Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Solazyme Closes The Year With An Arbitration Win For Its Intellectual Property [View article]
    I don't know what to tell you, Maxx. Nowhere does it say "microbial productivity" or "microbial yield"

The risk factor clearly says:

"Two of the significant drivers of our production costs are the level of productivity and conversion yield of our microalgae strains..."

I'm growing tired going back and forth over issues you want to introduce. It's a blanket statement risk factor that includes a multitude of variabilities (including poor performing microbes as you suggested or poorly run operations). But only you, bioprocess engineer Maxx Chatsko of the Motley Fool, are pressing that it has to be one particular factor with one particular solution that summarizes everything to make it all "pretty simple right now".
    Mar 9, 2015. 09:06 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hello Maxx Chatsko of The Motley Fool,

"For example, with respect to oil, productivity is principally a function of the amount of oil that can be obtained from a given volume over a particular time period. Conversion yield refers to the amount of the desired oil that can be produced from a fixed amount of feedstock."

Based on the cited definition & example, both productivity and conversion yields can be affected by inefficient utilities, non-optimized downstream equipment, or a non-fully ramped-up production plant. They can also be affected by other things as well (including failing microbes as you personally believe).

For example, the amount of oil obtained from a given volume over a given amount of time can be dependent upon how well your oil press is working. And in case it wasn't clear, productivity is a contributing factor for conversion yield.
    -----

That said, you might want to be careful about creating new "facts."

Writing your opinions are great, but to state the existence of failing microbes as a "fact" is a presumption based on your own negative bias of what you want to believe rather than what the company is asserting. We're all entitled to our opinions, but I would be careful about calling something like that a "fact."

Kevin
    Mar 9, 2015. 01:39 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well said, Steve. I appreciate your opinions on the matter.
    Mar 4, 2015. 01:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave,

I wouldn't imagine that you'll see branded algal flour on the store shelves anytime soon. I believe the company would rather leverage the distributing networks of partner companies for some time (65 active projects and aggressively growing isn't small potatoes). Why introduce the risk of building your own brand when companies are willing to use your product and take on that risk themselves? At least for now when your capital is tight and workforce already thinned out.

Kevin
    Mar 4, 2015. 01:33 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mykie,
    It is currently only in the creamers which were recently launched. The milks been around for some time now and already had traction.
    -Kevin
    Mar 3, 2015. 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    User13604742,

Appreciate the comment. It is indeed Royce, but I believe it to be more of the hallway than the porch perse. Took the pic some many years ago.

Kevin
    Mar 3, 2015. 12:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'll press that like button.
    Mar 2, 2015. 04:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    hatvani,

I would contest the idea that "they built no value for shareholders". Whereby the cash value of the companies interests is the only metric being compared by trader-oriented investors, it is the intangibles that has actually been steadily increasing since the ipo.

Be it in the form of intellectual property, relationships, production capability, and (ironically) even financial strength, the company has positioned itself into a much better place than where it formerly was. I cant even begin to calculate the invisible barriers of entry into this important industry at this point in time. Imagine trying finance a new idea to surpass this tech at this point. But determining all of this value is very much dependent on the individuals end goal and timeline. And while I too have been hurt financially alongside investors, I find much value for the longer term being accrued on financials that simply will not comply with accounting standads.

Has the company screwed up along the way? Most definitely, and contrary to the less kind here who want to speak on my behalf I fully assign the misplaced timing expectations which did not transpire as intended as a mark on management's record. But over the course that I have been actively monitoring this company, I believe that it has done quite well given the conditions that it has had to face. The only real disappointment (excluding those where I believe fair efforts were made) I have is in how the market has failed to embrace the industrial biotechnology sector on the basis of quickly dashed expectations.

Kevin
    Mar 2, 2015. 03:51 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Last I checked their ability to scale has not been an issue. Their ability to ramp is dependent upon factors being addressed.

Clearly this isn't a company that you support and I have no intention of leading you anywhere beyond where your sound judgement takes you. My opinions are what they are so you may put your faith wherever you wish. From the sound of it, I have no idea why some particular people are still here apart from their ill intentions.
    Mar 2, 2015. 03:33 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I believe it remains disproportionately misplaced considering the short interest found in the supposed public peer companies of GEVO/AMRS/BIOA/etc. Why it exists likely projects the general sentiment of the market's negative (and errant, imo) perception and I can empathize with that.
    Mar 2, 2015. 08:47 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Saul,

I believe you are underestimating their ability to ramp revenue over time over time and their ability to have access to capital, but I'm not going to argue over your belief to the contrary. My interest in this company primarily revolves around their IP portfolio which I find to be very unique and primarily situated. The business model still appears viable looking forward. It's not difficult to be critical now using irrelevant metrics of current production.

Kevin
    Mar 2, 2015. 08:44 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree with your thoughts, but I think it's hard to call the issue jv selection in the case of Roquette. At least on the face they were the right partner to choose all things considered at the time, and it's hard to complain about the deal made too given the lack of financial commitments on szyms part.

But only hindsight 20/20 reveals lying thieves.
    Mar 1, 2015. 11:14 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good point. I'll put in the edit request. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Mar 1, 2015. 10:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    D.Rockefeller,

I agree with you when it comes to algae-based biofuel @ the pump (and Exxon basically backed the wrong candidate merely based on Venter's reputation). But it's a bit of a generalization to group "oil" together. There are many ways to increase the value & viability of "oil" (in contrast to fuel) when you have control over what kind of oil is made. But at this point, I'm not even talking about crude oil anymore or whatever associations with it are made.

Kevin
    Mar 1, 2015. 10:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    JR3451,

Promote the stock? I would say a bit of an understatement to say the least. What is really needed is a more informed investor base who understands what it means to have a scaled up technology platform with the ability to tailor specific & unique oil profiles & other products. What we currently have are the remnants of biofuel investors and fuels/chemicals analysts who focus way too much on volumes & earnings. Rather than analyzing the strength of the intellectual property and product pipelines, the company (let alone the new industrial biotech industry) has been marginalized by a lack of understanding. Without even taking a more biotech-oriented approach to investing, traders can't even see how Solazyme has excelled beyond the setbacks of its supposed peers (think AMRS/GEVO).

Alas, it's a cry in the wind though. The nascent industry needs one shining winner, and then the rest will come in time. But the market just hasn't been kind enough to make that possible yet. These companies all IPO'd too early and the hurt expectations closed the funding window much too fast.

As for Wolfson, I think he's done a much better job than people give him credit for. Operationally, he's helped navigate the company through tough waters & made decisions that significantly helped the company (even at the price of shareholder satisfaction, which can be rare). If I were to knock him for something, it'd be the way he conducted his insider sales without any regard for the implications it has on market perception and the justification it gave for intense shorting pressure. I think that just hurt the company, but who am I to comment on someone's personal finance decisions. Yet at the same time, I also believe he's a much stronger bull on the technology than anyone here who's complained about those insider sales. But that's just based on my own face-to-face impression.

Overall, I'd say Wolfson does a good job of making & respecting relationships. He's quite articulate and seems to know what to say, how much to say, and when not to say something to someone.

Driven to succeed? It's hard to believe anyone who's devoted a dozen years by jumping into a garage with a buddy (w/o financing) instead of a courtroom after completing a JD @ NYU Law is not driven to succeed. The tech is simply a great motivator though. I wish half the people here truly understood the potential of what's to come out of this many years down the road. It doesn't stop with healthier food & more efficient drilling. I'm sure it'll eventually get more interesting with innovative new materials & potential drug candidates.... the stuff you can't start off with unless you want to doom the company from the get-go.

-Kevin