Kevin Arledge

View Kevin Arledge's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Juice Up Your Annual Retirement Income With Municipal Bonds [View article]
    Thanks for reading and sharing. I will look into both.
    Dec 11, 2014. 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Juice Up Your Annual Retirement Income With Municipal Bonds [View article]
    Thanks for reading and for sharing.
    Dec 11, 2014. 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Juice Up Your Annual Retirement Income With Municipal Bonds [View article]
    I would evaluate each sale or purchase on its own merits and not look at them as trade-offs.
    Dec 10, 2014. 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Juice Up Your Annual Retirement Income With Municipal Bonds [View article]
    Thanks for making these points. I tried to pick funds with relatively stable history. I am also keeping my total percentage in bonds relatively low.
    Dec 10, 2014. 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Juice Up Your Annual Retirement Income With Municipal Bonds [View article]
    Everything is a risk. Decide how much risk is worth the payoff for you. As I said in the article, I have only committed about 4% of my overall portfolio to these bond funds. The durations are generally long. You can find those numbers at the funds own web sites. The ones I looked up all supplied an informational pdf with that kind of info.
    Dec 10, 2014. 08:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Juice Up Your Annual Retirement Income With Municipal Bonds [View article]
    Thanks for the explanation and discussion.
    Dec 10, 2014. 08:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Juice Up Your Annual Retirement Income With Municipal Bonds [View article]
    $fin, please elaborate. Why do you like NUV and NUW?
    Dec 9, 2014. 10:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Juice Up Your Annual Retirement Income With Municipal Bonds [View article]
    You could be right, unfortunately. But with the government things usually do not happen quickly, so maybe we can adjust.
    Dec 9, 2014. 09:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Juice Up Your Annual Retirement Income With Municipal Bonds [View article]
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Dec 9, 2014. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Juice Up Your Annual Retirement Income With Municipal Bonds [View article]
    Kay, thanks for reading and commenting. Look for price points you are comfortable with. I judged the price points for myself based on quality and yield.
    Dec 8, 2014. 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Omega Healthcare Investors Continues To Impress - I Am Adding To My Pile [View article]
    Mike, I agree with you. I generally like to let winners run as long as I can. To me 8% is a lot, but on second thought I probably would not sell either. I really like OHI.
    Dec 6, 2014. 09:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Surviving A Worst-Case Scenario To Become A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    "To me, a decision not to sell a fallen angel is the same as a decision to buy after reanalysis (up to a predetermined percent of a portfolio for that holding)."

Good point.
    Sep 19, 2014. 09:00 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good story. I invested in GE in 2007, but I bought only about 100 shares. Even with DRIP, by the end of 2010 it was worth slightly less than half my original investment after coming through a very dark time. In December 2010, I bought another 200 shares, tripling my number of shares. I did not catch the bottom, but I did okay. My position today is worth 35% more than my invested capital even though my original position is still under water. DGI is powerful, but believing in a company's prospects after due diligence, and carefully investing on pullbacks, is even more powerful. Having a strategy and studying your investments, as you point out, is the smart way to do it, even for buy and hold DGI investors. Putting a little more cash into your good ideas on big pullbacks is also a great idea.
    Sep 19, 2014. 08:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    That is a BIG MISTAKE that was easy to make. That article was about HCN, not OHI. OHI only comes in at the end as being a better alternative to HCN. Since this article was the only news article tagged with OHI today on Yahoo, and widely distributed, I wonder if mistaken identity added to some panic.

OHI did issue some new debt yesterday, but that looked fairly routine.

Unless the dividend is in trouble, I am not worried. Volatility is my friend as long as I am still dollar cost averaging for long term income.

As some others have said, the whole market took a hit today. If you can control your panic, and have good ideas in place, red ink on the ticker tape should make you reach for your checkbook.

Maybe my next article will be something about volatility and growth.
    Sep 12, 2014. 04:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Chuckleh,
    Exactly correct. I lost faith in NLY management and took a loss as a result. Knowing now that I personally do not trust NLY, I actually should have gotten out sooner. If I had gotten out sooner I would have had a small capital gain after collecting a few dividends. In reality, I tend to stick to my guns too stubbornly at times such as when I rode Washington Mutual most of the way down. Just another example of why diversification can be important even when you think you have a good DG stock. Live and learn. Good luck and thanks for commenting.
    Sep 11, 2014. 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment