Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Will Sugar Hold Solazyme Back? [View article]
    experienced, I fully agree. Thank you.
    Nov 9, 2013. 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sugar Hold Solazyme Back? [View article]
    schrumpfmeister,

Yes, I have in my visit in 2012. (http://bit.ly/IicFCL)

If the next question is if it tastes alright, the answer is that it did and that it even had a richness to it when tasted directly. You wouldn't know that it wasn't flour as it had the same consistency. When baked into cookies, the cookies had a good taste profile. The ice cream was also very good. Those who went with me all agreed that the SZYM's ice cream was overall better than the haagen daz control. However, we do think that it appeared to melt a bit faster.

If you are looking for something you can buy now to try for yourself, you can order TwinLabs CleanSeries Veggie (http://bit.ly/18gF49A). The SZYM protein is one of 3 proteins included in the formulation. While this isn't the algal flour you're asking about, I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Kevin
    Nov 9, 2013. 12:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Takes A Short-Term Hit For Its Long-Term Focus [View article]
    Maxxwell,

There is a risk of cash running out. There is a risk the plants will not function. There is a risk of a earthquake destroying the company headquarter (it was even disclosed in the filings). There is a risk of all the partnerships failing. There is a risk of all the markets collapsing.

And yes there is a risk that short term traders move the stock price on a company that has yet to finish construction on its largest source of revenue on time.

These are all valid risks. And while you may wish to refine your risk analysis to now propose the company will not be able to logistically handle a facility they designed.... that is your standpoint to take.

I have publicly stayed true to my view on this company and continue to see the large picture at hand as it progresses. If my article is not geared to reflect the criticisms you dwell upon who's fault is it to have such expectations other than your own?

I have never asked for an apology from you for your terrible reporting of Amyris, Gevo, and Codexis in which I took losses based on your writing. That is my responsibility as an investor. Your responsibility as a contributor is to take a stance and have a justification for it.

I wish you the best, Maxx. I really do. I believe you have a fine skill in writing and I appreciate your coverage on some companies. Even now I appreciate that you have begun to offer more in-depth detail into SZYM compared to how you wrote about it a year ago.

But I have to wonder what your intention is in writing here. My message inbox is open if you actually wanted to reach me personally. I have had many in depth conversations with my followers this way. Why are you writing here?

Kevin
    Nov 7, 2013. 02:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Takes A Short-Term Hit For Its Long-Term Focus [View article]
    It's ideal to just take into consideration a fully diluted share count. If I recall, those convertible debt notes ultimately convert anyways. Expansion will probably require additional capital as well. Not a problem unless one doesn't believe in the long-term viability of the technology altogether. The one thing that is for sure is that SZYM isn't in a capital-stricken state like some other advanced biofuel names. Those companies are now giving away a bulk of their empire at shareholder expense because they're running out of money. That's the difference between getting it right early and playing catch up later.
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:11 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Takes A Short-Term Hit For Its Long-Term Focus [View article]
    Yup, there were more silver linings out there. Sharecount-wise, it's ideal to just account for 75+ million in one's head. I personally just consider 100 million to play it safe. Dilution's only scary when you don't account for it altogether.
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Takes A Short-Term Hit For Its Long-Term Focus [View article]
    Maxx,

I have no plans on going back & forth with you. You can instigate all you want, but I rather not waste my time addressing your thoughts as you clearly seem to want. You have done a great job focusing on the short-hand trading game. Congratulations. But this is not my goal as an investor.

As I have stated before, my emphasis on writing has always been on the long-term development of a company with a very promising technology. There will be dilution, there will be pitfalls, and investors will continue to overreact. While I understand you look at your investments in Codexis and Amyris want want to express caution to an unrelated company, the reality is that this company has done much better at every comparable turn. Cash is king, and Solazyme has it even if the effects of delayed dilution as i already wrote about are now being felt.

Even now, you may want to express doubts in Solazyme's technology when no such concern has been merited. The day the company announced it scaled up to 500k liters, you were writing that it should be looked over because only two tests were supposedly done. This is not to say that risk does not exist nor even exists now. There just hasn't been any reason to incite fear as you have consistently done.

Today is your day because the market is willing to react over fear even though it would not have blinked an eye in the biotechnology realm. But in the end, this company has the cash, the assets, the partnerships and the proven capability to accomplish more than any other name in this particular market space. I'm glad to see only now that you're starting to understand this.

Kevin
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intermolecular: Seeking A Win-Win In Intellectual Property Development [View article]
    packur,

To be brief, the sales are being conducted under the company's rule 10b5-1 sales plan. They are automatic sales that aren't timed with the market. Also, at least for the CEO, he's been selling in 38,500 shares per month despite having about 3 million shares... hardly a sell off. Such sales are pretty typical as they're part of compensation. Living in northern Cali isn't exactly cheap either. Just some thoughts to consider.

Kevin
    Nov 4, 2013. 11:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Solazyme Meet Its Margin Guidance? [View article]
    No problem. Also, "stock performance" should've been read "company performance"
    Nov 2, 2013. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Solazyme Meet Its Margin Guidance? [View article]
    alpha5one,

In brief, these shares are sold in advance on automatic sales plans. Much of these shares are being renewed through rewarded options. It may be disheartening for investors, but they don't seem to be reflective of stock performance perse. The amounts being sold are very small portions to total amounts owned. Not too uncommon for most developing companies - especially for those officers now living in the costly areas of san francisco.

Kevin
    Nov 1, 2013. 10:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why PDL BioPharma Doesn't Look A Promising Long Buy [View article]
    The deal doesnt end.... it just morphs into a 50/50 rev share.
    Oct 29, 2013. 11:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Solazyme Meet Its Margin Guidance? [View article]
    Hi Str8ghtShooter,

I still find it very hard to believe that a buyout will occur. There are too many moving parts in SZYM (contracts with potential competitors, etc). I don't see what the advantage would be to sell out this early for SZYM. Likewise what the advantage would be for anyone to buy out an "unproven" tech this early. Just a thought to consider.

Kevin
    Oct 28, 2013. 09:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Solazyme Meet Its Margin Guidance? [View article]
    futuretrade,

Some more vindication of my thoughts coming from Jim Lane, author of Biofuels Digest: http://bit.ly/1a5sfi4

Kevin
    Oct 25, 2013. 01:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bill Gates Invested In KiOR And Nobody Cares [View article]
    I had to laugh out loud a little bit when I read the title. Well summarized, and sadly true. It is unfortunate to think that these companies have fallen to the point where they're giving away too much, but that's what happens when the business plan was flawed to begin with. From the beginning, everyone who could do math could tell you that one plant wasn't going to be enough to get them over the hump. Funding was always going to be an issue and they really should've tapped the markets harder and at much higher prices.
    Oct 25, 2013. 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Solazyme Meet Its Margin Guidance? [View article]
    Yeah, I agree. And perhaps rightly so.
    Oct 25, 2013. 01:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Solazyme Meet Its Margin Guidance? [View article]
    futuretrade,

Bunge actually never stated they would sell their sugar business, although the media appears to be broadening that suggestion altogether. They one thing they did say, however, was that it would look at a "full range of options" for its unprofitable sugarcane-milling business in order to increase shareholder value. Specifically, that the "status quo is unacceptable, and that we will be active in finding better ways to position ourselves"

But the thing is if you listen to what the company's saying, there is only one particular problem unit in the sugar division itself: "sugarcane milling operations". Global sugar & ethanol trading along with merchandising is doing well. Risk management capabilities is doing well. The value chain & customer focus is also doing well. But it comes down entirely to the milling operations (largely due to things unable to be controlled like weather).

Now there is one thing that would typically offset poor sugar production and that is ethanol production. But government policies are preventing this from offsetting the problem.

So this brings us down to what Bunge will do from here, and quite honestly it doesn't sound like they know yet either (or aren't willing to give any hint yet). Despite 6 years of effort, they can abandon it altogether (sell everything). They can also adjust certain aspects of their business segment (add/sell/upgrade certain aspects of the problem unit. They can also diversify the method of offsetting the problem (ie through new tech like szym).

Out of all three of these options, the last seems very feasible to me. The only issue is that it takes money and a lot of time and it might seem bold to investors who probably never even heard of szym, let alone trust their technology. Perhaps Bunge is vocalizing a problem now in order to justify later their willingness to extend their relationship with SZYM.

I don't see BG backing out of its joint venture, even if that stands as a possibility should it sell out its sugar business. But offhand, it doesn't really sound like selling off the sugar division is really the intention altogether.

However, if BG does dissolve the JV, szym has the right to buy out its portion according to the framework agreement (and with the financing arrangement already in place, this clearly isn't something szym can't afford). It shouldn't be a problem to work with the new owner too, who would obviously benefit from szym's production plant already based at the mill.

Kevin