Ken Solonika

View Ken Solonika's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Most Heavily Shorted Stocks in the U.S. [View article]
    Short research has to be better, as with a long one can lose investment capital but the downside is capped, whereas with a short the downside is unlimited.

That said, nearly every short seller has had his Waterloo.
    Apr 2 11:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • More Americans now work for the government than in construction, farming, fishing, forestry, manufacturing, mining and utilities - combined. Stephen Moore: "We have moved decisively from a nation of makers to a nation of takers."  [View news story]
    No facts please.

The Stinking Alf ideologues prefer a pure echo chamber.
    Apr 1 09:32 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sino Clean's 131% Revenue Growth Viewed Skeptically by Some [View article]
    The CC was bad, and when coupled with the delay, explains the drop below $4 in early morning trading.

She (the CFO) is either:

1. A useful idiot, and by "useful" I mean put into a position of power because she can be controlled and manipulated;

2. Incompetent, unable to answer basic corporate accounting and business questions; or

3. Unable to understand/speak English to a degree that should precludes her from being a CFO for a US listed firm.
    Apr 1 02:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why the Government Should Stop the AT&T / T-Mobile Deal [View article]
    Why do hate the US military so much?
    Apr 1 12:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why the Government Should Stop the AT&T / T-Mobile Deal [View article]
    Somalia is a true Libertarian paradise. No government regulation of anything! Watch out for the cholera though. And I hear voice service is quite poor too.
    Apr 1 12:14 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Earnings Reports Worth Watching After Thursday's Close [View article]
    If you are talking about SCEI, they released unaudited numbers and stated that they are filing an extension for the 10K. No explanation was given. I would assume that the selling pressure is coming from fear that the auditor will resign and the books are cooked.
    Apr 1 09:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sino Clean Energy: A 'Cheap' China Coal Play Poised for Massive Growth [View article]
    It's 22%. Probably more now. And more now.

When the facts change, so should one's opinion. A lack of timely reporting, with no real explanation = not even of speculative grade.

To quote from an earlier reply to you:

"I was forced to sell half at 7.40 (+26%) and the other half at 6.40 (+8%) when my wife announced that we were expecting, as we wanted the cash for a 529 and having a baby immediately altered my risk tolerance. At that time I sold all of my individual stocks except for the mega cap dividend players that will likely survive everything except for the collapse of the US itself (and maybe even survive that). I continue to follow SCEI. Obviously since I wrote this article CCME and the rest have imploded, further beating down multiples. It may well be the case that all of these firms are sells given fraud and other issues. Time will tell, and if in a year SCEI has yet to reach $9.50 then my analysis will have been proven wrong."
    Apr 1 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Earnings Reports Worth Watching After Thursday's Close [View article]
    I am not sure I follow the comments on SCEI.

SCEI gets nothing if shares are sold, and receives the exercise price only if warrants are indeed exercised, which they may or may not be, a result that is, regardless, completely outside the control of SCEI management.

I am not sure why you call this a secondary offering of $7 million and then question why they are raising capital.

The late December 2010 secondary raised +30 million, including the greenshoe, and the firm is now well capitalized, with little need for any additional secondary raises for the foreseeable future, and management was and has been quite clear what they intend to do with the capital that was raised, namely increasing CWSF production fivefold through new construction and leveraging their ownership interests in CWSF boilers.

I suspect that recent selling pressure was related to the expiration of 90 day lock up periods associated with the December 2010 secondary, as the PPS was well above $5.25 until day 90, at which point there was enormous sell pressure + higher volume, with a quick retreat to the high $4s and then a snap back return to a PPS above the offering price.

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding your commentary.

Regards and best of luck in the markets,

Ken
    Mar 31 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Power One: A Very Crowded Short [View article]
    Silver Lake has board seats, and I don't think they can dynamic delta hedge their long position. Logical Thought corrected me on this, as I too thought some of the shorting might be Silver Lake protecting its enormous gains.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

No position here after buying in the high 8s and selling for a small gain in the low 9s right before it fell off the cliff to 7. Then Japan happened and it is now near 8.80 (as I write).
    Mar 30 02:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Battery Technologies: An Egregious Chinese RTO [View article]
    Looks like the LOD may be in, as some covering appears to have started: -44%.
    Mar 30 11:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advanced Battery Technologies: An Egregious Chinese RTO [View article]
    Down 17% as I type.

This is too easy for the short sellers!

No position in ABAT.
    Mar 30 09:55 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It helps when you write clearly.

I suspect that the recent run down was more related to the expiration of lock ups from the December capital raise than CBEH. It took place right at 90 days from the secondary. Ultimately the question cannot be answered though.

Mar 30 09:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In a letter leaked to newspapers, Caterpillar (CAT) CEO Doug Oberhelman presses Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn to roll back recent corporate tax hikes. "I want to stay here," writes Oberhelman of the company's home state, but "I have to do what's right for Caterpillar," implying the company may shift jobs or its HQ elsewhere.
     [View news story]
    Now do the same comparison with "socialist" Europe.

Or Canada.
    Mar 26 10:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
     [View news story]
    Texas is a Red Welfare State, just like the rest of the South.

Please secede.
    Mar 26 10:36 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bonuses to senior executives are shooting up, Roger Lowenstein writes, offering a reminder of what Congress forgot when it was reforming the financial system: "Excessive pay isn’t just a problem at banks, it’s endemic to the culture of corporate America." It encourages CEOs to overreach and misallocate resources, and inequality is a major threat to U.S. democracy.  [View news story]
    BS.

CEOs make 500 times the average worker, whereas 30 years ago it was 50 times.

That's class war. And the average American ain't winning.
    Mar 25 11:08 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment