Justin Jaynes

View Justin Jaynes' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple closes Beats deal; skepticism about October iPhone 6 report [View news story]
    Just hurry up and launch the phone and take my money...
    Aug 1 11:50 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Please Be Cautious, Apple Bulls [View article]
    I just sold some LEAPs against my shares - makes the dividend look tiny compared to covered call premiums.
    Aug 1 11:43 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Still A Buy [View article]
    Rand,

From April, you used to chastise me when I would say things like iGPUs were a strength for AMD, and always try and shift the focus to HSA. I pointed out to you that AMD must sell the cores to keep the lights on, so you're not saying anything that I haven't agreed with and stated before. But right now you're trying to twist my words and create a straw man because you don't like a particular wording above, so I'm not going to have a conversation or debate about something that we don't disagree on.

Here is where I stand:

1) Yes, AMD needs to sell these cores. I've stated this before to you back in April, as the links above show: Fact
    2) I don't care so much about the 2015 cores past the point that they serve as the backbone for the 2016 cores and to keep the lights on at AMD: Opinion
    3) 2015 cores will not feature the brand new from scratch cores Jim Keller talks about: Fact, look at the names of the cores on the SkyBridge 2015 slides: A57 and Puma+. Beema already uses Puma+
    4) This original conversation from above was about the brand new from scratch cores from Jim Keller: Fact
    5) I want AMD to sell more chips because that will increase those respective chip revenues: Fact (it is a fact that I want AMD to sell more chips, and selling more chips will increase chip revenue)
    6) So when I say I don't particularly care about the 2015 cores, and am more looking forward to see what the 2016 cores can do, this is my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

Please, quit twisting words, creating straw men, and hanging on very minute disagreements with word choice. How things should be worded is your opinion, but the comments from above show that you and I actually agree more now than when you used to chastise me in April. You used to rant when I would do things like point out that AMD has strength in iGPUs, and needs to play to that strength to sell chips: fact

This orginal thread was started about Jim Keller's first x86 cores showing up in 2015. I disagreed, and said I think the first actual cores will be 2016. Somehow you've managed to twist this into some crazy debate, so:

"The dude abides"
    Jul 31 02:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Still A Buy [View article]
    Rand,

And you're entitled to that opinion
    Jul 31 01:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Still A Buy [View article]
    Rand,

We'll have to agree to disagree.

So, yes, I do "care" (notice the specific choice of wording: "don't care *so much*) about the 2015 cores -but only so far as that they need to sell enough to pay the bills. I'm not expecting any huge leap in market share from them - and it's in this capacity that I "don't care so much".

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - above is mine.

I hope the 2015 cores do well enough to maintain stability in CS, and I disagree with your argument that a *potentially, drastically* better CPU architecture could do for AMD. Intel's financial reach can only go so far - think about the DIY market, for example. Consumer market is about 3x as big as the server market, so any traction among consumers (and Intel can't reach all of us) would be a big win for AMD.
    Jul 31 11:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Still A Buy [View article]
    Not quite sure if we're having the same conversation. My take is that the "from scratch" cores Keller is talking about are the second iteration of the sky ridge chips that are slated for 2016. I don't care so much about the 2015 chips, but the ones that will replace bulldozer. I'm not a bulldozer bashed by any stretch, but I think AMD's growth is limited until we get so e more competitive cores.
    Jul 31 12:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Investors Should Take Advantage Of AMD's Recent Dip [View article]
    I think AMD is behaving a little weird after this ER as well - I was figuring for a move lower that never materialized so I just started trimmed my position back (may still add or sell shares at anytime) to what I'm comfortable holding for the long haul (2016+)
    Jul 30 10:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Still A Buy [View article]
    Rand -

From my understanding, it's what you say, but for the x86 follow on to the Puma+ (whatever AMD names the 2016 x86 core)

I *think* a lot of what we'll see is that Puma in skybridge is tweaked Puma that is given HSA compatibility, and a lot of the new layout that you're discussing to make the A57 and Puma cores fit in the same "slot" on the SoC.

Don't know if we'll see a lot of low level tweaking between the two iterations. Like if you look at the leaks so far for Airmont (follow on to Silvermont) - there doesn't seem (again, based on leaks so this may not be accurate) to be a lot of changes between Silvermont and Airmont, save higher clocks for the later.

Also - puma+ is the name AMD is already giving to the cores in Beema/Mullins

*Edit* if you look at some more slides - it shows "power optimized A57" for the ARM core used in SkyBridge - K12 and x86 sister core to k12 are where Keller is talking about "sharing the DNA"
    Jul 30 10:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Still A Buy [View article]
    Thanks Steven - to make sure I'm understanding correctly - one off dividend = special dividend to meet the 90% payout ratio?
    Jul 30 03:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Still A Buy [View article]
    thanks Jag - I'll take a look. I used the strength today to trim back my AMD position and will see if NNN looks like a good use of the cash.
    Jul 30 03:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: The Apple Juggernaut Should Be In Every Retirement Portfolio Right Now [View article]
    RS - even if the comment were directed at me, the message threads would be more comical :D

I just find it odd that no one talks about CarPlay on Seeking Alpha. The auto industry is nearly a 65M+ TAM, yet most of the cars produced are dumb. Someone think of the children, and start making these cars smart.
    Jul 30 09:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I like CarPlay - long $AAPL with covered call against my shares.
    Jul 30 12:46 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Still A Buy [View article]
    Anubis,

Are you expecting them to show up in Excavator?

AFAIA, Skybridge will consist of a Puma core for x86, and power optimized A57 cores for ARM - so I was thinking it would be the K12 ARM core + sister x86 core in 2016 that would be J. Keller's first cores for AMD - putting the timeframe in 2016ish (barring any delays), not 2015.
    Jul 29 01:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Was Surrounded By Market Timers [View article]
    Thanks for writing Brad - any links to some material that would help me get my head around the relationship of the advantages/disadvantages of various types of REITs?

Also, I have no intention of selling any of my stocks that yield dividends anytime soon, so wondering if you have any good links so I can get up to speed as to why interest rates rising could cause these investments to tank, and more importantly, what the long term impilcation of this would be?

IE - if I am not planning on selling these within the next 15-30 years (barring any sort of bad news for a single and specific holding), what would be the long term impact of simply holding and collecting dividends? Is it that rising interest rates would kill the dividends? Is there a risk of these companies defaulting when interest rates rise, causing a complete loss of principal? etc etc. - any help or links provided would be greatly appreciated.
    Jul 29 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Is Still A Buy [View article]
    Steven - off topic of AMD (but Chris is getting the pennies from this conversation and I don't mind helping out his PVs) - any idea why ARR was missing earnings for so many quarters in a row, and why the earnings have been diving lately?

14% yield does look temping