in ARM if we pull back to the low $40s. One thing I don't like about ARM and Qualcomm are the anemic yields, so if I'm going to go with these companies I would want a good entry so I can see the potential for some decent capital gains.
    Feb 5, 2015. 01:29 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Rumors: Separating Fact From Fiction [View article]
    Fib,

It's essentially a really big credit card, and is based on the size of accounts receivable. It essentially adds liquidity while they're waiting to get paid, from my understanding.

Here are the details.
    Feb 5, 2015. 11:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Rumors: Separating Fact From Fiction [View article]
    "The Rating Outlook is Stable. Fitch's actions affect approximately $2.6 billion of total debt, including the undrawn portion of the company's revolving credit facility (RCF)."

This is like saying their credit cards are maxed out, even though they are not.
    Feb 5, 2015. 10:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Report: AT&T, Verizon will sue FCC immediately after reclassification [View news story]
    Free - or neutral? Don't think free internet is on the table.
    Feb 4, 2015. 01:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment