Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Solazyme Closes The Year With An Arbitration Win For Its Intellectual Property [View article]
    Some have critiqued that im blaming investors for Solazymes valuation, but ive only stated a lack of understanding. Per a recent conference with wolfson as a keynote speaker, it seems like he recognizes the same dilemma:

"If you look at the Internet, mobile applications, or even computer hardware, there are investor communities that built up over time in each of these areas, and an investor community that built up around medical biotechnology.

The space that I’m in doesn’t really have that core, investor community yet. It doesn’t have that model of how businesses are valued the same way either. That timeline and scale-up, for us, is different."

-j.wolfson

Mar 9, 2015. 08:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Naa spam, thank you for articulating that in a much more precise and communicable manner than I was able to do.
    Mar 9, 2015. 05:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Only you, all-star bioprocess engineer maxx chatsko of the Motley Fool. Only you would exclude the known mechanical issues from a yield and productivity risk factor blanket statement in order to create a more flavorful assertion about potential bioprocess shortcomings, which you call a "fact". I truly mean only you. I stopped reading your articles a while ago and really have no clue why you consistently argue on mine. Take the soap box again, maxx.
    Mar 9, 2015. 01:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I don't know what to tell you, Maxx. Nowhere does it say "microbial productivity" or "microbial yield"

The risk factor clearly says:

"Two of the significant drivers of our production costs are the level of productivity and conversion yield of our microalgae strains..."

I'm growing tired going back and forth over issues you want to introduce. It's a blanket statement risk factor that includes a multitude of variabilities (including poor performing microbes as you suggested or poorly run operations). But only you, bioprocess engineer Maxx Chatsko of the Motley Fool, are pressing that it has to be one particular factor with one particular solution that summarizes everything to make it all "pretty simple right now".
    Mar 9, 2015. 09:06 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hello Maxx Chatsko of The Motley Fool,

"For example, with respect to oil, productivity is principally a function of the amount of oil that can be obtained from a given volume over a particular time period. Conversion yield refers to the amount of the desired oil that can be produced from a fixed amount of feedstock."

Based on the cited definition & example, both productivity and conversion yields can be affected by inefficient utilities, non-optimized downstream equipment, or a non-fully ramped-up production plant. They can also be affected by other things as well (including failing microbes as you personally believe).

For example, the amount of oil obtained from a given volume over a given amount of time can be dependent upon how well your oil press is working. And in case it wasn't clear, productivity is a contributing factor for conversion yield.
    -----

That said, you might want to be careful about creating new "facts."

Writing your opinions are great, but to state the existence of failing microbes as a "fact" is a presumption based on your own negative bias of what you want to believe rather than what the company is asserting. We're all entitled to our opinions, but I would be careful about calling something like that a "fact."

Kevin
    Mar 9, 2015. 01:39 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well said, Steve. I appreciate your opinions on the matter.
    Mar 4, 2015. 01:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave,

I wouldn't imagine that you'll see branded algal flour on the store shelves anytime soon. I believe the company would rather leverage the distributing networks of partner companies for some time (65 active projects and aggressively growing isn't small potatoes). Why introduce the risk of building your own brand when companies are willing to use your product and take on that risk themselves? At least for now when your capital is tight and workforce already thinned out.

Kevin
    Mar 4, 2015. 01:33 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mykie,
    It is currently only in the creamers which were recently launched. The milks been around for some time now and already had traction.
    -Kevin
    Mar 3, 2015. 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    User13604742,

Appreciate the comment. It is indeed Royce, but I believe it to be more of the hallway than the porch perse. Took the pic some many years ago.

Kevin
    Mar 3, 2015. 12:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'll press that like button.
    Mar 2, 2015. 04:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    hatvani,

I would contest the idea that "they built no value for shareholders". Whereby the cash value of the companies interests is the only metric being compared by trader-oriented investors, it is the intangibles that has actually been steadily increasing since the ipo.

Be it in the form of intellectual property, relationships, production capability, and (ironically) even financial strength, the company has positioned itself into a much better place than where it formerly was. I cant even begin to calculate the invisible barriers of entry into this important industry at this point in time. Imagine trying finance a new idea to surpass this tech at this point. But determining all of this value is very much dependent on the individuals end goal and timeline. And while I too have been hurt financially alongside investors, I find much value for the longer term being accrued on financials that simply will not comply with accounting standads.

Has the company screwed up along the way? Most definitely, and contrary to the less kind here who want to speak on my behalf I fully assign the misplaced timing expectations which did not transpire as intended as a mark on management's record. But over the course that I have been actively monitoring this company, I believe that it has done quite well given the conditions that it has had to face. The only real disappointment (excluding those where I believe fair efforts were made) I have is in how the market has failed to embrace the industrial biotechnology sector on the basis of quickly dashed expectations.

Kevin
    Mar 2, 2015. 03:51 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Last I checked their ability to scale has not been an issue. Their ability to ramp is dependent upon factors being addressed.

Clearly this isn't a company that you support and I have no intention of leading you anywhere beyond where your sound judgement takes you. My opinions are what they are so you may put your faith wherever you wish. From the sound of it, I have no idea why some particular people are still here apart from their ill intentions.
    Mar 2, 2015. 03:33 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I believe it remains disproportionately misplaced considering the short interest found in the supposed public peer companies of GEVO/AMRS/BIOA/etc. Why it exists likely projects the general sentiment of the market's negative (and errant, imo) perception and I can empathize with that.
    Mar 2, 2015. 08:47 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Saul,

I believe you are underestimating their ability to ramp revenue over time over time and their ability to have access to capital, but I'm not going to argue over your belief to the contrary. My interest in this company primarily revolves around their IP portfolio which I find to be very unique and primarily situated. The business model still appears viable looking forward. It's not difficult to be critical now using irrelevant metrics of current production.

Kevin
    Mar 2, 2015. 08:44 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree with your thoughts, but I think it's hard to call the issue jv selection in the case of Roquette. At least on the face they were the right partner to choose all things considered at the time, and it's hard to complain about the deal made too given the lack of financial commitments on szyms part.

But only hindsight 20/20 reveals lying thieves.
    Mar 1, 2015. 11:14 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment