Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    I can't remember who said this quote, but I remember someone saying that the biomass "is very valuable stuff and we're not going to let it go to waste."
    Mar 18 10:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    Glad to see the market has learned to disconnect between the supposed "advanced biofuel" players.
    Mar 18 10:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    Thanks. The real interesting stuff to me is in the foods I haven't had a chance to talk about yet (given that there's barely any details about them just like encapso). Algae-based butter, spray oil, etc. All mentioned in the filings. Just wish there was more information.
    Mar 18 10:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    Very nice pull, and I fully agree with your selection.
    Mar 18 10:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Jasonomer,

It really depends on what "this" is. There are dozens of companies pursuing industrial biotechnology, and many have products in overlapping fields. I've been following the BASF acquisition and find it to be a very positive step for the chemical co. If your assertion was that szym couldn't succeed here because there is possible competition in a unrelated product within the same market space, I find that to be a little premature. Thank you for sharing though.

Kevin
    Mar 18 03:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    You and me both, although I sincerely doubt this article moved anything. It must be some short covering before options expiration.
    Mar 18 01:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    Only if the ice functions better. :)

But in reality, no it is not. These companies buy their products from other companies as well, especially those that are plant-based.
    Mar 17 10:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    User 121216,

When you actually look at the products being made they evenly divide up between oils & powders. So in a very broad sense, we're not really expanding into a whole range of diverse product-types. As these markets expand the company will need more organizational strength to address these markets which is why they're hiring as aggressively as they are now.

However, if you're talking about the issue of reaching into numerous unrelated markets simultaneously, that's where the strength of a partnership-based model comes in. The company's largely just research-focused while leveraging the expertise of partners who have the connections & market know-how. It is through the guidance of the partners themselves through market development agreements that the company is designing much of their primary oil products. The partners that will be buying your product are the ones helping to create them.

So its a bit misleading to believe the company's really going in many directions simultaneously. The company's really focused on the technology & utilizing the strength of its partners to introduce them into the market. I briefly wrote about this idea 2 years ago based on an interview with the CEO (http://bit.ly/IcSA5n).

Kevin
    Mar 17 10:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    Appreciate the encouragement, chudzikb!
    Mar 17 10:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Find Growth In Hydraulic Fracturing? [View article]
    Does cyanobacteria count? It's already happening. Check out Proterro & HelioBioSys. I'll predict that we will be hearing a lot more about these companies within half a decade. And yes, Solazyme likely has these names very much in mind.
    Mar 17 10:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    liebezeit,

It really depends on market perception at this point. Even Tesla was initially priced as a car company before the market decided to view it as a technology company instead.

As for SZYM, we see a technology company that the market wants to view as a biofuel company. Any price target will have to determine which view the market actually wants to choose. Should you choose a multiple of 30+ or a low single-digit multiple like Piper Jaffray has chosen to do? Personally, I believe the market will wake up eventually. I think it'll be an encouraging sign when more people other than myself and a particular fool-ish writer decide to cover them. I'm sure this will eventually happen in due time. The market is still very much asleep on this one even if the valuation appears relatively fair in the present.

Kevin
    Mar 17 10:16 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    pwd9398,

Thank you for the kind words, although I too wish there was better coverage on this company by others.

While I'm not aware of what an encapsulated oil product might command, I think it is interesting to see the relative price of fluid loss control additives. These are essentially powdered additives which I would imagine serve a similar purpose to Encapso. On Alibaba, most of these go for $500 - $3000/MT from Chinese manufacturers (who I believe tend to low-ball actual prices). Most of these price ranges appear to average around $1000-$1500/mt, and they are being sold on the per-ton basis. One only has to look up "fluid loss control additives" to see what I'm talking about.

Impressive pricing if indeed Encapso makes use of a waste stream. Especially if 3 MT of raw sugar at $0.1725 on the open market today costs $1,139...... (and yes it takes about 3 MT of sugar to make 1 MT of oil). But of course szym would be getting feedstock sugars at a much lower rate than open market futures contracts.

Kevin
    Mar 17 10:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    buckyh,

Thank you for making that clarification. Nevertheless, it was not my point to assert that drilling mud was the same as fracturing fluid. My sole intent was to show that the oil & gas industry was looking to "green" itself and that this too contributes to the value proposition offered in these additives. I agree with what you stated.

Kevin
    Mar 17 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme Believes Algae Milk Is The Next Big Thing [View article]
    Based on the frying test trials with ADM, this seems to be a given eventually.
    Mar 12 03:53 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme Believes Algae Milk Is The Next Big Thing [View article]
    That is a very valid question. It is possible that the formulation in the pictures above used a different type of protein. The description shown in the comments was taken from a patent application filed some many, many months prior.
    Mar 12 02:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment