Kevin Chapman

View Kevin Chapman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Texas Jury's Anti-Fracking Verdict Could Create Problems For Oil And Gas Producers [View article]
    Nice over-the-top article title (reads like a news story for the ill-informed)...

That being said, I think this goes beyond fracking (as Halliburton won a summary judgment prior to the Aruba verdict) and addresses how urban drilling is affecting (creating a nuisance) to adjacent land-owners. You wont see a suit like this in North Dakota.

I think the interesting part of this verdict is that it includes $250,000 for loss of property value (even though market/appraised value of their land has stayed relatively constant over the last 5 years).
    Another case in Tarrant Co may have more of an impact than the Parr case: http://bit.ly/1iWnmgR

That being said, litigation is nothing new in the oil patch. The sky is not falling.
    Jun 4 12:13 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Buffett Gone Mad? Berkshire Hathaway Founder Steps Up A $1B For College Basketball [View article]
    So your sayin theres a chance....
    Jan 24 03:36 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The AmTrust Controversy In A Nutshell [View article]
    So regardless of who is "right" or "wrong"... why not use a straddle to take advantage of the volatility? I don't want to go long the underlying but I also don't want to miss a move to the upside... thoughts? Ideas?

DISCLAIMER: I am a novice at options strategy.
    Dec 18 09:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eagle Ford Shale: New Record Set For Price Per Acre [View article]
    While it seems shady I don't think it will have a material impact on the stock. The same thing happens more than you would expect (see SD and CHK). However SN is overweight the best play in the country with none of the issues the two I mentioned have.
    Nov 20 10:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eagle Ford Shale: New Record Set For Price Per Acre [View article]
    Color me VERY underwhelmed if I am a Devon shareholder. I just shake my head at the premium paid for non-operated assets knowing, like you said, that organic value creation may exist elsewhere. PS back up the truck to PVA...

Hell of a presentation by PVA as well: http://bit.ly/1fWmjhc
    Nov 20 05:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In The Words Of Joseph Granville, 'Sell All Stocks.' Well, Almost All [View article]
    I understand the argument but have trouble with the conclusion. My biggest issue with these ideas is timing... You could very well be right on the outcome, like buyandhold2012 18 months ago, and still lose out on rising stock prices of profitable and growing companies because you didn't buy at sound valuations.

Thanks for the article and the reminder of the end game.
    Nov 16 06:27 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A $55 Million Company Worth $0: Bison Petroleum [View article]
    haha thats hilarious
    Nov 12 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    I looked at MIG too as well as EZCH, REGI and MYGN. All seemed to be up in the pre market and having no experience trading in the pre I decided not to play.

That EPR seems to have worked to perfection so far...
    Nov 6 12:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    out of FOR at $22.19.
    Nov 6 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Halcón Resources: Why Is The Stock Down Again? [View article]
    Just another reason investing is about fundamentals first, management second (as far as I am concerned).
    Nov 6 10:58 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    FOR had a fairly wide bid/ask (the ask in the pre was $24.11). It seems like there might have been some fills around the $24/sh mark to start the day.

I also looked at a few biopharms but based on your prior reply and my lack of knowledge about the space decided against it.
    Nov 6 10:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Like To Play Earnings [View instapost]
    I dipped my toe in this morning on 2 based on your strategy... they also happened to be 2 I have been looking at from a longer term perspective:

FOR: Limit order before the open at $22.55 (originally at $22.15 then revised up), filled at $22.31

EPR- Limit order at before the open at $51.80, filled at $51
    Nov 6 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Forest Oil: Disappointing Asset Sale Raises Valuation Concerns [View article]
    I am of the opinion that the cupboard is a lot more bare than it looks for this name as the company continues to divest assets which they see as non-core. They have to execute flawlessly going forward (they have not up to this point) or the market is going to continue to punish them. I think your 30-50% move is a good start, worse if they have crappy results from the EF acreage or no takers in the Permian.

I know quite a few of the LeNorman folks who will be operating and they are very excited about the deal.
    Oct 8 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Linn Energy: How Come No One Has Picked Up On This? [View article]
    Im with some of the others in not understanding what the overall thrust is from your article. I am of the opinion that the market is aware that (a) Linn will be acquiring Berry assets, (b) some of those assets are in the permian, (c) Linn also recently purchased permian assets separate from the Berry deal, (d) Berry uses EOR methods on the majority of their acreage, (e) Linn uses the same methods on a majority of their acreage, and (f) these methods can be used in the future. My english teacher from grade school always asked us if our paper answered the question "so what?". It seems like your article never answers that.

Now you could have made the case that Linn is acquiring assets with "X" amount of PDPs/PUDs, and that the use of EOR techniques will unlock additional shareholder, or maybe look at the recent Permian acquisition in detail and tell us what un-booked PUDs we are/might be getting "for free" as Linn delineates the acreage?

Basically, you took the most recent IP from Linn's website, saw they addressed the issue of EOR use on acquired Permian acreage, then told us "hey is nobody noticing this!?!" I don't know... are they?

Also, if your argument is that Linn is acquiring technological expertise from the Berry merger via Berry personnel additions, then can you tell us what Linn was lacking before the merger (talent? basin experience?) and how adding Berry personnel is unlocking shareholder value? You do know that Linn already has experience in EOR and had a ~100k acre position in the Permian prior to the 2 most recent acquisitions, right? You do realize that in M&A within the industry that it is never a given that talent stays (I could argue that talent is more apt to leave than stay, especially the ones who really know what they are doing)...
    Oct 4 04:47 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Huge Savings On Cooper Tire Going On Now! [View article]
    Thoughts on the news this am?
    Sep 16 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment