KarinCA

View KarinCA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • An Early Valuation Of Neuralstem's NSI566 [View article]
    Neurology...next catalyst was this mornings news. ;)

Neuralstem Spinal Cord Injury Stem Cell Trial Approved To Commence At University Of California, San Diego

Apr 16 01:21 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Upcoming Data For Athersys Crucial, But Not In Terms Of Immediate Share Price [View article]
    11137741... Safety is always a HUGE issue with stem cells since there are so many unknowns. A friend of mine passed away from a stem cell rejection issue from a procedure done at the University Hospital of Zurich last year. It had been considered relatively safe. Don't kid yourself into thinking there are no risks to these patients.

I hold some stock here. I hold stock in a number of stem cell companies. But, I know the odds are high that one of them will go under due to massive problems that are currently unforeseen. The ones that make it will do well enough that I can afford to lose a bet on one that doesn't. Hopefully, all I'm holding make it since society needs these treatments.

I'm not saying there are any issues with any of the Athersys stem cell products. I'm simply saying you are wrong to think safety isn't an issue here.

Even the FDA website addresses concern with the safety of stem cells. http://1.usa.gov/Qho0Or

Quote:
    "What are some of the safety concerns with stem cell treatments?

While stem cell therapies theoretically have potential promise, their use also raises a number of safety concerns including: the ability of the cells to migrate from the site of administration and differentiate (or change) into inappropriate cell types; excessive cell growth; and the development of tumors. These safety concerns must be addressed as part of the risk/benefit evaluation of these products."

Again, I hold stock here along with several other stem cell companies. I believe there will be many wonderful therapies to help mankind coming forward. But, safety is a huge issue that can't be ignored in these trials.

On another note, the stock is down due to the biotech sector being down. You are correct that it has nothing to do with the stock itself.
    Apr 12 03:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    11137741....People dump shares for a lot of reasons. It could be as simple as wanting to take profit for a gift. It could be needing to close a position due to a margin call since so many biotechs are down. It could be simple fear since so many biotechs are down. People dump shares regularly for all sorts of reasons.

Btw, a product can work, but, have all sorts of side effects show up down the road. There are no guarantees in this sector. Safety at this point is huge in itself.

Disclosure: I hold a small position as an investment here.
    Apr 11 10:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Early Valuation Of Neuralstem's NSI566 [View article]
    Odds are high everything will get going quickly. Especially, since they have already done a phase IIa in Israel.

My point was simply that BCLI isn't very far behind CUR.

FYI...I hold very little BCLI due to the impending r/s and hold a high percentage of my account in CUR. But, ALS sufferers and their family's will be wise to keep a close eye on both of these companies.

As a patient, I'd be hoping BCLI does well since the method of treatment is less invasive. As an investor, it is fascinating to watch the two.
    Apr 11 04:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Early Valuation Of Neuralstem's NSI566 [View article]
    jkenser... Look at this link. It is a BCLI phase II for ALS scheduled to start this month:

Here's the link for all of their ALS trials:
    Apr 11 03:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • An Early Valuation Of Neuralstem's NSI566 [View article]
    petethepanzer... I hold both CUR and the competitor BCLI. I hold much more of CUR because I like their management better and BCLI has an r/s approved that may yet occur. But, BCLI isn't "light years behind" CUR in ALS. Following are links to clinical trials for both. If I were an ALS patient or family of one I'd be watching results of trials from both companies.

Brainstorm Cell:

Neuralstem:
    Apr 11 02:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • $CUR - Neuralstem Phase I Confirmed Safety And Phase II Update [View instapost]
    Typical sell on the news is my guess. Couple that with general biotech sentiment.

April's ALS blog is very interesting to me since ALS patients never show improvement.

Apr 11 05:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Early Valuation Of Neuralstem's NSI566 [View article]
    Presentation by Eva Feldman, PhD, MD, NSI-566/ALS Principal Investigator, Keystone Symposia, 4/9/14

Slide #26 states:

• Final cohort receives bilateral cervical (8 million) followed by
    bilateral lumbar (8 million) injections for 16 million cells

• No safety concerns; subjects doing well
    Apr 10 01:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Clinical Trials website showing ATHX:

Apr 10 01:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    MedGuy103... When I play options I always go further out for safety reasons. Biotech and stem cell sector are notorious for missing deadlines. Earlier expiring options will have a dramatic drop in value if anticipated deadlines are missed. Plus, as the author stated, a second set of data will be coming out later. It's not a negative or positive statement about the company. It's simply a safer way to play options.
    Apr 9 10:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Neuralstem: Sizing Up Potential Key Events Of 2014 [View article]
    April is a participant in the CUR ALS trial. ALS patients NEVER show improvement and this makes her tweets very interesting. Here's link to April's twitter account along with a few interesting tweets:

April Moundzouris ?@aprilals Mar 27
    I'm beating ALS in ways that matter most. Better breathing helps live longer.I have better mobility. If I'm living, I'm fighting to #CureALS

April Moundzouris ?@aprilals Mar 29
    The life I was living ended 3/28/12. Didn't make 40. How many years I stay 39? I know stem cell surgery improved and prolonged my time! #ALS

April Moundzouris ?@aprilals Mar 30
    I can snap w/ my right side again! Not as loud or many times as left. Just with thumb & pinky. So simple, so amazing!
    Mar 30 07:05 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pluristem's Plant Approval From The FDA Could Provide Pathway To New Drug Partners [View article]
    Good article. I'm amazed more aren't following PSTI.
    Mar 12 08:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pluristem's Preeclampsia Effort Pushes PLX Platform [View article]
    sharon... nice article. I think the following is my favourite sentence:

"Its third FDA Orphan Drug application has been submitted, on the tails of approval of two others, one for aplastic anemia implicated in blood disorders and the other for Buerger's disease that affects circulation in the hands and feet."

Many seem to be unaware of the company.
    Feb 27 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • StemCells, Inc., And Neuralstem, Inc.: A Side-By-Side Analysis [View article]
    BCLI has already voted and approved a reverse split. They just haven't announced when it is going to be implemented. Not wanting to buy in until after the split is why I missed this run.

Btw, one of my brokers allows me to trade the day of a split. It's one of only a few that do. Fidelity.
    Feb 27 07:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment