Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Solazyme's Advantage In A Niche Field Of Heterotrophic Fermentation [View article]
    Hi Adam,

It's difficult to explain the company's prospects in this simple response as it's taken me quite a few articles to illustrate the bigger picture that's now unfolding. However, here's the short-hand response to your thoughts:

The ~85 mil isn't much a concern, because it's taken a bit out of context. The co is in the process of ramping up its operations & is currently constructing large facilties that are capable of generating hundreds of $millions upon completion. For instance, the Bunge 100k MT plant alone can generate roughly $300 mil presuming an asp of $3k/mt. The likely higher end of the spectrum suggests an asp of $4k-5k/mt. The co has previously stated 550k MT of capacity expected to come online by 2015. The co may have to raise capital, but fears of dilution are a bit overrated at this point in time. They've asserted they have enough capital till becoming cash-flow positive. This is also why partnerships are more critical for this company than for otehrs. The co is pursuing joint venture in order to develop under a capital-efficient process. Partners bring in capital, feedstock supply, market know-how, & distribution networks. So yes partners mean a lot to this co who's really focused primarily on the tech & allowed partners to take the lead in getting the products out there. As for the buyout possibility, the simple answer is that it takes 2 parties to agree to a buyout & i personally don't see SZYM selling out anytime soon based on the tech platform they've built & based on the fact they're just beginning to bring it to market. Such partners are doing more than mere speculating. Bunge for instance just proposed expanding its relationship to 300k MT of capacity from 100k MT BEFORE the first plant is even up & running and before the tech had been proven at that level (it's since been relatively proven).

-------
    All said, it's hard for a trader to make any sense of this company right now because the fundamentals look so terrible. True, that's also why the company has 21% of the float being shorted. But the company's actually in a much better shape than wall street's giving it credit for. You might think the company's far away from the "promised land" but in actuality the company's much closer than most people realize. It's not about proving the tech anymore, it's about how long does it take to build the facilities. More importantly, most people don't even understand what makes this company so special to begin with. I would encourage you to consider reading my other article found here:

Dec 31 07:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • These Innovative Biotech Stocks Are Beginning To Build Momentum [View article]
    New article on Frost's OPKO:

Dec 20 09:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kthor,

It doesn't appear as if we're really at that point of switching fuels anytime soon. When it comes to SZYM, fuels are likely to take a backseat to the specialty oils that are in high demand and carry a larger margin than fuel blends do. You may wish to consider reading my other articles concerning the issue found here:

Dec 19 08:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Algae Fuel For Regular Diesel Prices? Solazyme Makes It Happen [View article]
    Thanks, Josh. You may wish to consider these two articles in regards to that:

Dec 19 07:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Recent Scaling Accomplishment Is Bigger Than You Think [View article]
    Shucks. And here I was hoping you to be a man of your word.
    Dec 16 08:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment

Where's my $1000?

"Has anybody ever seen oil produced by this company? I'll pay $1000 for a photo or legitimate testimony about it, ... and I'm not talking about the peanut oil that they showed Josh Tickell."

ill humor you. Here's my submission for your challenge:
    Dec 16 07:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You continue to post unrelated videos of other algae-related companies. I'm curious why. The funny thing is that none of them are actually heterotrophic algae fermentation processes.
    Dec 16 07:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ... or perhaps more logically it was because that was his opinion of what it actually tasted like.

If we followed your logic, then a wide variety of things are probably chicken because a lot of things taste like chicken.

------
    But ok, ill humor you. Here's my submission for your challenge:

Let's see if you'll be so noble as to honor your $1000 offer. If not, please write a 5 page reason as to why each one of these oil samples can not be derived from algae. Thank you either way.
    Dec 16 07:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    In case you haven't read the policy, let me reiterate it for you. The only one paying me is you. Every time you read my article you are paying me. Thanks for bringing your radical thinking to my articles. It's good to know what kind of irrational skepticism there is out there.

"Disclosure: I am long SZYM, BG. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.

Author payment: $0.01 per page view, with minimum guarantee of $100 for Pro articles and $500 for Alpha-Rich Pro articles plus free access to Seeking Alpha Pro."
    Dec 16 06:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Technically, I've never seen Chevron actually get oil from the ocean floor either.... I've seen their drilling rigs at work, but how do I know they don't have a hose leading to a submarine w/ oil on it right below the platform?

For someone who is quick to dismiss Solazyme's algae oil as peanut oil without any real reason for it to even be peanut oil apart from his own skepticism, you sure fight awfully hard to convince others of your conspiracy theories.
    Dec 16 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    By the way, the greater significance of this latest accomplishment can be found in the link below. Good job, BFD. Tear down that wall, Solazyme.

Dec 14 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    luckycharlie,

You're asking the wrong question. But these two articles might assist in getting you on the right track.

Dec 14 03:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    KonaBlend,

I'm not sure I understand your concern. For most markets, the company appears to be able to compete against conventional alternatives. Add in the numerous trends going alongside it in its various markets and there's additional value in choosing SZYM's products.

Referring back to the nutritionals as an example, consider the cheaper alternative to eggs & butter. Consider the high demand for low fat & low cholesterol characteristics. Consider increasing demand for protein & fiber. Consider the attractiveness of non-allergenic & vegetarian properties. Now consider that SRN is using SZYM's non-GMO nutritional lines which is why they were easily able to get GRAS status. How can this not catch on?

I guess i'm just not sure where your fear of market demand comes from. It'd be one thing if the SZYM green bioproduct wasn't compatible with the conventional industry.... but everything drops into existing infrastructure. It can compete with existing products.

The markets are there. The only real question in my head is if the margins are up to par. The scaling was the last big hurdle apart from this. As for the margins, they appear accurate thus far. And if it only comes down to margins.... well then thats like any other business.
    Dec 14 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "I'm starting to like your own predictability."

Yours too... which of course happens right around the same time Ivandertag posts.
    Dec 14 02:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'm starting to like your own predictability.
    Dec 14 02:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment