Kevin J. Holloway

View Kevin J. Holloway's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Will Fiat's Wacky Commercials Pay Off? [View article]
    I've owned FIATY shares since they were at $5 and I can tell you one thing… Commercials for the FIAT brand did not enter into the equation. And they won't now. In fact the FIAT brand in general had almost no part of the analysis.
    Jul 9 09:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • UCP, LLC's Lot Portfolio Is Worth 84% Of Its Enterprise Value, Giving Shareholders Homebuilding Exposure At A Discount [View article]
    Great piece. Well done… own it and agree with your evaluation.
    Jul 4 01:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fiat Chrysler: Wishful Thinking Or Deep Value? [View article]
    Good article and well balanced. Thanks.
    May 26 09:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PetSmart Due Diligence [View article]
    Some good scuttlebutt right there. Thanks.
    May 24 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Transformation Play; Value Micro Cap Near Its 10 Year Low [View article]
    Have a small position in STLY. All the comments are pretty much right on. Management is definitely not the best. They said in the most recent call that they expect to have margins in line with other case good companies. A caller asked what the margin was for case good co's and they couldn't answer. That did not give me confidence.

But the stock is incredibly cheap and good things happen to cheap stocks. No debt, cash and supposedly a profitable line ex young america.

I'd like to have more conviction as well. These next couple quarters will hopefully answer our questions. Keeping an eye on cash burn.
    May 15 09:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Judge Berkshire Hathaway By Its Book Value Cover [View article]
    There's no way the author was a portfolio manager. No. way.
    Mar 12 08:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Big Return Investing: Excellent Companies With Fixable Problems [View article]
    Couldn't agree more Tim. Many of the companies I own are profitable companies that became out of favor for one reason or another.
    Jun 15 11:11 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway: Determining Intrinsic Value [View article]
    @Harcorevalue... just saw your post. Said the same thing below. No way he'd buy back stock, which he rarely does, at a 10 or 20% discount to IV.
    Mar 2 09:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Berkshire Hathaway: Determining Intrinsic Value [View article]
    I don't think Buffett would be buying back at 1.1 book value if he thought it was only a 10% or 20% discount to intrinsic value. 25% and up sounds like the MOS he would be looking for.

Also, insurance in general has been hurt pretty badly over the last few years. Insurance is cheap, should do better of the next 5 years than the last. I think when the sentiment towards insurance stocks turns positive we'll see a reflection in BRK stock price.
    Mar 2 09:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Innovation Made Possible By 3 New Technologies From Corning [View article]
    Long GLW as well. Watching the Investor Meeting I come away impressed with their level of innovation. Here's the video they showed...

Cool Stuff.

Feb 3 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ignore The P/E: Corning Is Still A Value Trap [View article]
    A very balanced opinion... we probably agree on this more than disagree. I can't say with certainty that everything is baked in.

I still like Corning as a long term holding, but yes there are better value plays than GLW right now. It's probably best to wait and see.
    Feb 1 04:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Case For Corning: Confusion Creates Buying Opportunity For This Unloved Equity [View article]
    13% payout
    Jan 31 12:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ignore The P/E: Corning Is Still A Value Trap [View article]
    I agree that tough times are ahead, but I think value trap is a short sighted description. Many of the issues you discuss are reflected in the current price. As Kevin notes above, you're not accounting for reduction in spending and subsequent increase in FCF.

You're probably right in taking a more wait and see approach, but 3-5 years from now I find it hard to believe Corning won't be growing profitably. 160 years in business.

I guess it all depends on your investment time horizon.
    Jan 31 12:21 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The reason GLW is so cheap is because of the problems Corning addressed and you stated above. Prevailing opinion is negative and the author is simply stating why he believes this is overkill. I wouldn't call it spin, it's contrarian to the current price and outlook.

And yes it maybe "dead money" for some time, which to me is why it's a good opportunity to buy. Best time to buy is when it's cheap, unloved. If you have a 3-5 year horizon you should do well... and collect 2.4% div that will grow.
    Jan 31 09:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Can Leverage Itself Into A Modern Industrial Growth Story [View article]
    There is no doubt this stock will require patience, but I wouldn't call it dead money. If you have a 3-5 year time horizon then you should do well with GLW. If you don't have that kind of patience than I understand your disinterest. A price drop and short term earnings outlook is precisely a reason to BUY a stock, not justify selling. Well at least to a value investor. Corning has been around for over 100 years and has been innovating ever since. Their balance sheet is pristine, they're cheap, pay a dividend, buying back shares, insider buying. Pessimism is at an all time high, which to me is the best time to buy. I'll wait for it to bottom out and purchase more shares.

You can read my outlook here: http://bit.ly/Aeuy6n