Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why Solazyme Will Impact The Food Industry [View article]
    Mindrider,

Its hard to believe that any oil that is substantially equivalent to (actually, they're molecularly the same) their original counterparts will be treated as any less competitive. The regulations over the food industry are far less than that of the pharma industry, and it only gets looser with chemicals, cosmetics, & fuels. The regulatory oversight likewise dictates the standards of acceptability by industry. As long as you can prove its safe, it's allowed. Apart from this it comes down to performance.

On the other hand, the upside potential is quite large. Beyond imagination, there has only been one real tangible instance in food in which comparisons have been made w/ other oils. Consider szym's high oleic oil. I talk about this a little in my article here:

But a more detailed picture might seen here (consider the fry test):

This might not meet your standards for a true comparison, but it gives a clear idea of the functionality improvements. SZYM has been tight lipped about a good amount of the information available, so you can research all you want and still might not get what you want. But in the end, one of the best ways to evaluate the company might just be in the quality relationships they've brought in. Those informed parties know what they're getting into.

For more information, you can check out my past articles on the company here:

Or you can always just skim through the company's resources. Pg 11 of the Q4 2012 presentation might help w/ what you're looking for (linked below). But remember that these are just the oils they're telling us about. We know they're working on several others.

Kevin
    Jul 29, 2013. 10:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BioAmber: Is It Too Early To Invest In This Sustainable Company? [View article]
    Thank you, Dinger. It sure is tough to be a development stage sustainable company in the current public market system.
    Jul 22, 2013. 09:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Appreciated.
    Jul 22, 2013. 09:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Author Disclosure: I am long AMRS and SZYM and have no other positions in any of the other mentioned companies. This note is being made after the fact as it was incorrectly processed upon submitting the article.
    Jul 21, 2013. 04:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme: Plastics? Paper? New Value In Co-Product Concepts Derived From Algae [View article]
    While I don't know the answer to that question offhand, it may just be that not everyone is interested in the more technical aspects of the technology beyond a mere overview of it. These patents/applications are actually quite easy to find, but extensive to go through. Anyone actually interested in them should know where to find them already. (the USPTO is a good place to start if you didn't know.)
    Jul 12, 2013. 09:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Somehow, I actually don't believe they'll be talking about this. From what I've gathered, the company isn't out to cover every subject related to their operations. When it becomes relevant, they may shed more insight into this. But I don't believe the question of "what are we going to do with the algae" has really become an issue worth mentioning to shareholders yet.
    Jul 12, 2013. 09:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ...or it can just be a picture of a hand with algae on it. No one ever suggested it was SZYM's picture.
    Jul 11, 2013. 10:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    futuretrade,

If that is money that you are relying upon to be there for you in the future, than I most certainly do believe it to be unwise... even if the gamble proves to be successful. Speculative investments require speculative money. No amount of due diligence can account for the unknown unknowns. Best wishes to you. =)

Kevin
    Jul 11, 2013. 10:01 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mixed Emotions As Solazyme Roquette Nutritionals Breaks Up [View article]
    @ Tom in Texas,

Sounds like we should've had you at the conference! Reading into all that was said, that sounds like a likely scenario. But at this point, it should probably just remain the speculation that it is.
    Jun 25, 2013. 10:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mixed Emotions As Solazyme Roquette Nutritionals Breaks Up [View article]
    Anything is possible, willggh. I tend to agree with RK's thoughts though.
    Jun 25, 2013. 10:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mixed Emotions As Solazyme Roquette Nutritionals Breaks Up [View article]
    Thank you, chudzikb. I wish they were better issues.
    Jun 25, 2013. 10:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mixed Emotions As Solazyme Roquette Nutritionals Breaks Up [View article]
    etienne79,

Good entry points are always a subjective concept apart from the very bottom which no one should ever call. That said, long-term investments are best served by averaging into a position over time either based on weakness or on a set interval. While I can't advise you as to when you should trade I can tell you what I plan on doing.

As I already have a position that I am comfortable with, I only plan to add with continued weakness. The technicals suggest right now that the company is likely to trend down to at least the lower 10's and possibly into the lower 9's. Around this level I plan on selling puts and possibly opening same-strike calls.

I agree it appears that mngmt remains very active, although its yet to be seen how this will develop. The writing is on the wall that it may have been more opportunistic rather than out of necessity... but I guess only time will tell.

Kevin

Jun 25, 2013. 10:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme's Potential Outweigh Its Skeptics? [View article]
    Sorry for the late reply chudzikb, but it is what you concluded.
    Jun 24, 2013. 09:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme's Potential Outweigh Its Skeptics? [View article]
    Sorry for the delayed reply. But I do have a day job to tend to. I plan on writing up an article about this situation, and assuming it gets approved by the editors, you can read my input then.

The release of this article was unfortunate in terms of timing, but I believe its principles hold true. I'm actually a bit dismayed it took 3 days for this article to get approved.
    Jun 24, 2013. 09:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme: Primed To Succeed [View article]
    @ adam: Sounds like a familiar tune I've heard before on many occasion from one particular individual.
    Jun 22, 2013. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment