Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Organovo: Is Now The Time To Sell This Rising Star? [View article]
    I guess hindsight 20/20 says that answer to the this question was "Yes."
    Apr 15 08:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Algal Oil Is Sought To Replace Palm Oil [View article]
    Thank you for sharing this information, Geosteam.
    Apr 14 10:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Algal Oil Is Sought To Replace Palm Oil [View article]
    Refer to my other comment. It still comes down to productivity & yields. It really doesn't make sense for LS9 to pursue fuels right now, and I'm glad REGI wants them only for chemicals really.
    Apr 12 12:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Algal Oil Is Sought To Replace Palm Oil [View article]
    RWRATTI,

I actually was not aware of the litigation blocking the LS9 acquisition. Do you have more information in regards to this?

As for LS9 itself, I've followed the company for a little over 2 years on & off. I like their technology, but there are some things I'm not keen on. They use e.coli which is already a warning sign on the scaling side. Also while it may seem ideal for the product to be produced via continuous excretion (thereby reducing process costs), I have questions over the level of quality control the company might have from using the same batch of organisms over an extended time period. This also raises questions about yield & productivity rates - how fast can e.coli take a dump & how much can they hold when you introduce such additional complexity into the organism?

I cant' remember where I saw the information some 1-2 years ago, but I remember being sorely disappointed by the amount of product the company had produced at the time. The article had something to do with surfactants. On a comparison level with SZYM, LS9 was very very far away from producing a decent amount of volume. But I recognize it too is still very early for the company. If LS9 can produce in-spec product in higher quantities, I'll be a pretty big fan.

That said, I still believe it'll be a gamechanger for REGI. Even if they produce at low quantities, LS9 will help REGI get out of 1st gen biofuels and into more valuable products. REGI already has the infrastructure and cash flow to make LS9 work out over the long-run. Needless to say, I'm pretty bullish on REGI too (and hold a long position), given its discounted value to book. Renewable diesel isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and even without the government's support, REGI should be able to hold its own for some time.

Does LS9 provide competition for SZYM? I would say it's a pretty moot point to be looking for competition right now - the markets are much too large to be concerned about that. Any additional players in this space are more likely to help push the transition to renewables, which is good for all involved right now. Are their patents to be worried about? I'm not aware of any, although I would be more concerned if SZYM accidentally violated one of their patents (unlikely anyways given the range of flexibility they have to work with).

LS9 was struggling a while back, so REGI got a real deal in the scoop (provided more time & capital can solve their issues). e.coli & yeast, while well understood, make for very susceptible organisms for synthetic biology. This is why companies apart from szym have struggled as much as they have. Can it work out for them? Sure. I expect that REGI made a good move, but it'll take years before their efforts are realized.

Kevin
    Apr 12 12:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Algal Oil Is Sought To Replace Palm Oil [View article]
    Ggjrflavor69,

While I always appreciate good due diligence, you realize the 2nd link was April 3, 2013 and not April 3, 2014 right?

I rather not speculate on the plants opening prior to it being announced. Seems like it would just create presumptous expectations to speculative deadlines. That said, our last guidance from management suggests an April opening. So you're probably not far off regardless.

Best wishes,
    Kevin
    Apr 9 03:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Dividend Champions Yielding More Than 4% [View article]
    Bobco, this was written almost a year ago.
    Apr 7 09:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Algal Oil Is Sought To Replace Palm Oil [View article]
    @Zalach,

Mark Warner brought Imperium's Gray's Harbor facility online on time & under budget. That's a 100 million gallon per year nameplate capacity facility (in contrast to Moema's roughly 30 million gpy facility). He was sniped by Wolfson based on prior experience according to my last visit at the HQ. By the way, I believe that Gray's Harbor is the largest biodiesel production facility in the United States.

As for competition, there should be some brewing at this point, but only the big integrated companies would have the resources and ability to challenge the tech, and they haven't been making any announcements in terms of progress as far as I can tell. For the most part, szym still appears to stand alone on the basis of what it can do. Regardless, the markets are big enough to not be worried.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Navy. SZYM delivered, got blasted by the media, & decided to pursue a higher use for its technology, & then got blasted again by the media that it was now running away from fuels.

As for subsidized farming ending, there are much bigger problems at hand the day a sudden shift in food prices occurs. Either way, SZYM's growing more diversified in geographic regions. Corn's cheap right now as is Brazilian sugarcane. I'm more concerned about weather patterns. But to answer your question, recall that many of the agreements to date include gurantees on feedstock prices or product prices in order to help mitigate this risk.

Kevin
    Apr 7 08:44 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Algal Oil Is Sought To Replace Palm Oil [View article]
    @Zalach,

Might I suggest you start at the following? It really helps.

Kevin
    Apr 6 05:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Algal Oil Is Sought To Replace Palm Oil [View article]
    @Zalach,

As what is stated in my disclosure statement (which is located on the top of every article and needs to have the "more..." link pressed), I have no relationship with Solazyme. I have intensely covered this company simply on the basis that the long-term outlook remains one of the most promising stories now unfolding on the market. There is limited coverage in this space, and those that do report here appear to have a very narrow concept of what this company does.

I believe I remain justified in my support of this particular company when one compares it to the other names most often associated with industrial biotechnology, and in particular advanced biofuels. White biotechnology remains one of the most promising fields of this generation. As a leading public company in this space, I believe Solazyme's potential far justifies additional coverage for an investing audience. This is especially the case for a generation of investors who somehow feel like it is more appropriate to apply ludicrous valuations to unproven internet concepts rather than enduring the foundational periods of a future base technology.

Kevin
    Apr 6 04:01 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Now The Time To Buy Gevo? [View article]
    Doewap,

To be fair, you might not want to expect much coverage on GEVO from me at least. I'm on wait & see mode for them. I just wrote this to give a brief overview and quick status update. Their future is much less certain in my opinion. Until real progress is made, don't expect much.

Kevin
    Apr 6 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Now The Time To Buy Gevo? [View article]
    Big Blue,

Quite honestly, no. There are very few similarities between each in my opinion despite the fact Wall Street wants to clump several of them together. A loose connection in fuels hardly justifies a peer group in my opinion. The closest match in technologies & potential would probably be between GEVO and AMRS - due to their single-molecule replacement yeast fermentation. But since I remain far from intrigued on either, it hardly seems to worth the time to pursue it.

Kevin
    Apr 6 10:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Things To Know About Solazyme's Encapso [View article]
    Never enjoyed sleep much, but I could probably use more.
    Apr 1 03:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Things To Know About Solazyme's Encapso [View article]
    Yes, that is correct. To what degree is anyone's guess though.
    Apr 1 02:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Things To Know About Solazyme's Encapso [View article]
    Rather interesting article. Sounds like a short-term issue that will sort itself out over time though with the natural movement of supply and demand.
    Apr 1 03:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Things To Know About Solazyme's Encapso [View article]
    Simon1960,

I believe my initial speculation on what Encapso was was indeed incorrect. There were multiple products and applications covered under the initial patent application. A fluid loss control agent is definitely still possible (and perhaps even a part of the existing Encapso product given their claim that it doesn't seep into the fractures). Can "redundant biomass" still be used as a fluid loss control agent? I believe so, but Encapso appears to be a standalone product based on the information released by the company thus far.

Kevin