Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Solazyme's AlgaVia Gains Traction As Bird Flu Leads To Possible Egg Shortage [View article]
    V123,

To be honest if I did try those oils, I actually don't remember them. Easier to remember good tasting food.

Yes, oils should support larger sales volume than say food ingredients.

Kevin
    May 26, 2015. 01:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    You sure know how to carry a grudge, David Gair. And you are welcome for providing you with a forum to advertise your home youtube videos. I hope every penny per view you get is one less that you have to borrow.

That said, by far you still remain the most interesting twist in this unfolding saga. It reminds me of how bitter we are all capable of becoming in this world.
    May 24, 2015. 03:22 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Gent12,

An interesting but somewhat hard to answer question.

Hc is dedicated to egg replacements but has no control over the ingredients themselves and isn't introducing a new ingredient as much as it is introducing proprietary branded products - some of which can be used as inputs themselves. Hc sources from five mfg facilities but likely doesn't own them and probably has a better distribution network than szym for this field. The company largely still remains a start up company with significantly less employees (~50). But the media is for this company as are well funded individuals, and no doubt when they ipo it'll be a hot one.

Solazyme is a more well funded company whose interests in this field are not as focused. They're more likely to pursue partnerships with the most heavy weighted clients but are not as likely to pursue their own branded products in this field opting to act more as a commodity supplier. The company likely has deeper relationships in food than pple now realize and it definitely isn't making enemies with food elites (read unilever and it's lawsuit against hc). It remains afflicted with a pirate found in roquette but this has been more of an unwanted distraction that has cost a pretty penny For a company who can't be giving away free change. Solazyme is also only capable of removing most eggs whereas hc is geared to not really using them at all... at least for now. AlgaVia also has a much larger product range that it can find itself in. it also has its own facilities, and likely supports a much larger mfg capacity At its finger tips.

Just some food for thought. I like both and believe they would ultimately work best together and I think they know it too. But solazyme will do nothing to jeopardize unilever and I find any relationship between the two will likely have to address a market where unilever simply isn't in.

Kevin
    May 24, 2015. 04:39 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your thoughts, user435285. It helps add some context on the problematic and unfortunate situation.
    May 23, 2015. 10:13 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree with that statement, and there's a "like" from me.
    May 23, 2015. 10:12 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jusinlook,

I agree that there should not be much short term gain when one considers operational performance alone.

However, I would also add that Solazyme does not trade merely on operational performance right now as much as it is news sensitive. The company has more than a fourth of its share float being shorted right now and the market continues to be slightly forward looking at the same time.

Bird Flu will not be some kind of financial savior for this company (I would also contend that it even needs one), but the point I wanted to make in this article is that it will most definitely serve as a catalyst for the adoption of longer-term interest by some egg-dependent companies.

-Kevin
    May 23, 2015. 10:11 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Dave,

Just in terms of baked goods, I tried several kinds of bread along with cake, crackers, and a protein bar. They let me test all of these alongside a control. They were pretty indistinguishable taste-wise, although you could tell that there was a slightly more yellow color on the WAF recipes.

-Kevin
    May 23, 2015. 10:05 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Thanks for the SLB link, mikestesla. I agree.
    May 23, 2015. 05:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Encapso: An Essential Ingredient In The American Shale Revolution [View article]
    I have to echo JRTI. The difference is in the tailored characteristics of szym's tech. It's a performance level concept, and one that distinguishes a commodity from a value added product in a market of its own (or in the very least, a product line with an attached premium).
    May 14, 2015. 03:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Thanks for the input. Appreciated.
    May 13, 2015. 09:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    mikestesla,

Nice to hear confirmation, but I'm curious how you came across your ASP estimate. Thanks. :)

Off-topic, but I noticed that MicroLUBE on Flotek's site has now been replaced (as it was the intermediary name for Encapso prior to the agreement). Flotek has since updated their site to a new format. It doesn't seem like the marketing plan for encapso/flotek is in place yet.

Kevin
    May 12, 2015. 11:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Maybe you don't see how this works, Maxx. I have no questions for you. Once again, I do not want your email address and I am definitely not giving you mine.

But you continuously present to me loaded inquiries, accusations, and claims in public that often question my integrity on my articles.... and somehow expect me to write to you at your email address? What do I have to gain from reaching out to you when you have nothing of value that I need?

Now I have always offered to answer anything you ask in private and even showed you how to do it here on Seeking alpha. I've even tolerated you in public on many occasions and taken the time to correct you when you supposedly had concerns.

Instead, you continue to ignore those requests to talk to me directly in private and continue to publicly showcase. You continue to advertise your Motley Fool publication and present with some facetious portrayal of professionalism while simultaneously acknowledging your intention to "give me sh*t" (those were your words) on my articles.

Shame on you, Maxx. You don't deserve my time and I will see to it on these public forums that that stays abundantly clear.

Again, I do not welcome you here and your continued commentary on my articles reflect nothing but a lack of courtesy and serves as a confirmation of an ulterior motive.

You may message my inbox in private if you like.
    May 12, 2015. 03:43 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Rephrase. On spec algae creating on spec oil. For example, algae exposed too long to a growth condition might develop a too thin or too thick shell or not grow to the right size necessary for an acceptable rate of oil productivity (ie. due to ouput in mech extraction). Solazymes strength is in the knowledge of how to control the growth and development of algae in the fermentation tanks for a wide range of properties (including shell size). In part it's this general knowldge and associated ip that roquette wanted and essentially stole. Needless to say, with inconsistent utilites (for blackout vs brownout periods) the ability to control the process is severely diminished.
    ------

Stop wasting my time, Maxx. If you need help, talk to me in private like you continue to never do despite your previous public comments that you will. You clearly have your own forum to tend too as well thanks to the Fool, so do me a favor and stop polluting mine with your tilted stabs in the dark for deception and conspiracies.

While I'm honored that you would come on Seeking Alpha acting like a snob only on my articles (based on your comment history), I can't compete with your amount of free time. Forgive me for being less then respectful as talking with you over the past few years has continually left a pretty bitter taste in my mouth.

I wish you the best in your article writing career. I really do as you are very keen when you are motivated, albeit reckless in your presumptions. But if you don't mind me saying it's not the best idea to burn bridges. You won no friends in the industry when you invited the misguided zealot Dana Pearls to your synbiobeta conference and I know the reason you didn't visit this company you write about so much on your last trip isn't only because you didn't have time.

Anyways these comments are just not productive for anyone and just lead to us arguing like always. I don't welcome you here, but I doubt that'll change your presence here regardless. Bye.
    May 12, 2015. 12:13 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Pretending it was an earnest question, however, the result of a six hour pause can be very different from a blackout period lasting six days... who knows.
    May 11, 2015. 11:52 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Book value remains one metric of value, and clearly not always the best for an early stage company that is valued on its growth potential. That said, I can not write everything the way that each person wants to see it. The company is losing book value and will continue to do so.

Yet bear in mind even in profitable, established blue-chip companies the concept doesn't necessarily coincide with market value. Take IBM, for example, which supports a market capitalization of $168 billion with only $12 billion in shareholder equity (and a deficit of $20 billion in net tangible assets) to support it. I'm not comparing the two companies in any way, but I do protest this metric's use in this instance as the fundamental basis for valuation without incorporating the comparative advantages and first-to-market position Solazyme has in this nascent industry space that is well believed to play an important role in the coming future...
    May 11, 2015. 11:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment