Kevin Cooper

View Kevin Cooper's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Be Prepared, But Don't Be Crazy [View article]
    I too am sitting on what was supposed to be a short term position in CLF. Oh sure, I could have gotten out at close to break even in early Feb prior to the dividend cut disaster. Now it's so far underwater that writing calls is not a very attractive option. It seems to me that this situation is where the covered call strategy breaks down, one in which you experience a dramatic drop in price, even LEAPS offer little hope. I suppose I should be willing to add another position to help nurse it back to life but just can't bring myself to do it.
    Apr 1 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Energy Company Could End The Massive U.S. Trade Deficit [View article]
    Good article. You used to hear politicians of all stripes say, "we much reduce our reliance on imported oil, especially from the Middle East." Now we have the opportunity to do just that and we have an administration that is averse to fossil fuels and has a ill conceived approach to "all the above" alternatives. Fortunately we have companies such as LNG that are willing to take the risks to exploit our opportunity. And it's a very important point that there is no global market for natural gas, a little understand differentiation from oil.
    Feb 7 04:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pay No Tax On Qualified Dividends And LT Capital Gains [View article]
    Snideybowl: There is no ceiling on qualified dividend income, however, the portion of your income subject to ordinary rates must not exceed $36,250 in order for any portion of your qualified dividend income to meet the test for a 0% tax rate. Hope that helps.
    Jan 20 02:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • We Have Met The Enemy [View article]
    For some reason when I try to download your spreadsheet I'm getting a page with Jane Well's Ugly Sweater. Interesting transition.
    Dec 17 08:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SandRidge Mississippian Trust I Paying Above Targets [View article]
    As a group the oil royalty trusts have fallen out of favor recently. Concerns about falling oil prices, global recession, fiscal cliff and US taxation of trusts have all conspired to drive down asset prices.
    Nov 11 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What A Difference A Day Makes [View article]
    Thank you for your articles. I wanted to close the loop on one of your ideas for this week: APKT. I wouldn't have come up with this one on my own, imagine planning to lose 7.4% on the sale of the shares? I purchased shares at $16.20 and sold the weekly $15 calls for $1.54 each. With earnings to be announced on 10/25/12 who knew which way things would go. Earnings were positively received and today the stock is trading above $17. So after the close my shares will be assigned for $15 and I will happily bank a 2.1% gain for the use of my capital this week. Sure, it could have gone differently but, well, it didn't. Thanks again.
    Oct 26 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Retirement Investing 'Mistake' [View article]
    Mr. Inkrot: Thank you for the article. I agree that there is too much mindless "advice" being repeated throughout the financial press. With respect to your "0% rule", I provided a similar perspective in an SA article: http://tiny.cc/rsy9jw
    Having said that, William Bernstein is something of a pioneer and did groundbreaking research on asset allocation and the "efficient frontier". It's worthwhile reading for any investor, no matter what your stripes. It would be a shame to dismiss him based upon this article.
    Sep 7 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When Predicting Isn't An Option [View article]
    Thank you for the detailed and comprehensive response. Good lessons.
    Aug 29 01:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When Predicting Isn't An Option [View article]
    I appreciate your articles and your weekly suggestions for buy/write opportunities. On 8/9/2012, I purchased CLF at $44.56 and sold $44 Calls for 8/18/2012 at $1.03. Prior to expiration I captured the $0.625 dividend. Since then CLF has moved steadily downward and all miners are being hit today. At this point selling puts feels like trying to catch the falling knife. I'd appreciate any ideas on how to rehabilitate this losing position. Thank you.
    Aug 29 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends? Forget DRIP And Go PRIP [View article]
    George, Is there a particular "screen" that you use to find attractive opportunities to capture weekly or monthly call premiums? Thanks for your articles.
    Jul 27 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IPO Preview: SandRidge Mississippian Trust II [View article]
    There's something wrong with your table of targeted distributions. According to the prospectus, distributions for 2012 targeted at $1.88, 2013 targeted at $2.72, etc.
    Apr 19 02:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • $2 Million Needed To Retire? [View article]
    There's too much focus on "reaching your number". Not enough focus on how much do you need? As you show, we need to first look at our expenses. And in that context, what sort of retirement do we expect. It's all about expectations. And once you understand your income needs, where does it come from. My preference is income from my investments not reducing the portfolio by 4% per year. Thanks for the article. Good perspective.
    Mar 26 11:07 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Modern Dividend Theory Explained Part 1 [View article]
    DVK: Thanks for this creative pov helping to organize the precepts of MDT. I'm in the MDT camp but have a comment regarding the line item in your spreadsheet regarding risk/reward tradeoff. In the MPT box you say: "Higher returns can only be achieved by assuming higher risk (i.e., higher volatility)."
    My understanding of MPT is that one of the bedrock principles is that by combining various uncorrelated assets you can increase your expected total returns while lowering overall portfolio volatility.

Again, thanks for the article. I look forward to seeing additional refinement to MDT/MIT.
    Mar 23 09:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cash In Profits From A Dividend Growth Winner To Increase Income [View article]
    trapper132: Thank you. Once you are relying upon the income from your portfolio for your living expenses it requires that you take a different look at your winners.
    Mar 22 09:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Uain53: You have to be ready to take advantage of those dips. There haven't been many so for in 2012. Thanks for the comment.
    Mar 14 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment