Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 5 Things To Know About Solazyme's Encapso [View article]
    Approximately 1/3 of the day's trading volume was due to short sales the day before pricing. 6 million shares traded and more than 2 million were due to short volume. Botched? yes. Intentionally? yes, imo. Is that the way it works? Sadly so.

But this is what happens in a free market economy where big money can game the system. Until change occurs, got to work within it. Just my two cents.

Either way, SZYM now has some capital to exert.
    Mar 31 09:04 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Looks To Strengthen Its Balance Sheet And Finds A Solution For Big Oil And Gas [View article]
    Thank you for the more technical perspective on Encapso's journey down the borehole. I appreciate the context. Impressive!
    Mar 31 04:07 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Geo,

I don't believe that it is a waste product. My earlier assumption looks to be wrong on this particular product.

Kevin
    Mar 28 03:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Snake,

They're producing it out of clinton per GS roadshow presentation. It's not something to be dismissed.

Kevin
    Mar 28 09:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Mike,

I guess its best to look at their track record to date:

1) Fled from open pond algae to take the path that was commercially viable (see scaling & near-term feasibility problems w/ companies like synthetic genomics & sapphire)

2) Pursued a tailoring platform on relatively unknown organisms by creating their own bio-tool kit. (immense effort & risk involved which could've tanked the co, but came out successful w/ a screened organism that has proven to be very robust & able to be manipulated [ie compared to the difficulties w/ yeast])

3) Pursued higher margin products rather than sticking to the plan of biofuels (refer to public cos like kior, amrs, gevo to see the results of the alternative).

4) Retained Algenist in-house & did all the branding work. Huge success.

5) Sought to go w/ Peoria first rather than jumping straight to Moema. I think most people who've followed for a while will agree this was a very good move.

6) Established redundancy w/ Clinton, rather than only relying on Moema.

7) Broke up with SRN. (not everyone's going to agree with me on this one, but this was a really good move. It was a deal that made sense when it was made, but gave away too much ultimately).

Kevin

additional note:
    I've had the chance to meet several officers, and it remains impressive their experience in terms of their backgrounds. I can tell you my opinion, but it wouldn't matter. The management team has a wealth of experience at their finger tips. For example, just take a look at David Cole & Robert Webber - SZYM just picked up two former CEO's in the last few months. Keep digging to see the experience I'm talking about.
    Mar 26 10:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Onfish,

I'm just quoting the press release. However, I believe it was in reference specifically for the "curve" of the horizontal well where the drilling penetration rate declines.

Kevin
    Mar 26 08:42 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Derek,

I could not agree more. You talk about the very point of an article I wrote a long time ago when I first talked to wolfson (http://seekingalpha.co...).

The way he kept bringing up Monsanto radically changed the way I looked at the company after that first visit.

Kevin
    Mar 26 02:02 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Hidden Value For A World Made Blind By Associations [View article]
    Cabeza,

1) The original 550k MT estimate presumed upon 50k MT coming from SRN via the phase 3 expansion of the 5k MT phase 2 plant. The capacity was lost, although technically 45k MT of it was never built to really be considered lost. The nutritional segment was accelerated in the sense that SZYM wouldn't have realized any of the revenue from the relationship until Phase 3. Presuming upon arbitration going well with Roquette, I think this was a smart move by SZYM. Roquette will likely be a future competitor, however, and they do have the head start now. Nevertheless, I believe the market is big enough for both of them and for many more players.

Kevin
    Mar 24 10:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Hidden Value For A World Made Blind By Associations [View article]
    Cabeza Howe,

1) It really depends on how fast szym or its partners want to move. BG & SZYM already signed the framework agreement to expand to 300k MT (from 100k). There was basically a 1 to 1.5 quarter delay for Moema, so that might have pushed the schedule back (and perhaps even farther if we now want to consider that delay to be part of the norm. Clinton will first expand to 40k before it goes to 100k MT, and i would imagine accomplishing both of these could technically be done by the end of 2015, but it'd be safer to expect it by the end of 2016 imo. These two existing partnership expansions could therefore technically bring us to 400k MT by the end of 2015, but again, I would expect these will fill out more likely before the first half of 2016. As for the remaining 100k MT, I would honestly be VERY surprised if there wasn't another upstream partner already in the works. All said, is 500k MT possible by the end of 2015? Sure, but I would believe its safer to realistically expect it by Q2 2016, and to play it really safe - by the end of 2016.

2) I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but let me give it a shot. I think its very important to distinguish between being able to do something and being able to do it in a much more efficient manner (ie. cheaper). Can current chemical processes make some of the things szym can? Sure. We have things like esterfication, fractionation, hydrogenation, etc. But szym is cutting out a lot of these additional processes by creating the ideal end product (or a very close to end product) inside the cell itself. It's also sourcing local sugars to address local markets. Just imagine the logistical cost savings alone when u cut out the distance and then cut out the additional waypoints along that path - let alone all the capital & operational costs for adding additional steps into the process.

I'm not quite sure what you mean "can't do the same with other chemical processes". Part of the answer might be that the company only makes triglyceride oils because thats what the algae naturally produces. The path that szym chose leveraged the natural capabilities of algae. Can they use it to create other things outside of oil? Possibly, but I doubt its on the agenda. But again, i'm not sure if I understand what you're asking here.

You might have to give me better detail as to what you mean by the 2nd question. If I failed to address your question, private message me as it is difficult to refer to prior articles.

Kevin

Mar 23 09:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme Rose After Its 2013 Year-End Results [View article]
    MatthMiehe,

All in good time. Our timing doesn't necessarily equate to the best timing. When I last talked to the company back in January, there didn't appear to be any true concern about Bunge. It seems most likely that Bunge's optimizing its sugar business, not necessarily selling it outright. Maybe it'll sell some mills, but it's reviewing the status of each & how to make the operation run smoother or more profitable. That bodes well for SZYM imo.

Kevin
    Mar 23 10:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    Wouldn't really call that the case when it also sells off with biofuels as well or when most writers talk about szym's fuels association rather than its technological capabilities. The sell-off was just overdue on the technical charts & happened to coincide with a move away from risk (biotech). Market as a whole is shaping a poor technical configuration. I'd be careful going long equities right now. Personally, I'm looking to set a few bearish call spreads on a few names that have gone a bit too high.
    Mar 21 05:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    There we go. I think we'll see that $12-13 range that you were expecting. Had personally prepared for it for some time now, got some more capital prepared for that zone.
    Mar 21 04:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Spending Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars Solazyme Is Ready To Change The World [View article]
    Why stop @ 625k Liters? Why not a 1000k Liter? There are always logistics involved in every decision. Feedstock availability, storage, starter tanks, downstream processing, and etc.
    Mar 19 10:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    Geosteam,

Glad to see that those are still being read. Back then there were only 300 subscribers to SZYM on SA. I'm encouraged to see there's more than 5000 now. I think its about time to do a summarization article. It's been so long that my articles are starting to get very specialized and applicable only to those who've been following along all this time. Thanks for the reminder.

Kevin
    Mar 19 10:01 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nice overview! Keep up the good work.
    Mar 19 08:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment