Ketan Desai

View Ketan Desai's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Human Genome Sciences: Tests Raise Questions About New Lupus Drug [View article]
    That happens to pretty much all drugs - for example, some diabetics even become resistant to insulin. But in long term clinical trials, Enbrel demonstrates continued efficacy. See this link:

www.drugs.com/clinical...
    Apr 27, 2010. 06:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You are missing the point. There is a problem with some anti-TNFs such as Remicade that elicit an antibody response, which is why it HAS to be given with methotrexate. And which is why in the statement you quoted I did not cite Remicade. In contrast, Enbrel and Humira don't HAVE to be given with methotrexate. But, studies have shown that the efficacy of Enbrel + MTX is better than Enbrel alone, which is why it would be preferable to give them in combination. But it has nothing to do with antibodies to Enbrel or Humira.
    Apr 26, 2010. 06:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Couple of other points:
    1. My original title was "Clinical implications of HGSI Benlysta studies". Seekingalpha changed that - I guess they wanted it more controversial.
    2. I don't doubt that Belimumab will get approved, but the FDA may ask for post-approval studies looking at longer term safety and efficacy data.
    Apr 25, 2010. 08:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    And you would be wrong. I urged Aventis to partner with HGSI for Belimumab when I was the GCD (global clinical director) there. They didn't, but that is/was their misfortune.
    Apr 23, 2010. 06:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Eli Lilly and GlaxoSmithKline: A Tale of Two Different Pharmas [View article]
    More information in my blog:

doctorinpharma.blogspo.../
    Feb 3, 2010. 02:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time to Hop Back Onboard the Asia Express? [View article]
    “In addition, stronger currencies (particularly the Chinese Yuan and the Indian Rupee) are indicative of strength.”

Not true – while the Chinese Yuan/Renminbi has shown strength against the dollar (finance.yahoo.com/curr...), the Indian Rupee has not (finance.yahoo.com/curr...)

Jul 7, 2008. 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • India: The Bear Case [View article]
    The Indian stockmarket should be looked at differently from the economy. As the US and (sooner or later) European economies cool, the quest for cheap but competent services will increase. For example, in my radiology business, I am seeing a rather dramatic increase. Regarding politics, I should think that Investor Sajal, being of Indian origin, should know that India grows despite the government, not because of it.
    Jul 6, 2008. 06:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Myriad Genetics: I Told You So [View article]
    Here is a comparison between RS Investments Emerging Growth Fund and Nasdaq:

finance.yahoo.com/q/bc...
    Jul 4, 2008. 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Myriad Genetics: I Told You So [View article]
    In investing, you have to go where the data leads you. The stock did not do as poorly as I thought when the results came out - so my target for going long went up from the twenties to the upper forties. Regarding my call - I don't recall saying I was brave. But at least braver than anonymous posters who hide behind pseudonyms.
    Jul 2, 2008. 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Myriad Genetics: I Told You So [View article]
    Send me an email - I'll let you know if I can verify your identity. But, I agree that this is the time to go long on MYGN.
    Jul 1, 2008. 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Limited Investment Opportunities in Indian Pharmaceutical Services [View article]
    PPD Pharmaco is now PPDI - Pharmaceutical Product Devevelopment, Incorporated.
    Jun 25, 2008. 04:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bioterrorism: Smallpox and Biotech Companies [View article]
    Sorry for the typo - it should have said DynPort and not BioPort.
    Jun 5, 2008. 10:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amgen Prevents Biotechs from Reaching Profitability [View article]
    "E&Y acknowledges it thought 2007 was gonna be the year biotech crossed that all-important threshold".

Gonna be? Time for a remedial course in English writing.
    May 21, 2008. 08:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Three Game-Changers For Big Pharma [View article]
    The author is incorrect in stating that Amgen will have to conduct a fracture study (instead of simply relying on BMD) for Denosumab due to the Vytorin. Fracture studies are the standard in phase III osteoporosis studies. Look at the FDA guidance document:

www.fda.gov/CDER/GUIDA...

Also, look at Novartis' Reclast that also had fracture in its studies:

www.bio-medicine.org/m.../

Finally, Denosumab is not a me-too drug. It is an antibody - not a bisphosphonate.
    May 15, 2008. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Myriad Options on Alzheimers Disease [View article]
    You make good points User19367. I note that you are not too optimistic on Flurizan, but are on the company, sentiments I share. Where we differ if whether the street is pricing in failure or success for Flurizan. If the trial is positive, and the stock pops up $10, I will still be able to cover my shorts and come out ahead. If they break the company up, I will certainly buy the diagnostic business.
    May 14, 2008. 04:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment