View Kevin Quon's Articles BY TICKER:
AAPL, ACCL, ADNC, ADT, AGCO, ALAN, AMRS, ANGI, AT, ATRI, ATVI, AYR, AZO, BBRY, BBY, BCC, BG, BIOA, BNNY, CDXS, CECO, CERE, CLMS, CLW, CRM, CRR, CYCC, CZZ, DFRG, DMND, DRYS, DVA, ENOC, ENTA, EQC, ESI, EVGN, FB, FIVE, FLCM, FLY, FSLR, FSYS, FTK, GEVO, GILD, GLW, GOOG, GWR, HL, HTH, IMI, INSY, INWK, IOSP, IPHS, IRWD, IVAC, KEG, KMI, LC, LO, LPIH, LTS, LYB, MAIN, MANU, MBII, MCP, MDR, MEI, MON, MPO, MT, NATH, NOV, NOW, NTRI, ODP, ONVO, OPK, PACB, PACR, PAY, PBI, PPO, REGI, RPAI, SBUX, SCTY, SFL, SHLD, SLCA, STX, SUNE, SZYM, TINY, TPX, TSLA, UNIS, VALE, VSAR, WFM, WFT, WLT, YELP, ZNGA, ZTS
Solazyme Closes The Year With An Arbitration Win For Its Intellectual Property
- Solazyme received a favorable arbitration outcome when it comes to its whole algal food ingredients.
- The arbitration award details blatant attempts by Roquette to steal Solazyme's intellectual property.
- Moema continues to show progress despite ongoing inconsistency in power and steam delivery.
Solazyme Gains Momentum In Food Ingredients
- Solazyme's path to market whole algal protein has cleared potential domestic regulatory barriers.
- The company now has 2 oil products and 2 flour-like food ingredients, which have already completed their self-affirmed GRAS process.
- Specialty protein remains a trending market for the food industry which has seen limited innovation and increasing demand over the past few years.
Solazyme Becomes More Disciplined In Its Use Of Cash
- Solazyme reduces its cash operating expenses through cost-cutting measures and a workforce reduction.
- The company's management and executive team volunteers to reduce their base salary.
- Efficient use of cash remains the company's priority as its joint venture in Brazil takes center stage.
How Solazyme's Encapso Serves As An Oilfield Enhancer
- Solazyme's temporary delay at Moema places a higher emphasis on Encapso.
- The Encapso drilling lubricant continues to gain momentum as it secures a large partnership with Versalis.
- The deterioration of crude oil prices is likely to spur wider industry adoption of Encapso.
Solazyme Searches For A New Bottom With Wall Street's Pessimism
- Solazyme's strategic shift prioritizes prudent cash management to preserve optimal production capacity.
- The company's financials mask some of the positive trends in cash use going forward.
- In a worst-case scenario, the company has the ability needed to become a profitable business entity.
Solazyme Repositions Up The Value Chain Amidst Moema's Setback
- Solazyme has structured a strategic shift in production and product mix to offset delays and market conditions.
- The company has delayed the consolidation of its joint venture.
- Commercial success will largely be determined by the company's ability to control costs and margins of near-term sales.
Refuting A Short-Selling Solazyme Critic
- Short-selling investment group TheStreetSweeper recently published an article intended to damage Solazyme's reputation.
- Droughts and fires are unlikely to have an impact on Solazyme's feedstock supply.
- Advanced biofuel companies are a new industry group filled with unique technologies and output products.
- Company departures are unlikely symbolic of a lack of confidence and executive compensation appears in-line with peer companies.
- Insider selling has been far from excessive and appears more representative of general diversification by executives.
Opportunistic Trading Pushes Solazyme To New Lows
- Solazyme has seen a rapidly deteriorating stock and accelerating growth in short interest.
- The sharp decline of oil prices have mistakenly had a negative impact on investor sentiment.
- The company has reported that its primary plants continue to consistently run successful fermentations.
- The number of customers buying product and taking shipments has accelerated over the past quarter.
Solazyme: Taking Advantage Of Healthy Food Trends And The Need For Innovation
- Solazyme recently gained its first customer for AlgaVia's Whole Algal Flour product.
- The company offers natural product ingredients and is also able to improve the health profiles of food.
- Solazyme's technology platform could be a disruptive innovation when it comes to oil profile variety.
Solazyme Gains A Partner For Specialty Soap Production
- Solazyme entered into a new supply agreement and development project with Stephenson Personal Care.
- Stephenson Personal Care anticipates utilizing Solazyme's oils in a range of products.
- The relationship further fortifies Solazyme's influence in the soap industry and as a supplier of a palm oil replacement.
Highlights From Solazyme's Q2 2014 Conference Call
- Solazyme reported an in-line production update in relation to prior expectations.
- The company increased customer interest and secured new and key market relationships.
- The company's brands of Algenist, Encapso, and AlgaVia continue to progress.
Solazyme: Why This Green Company Looked To The Oil Fields
- Solazyme has developed a new business segment specializing in oil field services.
- The Encapso biodegradable lubricant can reduce operator time and cost while improving overall drilling efficiency and control.
- Encapso can also reduce the need for fluid disposal thereby addressing logistical and environmental challenges.
- Solazyme may also be able to address the markets for biodegradable solvents used in oil field operations such as those addressed by d-Limonene.
Why Solazyme Expects To Make An Impact In Food Applications
- With newly expanded manufacturing capacity, Solazyme should be expected to make a push towards food applications.
- The company's high-stability, high-oleic oil offers a long-lasting frying oil, which can result in cost savings to restaurant owners.
- The company's brand of whole algal flour stands as a new tool to improve nutrition profiles without compromising taste or texture.
Did Solazyme Just Patent A Treatment For Diabetes?
- US Patent #8,747,834 describes the use of algal biomass as a treatment for impaired glucose metabolism.
- Solazyme's natural strain of algae is referred to in this patent, and is expected to be used for the company's brand of AlgaVia.
- Beyond reducing blood sugar levels and body fat, the algal biomass can be used to increase healthy bacteria in the gut.
- The marketing opportunities could bring the advantages of prebiotics (in contrast to probiotics) to products with longer shelf lives.
What A Successful Moema Launch Means For Solazyme
- Solazyme recently announced initial commercial production at its 100,000 MT facility in Brazil.
- The company has scaled its technology up to the level of 625,000-L fermentation tanks.
- Proving reliability and expanding key relationships stands as the company's next challenge.
- Part of the company's increased short interest was likely due to a delay to the Moema facility.
Why Solazyme's High-Oleic Oils Are Needed Now
- Solazyme is now producing high stability, high-oleic algal oil out of its plant in Iowa.
- High-oleic soybean oils have taken several decades to arrive to market.
- Solazyme's high-oleic oils may offer increased advantages over high oleic soybean oils.
4 Reasons Why Solazyme Is Pursuing AlgaVia & Encapso Now
- Solazyme plans on taking advantage of opportunities in the markets of nutrition and oil field services.
- By using the whole algal cell, Solazyme reduces costs, gains efficiencies, and adds value to the end product.
- The initial production cost range out of Clinton appears promising.
Solazyme: Key Takeaways And Insights From The Q1 2014 Results
- While essentially operational, Solazyme expects initial production from Moema in Q2 2014.
- The company has expanded its product depth with progress in both oil field services and nutritionals.
- Solazyme remains well-funded to partake in opportunistic expansions of both product lines.
Solazyme Advances Its Agenda On Multiple Fronts
- Solazyme has ongoing market development trials with several new partners.
- A large amount of effort is now being put into Solazyme's new oil field services segment.
- The company was recently highlighted on the front page of Goldman Sachs.
- The latest round of financing further de-risks the company's ongoing operations.
Solazyme's Algal Oil Is Sought To Replace Palm Oil
- Tropical oils such as palm oil and palm kernel oil continue to see increasing demand and limited supply.
- Solazyme continues to leverage its expertise to provide a practical alternative to these oils.
- Reputable companies such as Unilever and Ecover have turned to Solazyme for a sustainable solution.
5 Things To Know About Solazyme's Encapso
- Solazyme's new product line addresses the growing drilling fluids market.
- The company's product utilizes the whole microalgae cell in order to provide targeted lubrication.
- The ability to proactively reduce friction allows for increased cost savings for drilling companies.
Solazyme Looks To Strengthen Its Balance Sheet And Finds A Solution For Big Oil And Gas
- Solazyme plans to raise additional capital through a proposed offering of senior notes and common stock.
- The company already has aggressive plans for manufacturing capacity expansions.
- Encapso could serve as a product line that increases existing productivity which ultimately leads to cost savings.
Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing?
- Solazyme appears to have developed a business line called Encapso.
- The company is developing biomass-based oil field chemicals.
- The composition of these chemicals appears to use spent microbial biomass and could serve as a co-product.
Why Solazyme Believes Algae Milk Is The Next Big Thing
- Solazyme recently displayed one use of its algal flours in the form of Algae Milk.
- Algal flour can be used in a wide range of applications.
- Limited innovation when it comes to food ingredients could provide Solazyme with a significant market opportunity.
- Why Solazyme Rose After Its 2013 Year-End Results
- Can Changes To The Beverage Industry Affect Solazyme?
- Why Solazyme's Pathway For Growth Is Beginning To Clear Up
- Why Solazyme Caught Short Sellers By Surprise
- Why Solazyme Jumped On Its Latest Announcement
- Revisiting Solazyme, Part III: Putting The Plan In Motion
- Revisiting Solazyme, Part II: Where The Technology Is Leading
- Revisiting Solazyme: Management's Take On Technology And Outlook