Kevin Cooper

View Kevin Cooper's Comments BY TICKER:

• Philip Morris: A 5% Dividend Nugget With An Intrinsic Value Of $100+ [View article]
    So you feel good about growing debt needed for share repurchases and growing negative shareholder equity?
    Feb 18, 2015. 03:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Philip Morris: Big Warning Signs [View article]
    I own PM for the income. Here's my concern: What's it going to take to turn around these troubling trends? Certainly strong dollar is a current issue, but what about increasing debt levels, negative and increasingly negative shareholder equity, coming interest rate increases which will make that debt load more expensive? These trends were in place before the currency issues took center stage.
    Feb 7, 2015. 02:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Altria Save Your Retirement Portfolio? [View article]
    Perhaps sometime you would share your "basket" of stocks earning an average of 4.8% with a long term dividend growth rate of 7% (without overloading the basket with MLPs or mortgage REITS.)
    May 15, 2014. 11:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet [View article]
    First, regarding one of your positives: •AT&T could divert video traffic from U-Verse to DirecTV's satellite network, freeing up network capacity.

How does that work? Either you are on AT&T's network or you have a DTV satellite receiver.

Also, I see a lot of talk about cross marketing, etc. The $50B DTV purchase would be at about $2,500 per subscriber. I think AT&T could persuade lots of DTV subscribers to jump ship if they had $2,500 to spend in order to entice them.
    May 15, 2014. 10:06 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Be Prepared, But Don't Be Crazy [View article]
    I too am sitting on what was supposed to be a short term position in CLF. Oh sure, I could have gotten out at close to break even in early Feb prior to the dividend cut disaster. Now it's so far underwater that writing calls is not a very attractive option. It seems to me that this situation is where the covered call strategy breaks down, one in which you experience a dramatic drop in price, even LEAPS offer little hope. I suppose I should be willing to add another position to help nurse it back to life but just can't bring myself to do it.
    Apr 1, 2013. 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Energy Company Could End The Massive U.S. Trade Deficit [View article]
    Good article. You used to hear politicians of all stripes say, "we much reduce our reliance on imported oil, especially from the Middle East." Now we have the opportunity to do just that and we have an administration that is averse to fossil fuels and has a ill conceived approach to "all the above" alternatives. Fortunately we have companies such as LNG that are willing to take the risks to exploit our opportunity. And it's a very important point that there is no global market for natural gas, a little understand differentiation from oil.
    Feb 7, 2013. 04:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pay No Tax On Qualified Dividends And LT Capital Gains [View article]
    Snideybowl: There is no ceiling on qualified dividend income, however, the portion of your income subject to ordinary rates must not exceed $36,250 in order for any portion of your qualified dividend income to meet the test for a 0% tax rate. Hope that helps.
    Jan 20, 2013. 02:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • We Have Met The Enemy [View article]
    For some reason when I try to download your spreadsheet I'm getting a page with Jane Well's Ugly Sweater. Interesting transition.
    Dec 17, 2012. 08:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SandRidge Mississippian Trust I Paying Above Targets [View article]
    As a group the oil royalty trusts have fallen out of favor recently. Concerns about falling oil prices, global recession, fiscal cliff and US taxation of trusts have all conspired to drive down asset prices.
    Nov 11, 2012. 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What A Difference A Day Makes [View article]
    Thank you for your articles. I wanted to close the loop on one of your ideas for this week: APKT. I wouldn't have come up with this one on my own, imagine planning to lose 7.4% on the sale of the shares? I purchased shares at $16.20 and sold the weekly $15 calls for $1.54 each. With earnings to be announced on 10/25/12 who knew which way things would go. Earnings were positively received and today the stock is trading above $17. So after the close my shares will be assigned for $15 and I will happily bank a 2.1% gain for the use of my capital this week. Sure, it could have gone differently but, well, it didn't. Thanks again.
    Oct 26, 2012. 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Retirement Investing 'Mistake' [View article]
    Mr. Inkrot: Thank you for the article. I agree that there is too much mindless "advice" being repeated throughout the financial press. With respect to your "0% rule", I provided a similar perspective in an SA article:
    Having said that, William Bernstein is something of a pioneer and did groundbreaking research on asset allocation and the "efficient frontier". It's worthwhile reading for any investor, no matter what your stripes. It would be a shame to dismiss him based upon this article.
    Sep 7, 2012. 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When Predicting Isn't An Option [View article]
    Thank you for the detailed and comprehensive response. Good lessons.
    Aug 29, 2012. 01:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When Predicting Isn't An Option [View article]
    I appreciate your articles and your weekly suggestions for buy/write opportunities. On 8/9/2012, I purchased CLF at $44.56 and sold $44 Calls for 8/18/2012 at $1.03. Prior to expiration I captured the $0.625 dividend. Since then CLF has moved steadily downward and all miners are being hit today. At this point selling puts feels like trying to catch the falling knife. I'd appreciate any ideas on how to rehabilitate this losing position. Thank you.
    Aug 29, 2012. 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends? Forget DRIP And Go PRIP [View article]
    George, Is there a particular "screen" that you use to find attractive opportunities to capture weekly or monthly call premiums? Thanks for your articles.
    Jul 27, 2012. 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IPO Preview: SandRidge Mississippian Trust II [View article]
    There's something wrong with your table of targeted distributions. According to the prospectus, distributions for 2012 targeted at $1.88, 2013 targeted at $2.72, etc.
    Apr 19, 2012. 02:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment