Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Revisiting Solazyme: Management's Take On Technology And Outlook [View article]
    Appreciate it, bbensch.
    Jan 15, 2014. 11:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    idea$,

1) I'm not sure. These details havent' been publicly released, although we know some of the Clinton downstream processing is handled in Galva. Given the drive between the two locations we can expect some of that additional product conversion to be offsite depending on the product. I believe Moema is equipped with its own downstream processing.

2) This too is not public, although one can do some math and come up with their own conclusions. I believe a typical run takes about a week.

3) Sorry again, not public. So I'll throw my hands up in the air.

All I can really say is this: If you thought of it, I have more confidence that they've thought of it as well. The team isn't filled with amateurs. The backgrounds alone of the mid-tier management is quite impressive. Decades of experience at much larger companies. It helps to be paired with a partners who know what they're doing as well. Bunge & ADM isn't going to let SZYM screw it up just to laugh at them later. SZYM is their business as well.

Kevin
    Jan 15, 2014. 11:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave22q,

IMO, the technology scale up has been one of the most misunderstood stories of the company from the get-go. Understandably its also the most important given the failures throughout the industries be it on the unrelated technologies found in open-pond algae, inferior yielding yeast, or non-related catalytic cracking. The company's technology can scale and it's proven it to date (they've been running runs since 2007 at the 75k-L level; more recently running at the 500k-L level). They're commercial-capable at the 500k-L level. Period.

Kevin
    Jan 15, 2014. 11:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi pwd9398,

Just fyi but SA staff is generally pretty hands off when it comes to stocks. Contributors like myself are independent writers working under the brand of SA.

As for KODA, I think just another testament to the quality of the technology's capability. KODA is "THE leading, specialty chemical distributor in the USA" (http://bit.ly/1iYSQEQ).

Just another partnership with aligned goals in mind especially given the focus of Solazyme as a specialized oils producer. Another quality partner with additional marketing channels for expansion down the road given their diverse market influence (ie. from insecticides to urethanes).

Kevin
    Jan 15, 2014. 11:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Many people simply think its unfair for insiders to sell because it's become popularized as a metric for sentiment. It's just simply amazing to me when it becomes the sole basis for a heated argument.
    Jan 15, 2014. 11:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, Alberrt. With the timetable on infrastructure buildouts, real breakthroughs need to be made over the coming years if we're to reasonably tackle the oil crisis. It's encouraging to look at Solazyme & know that they can help play a part in the solution.
    Jan 15, 2014. 10:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pmenon, I hope it's your continued due diligence that brings about such convictions rather than the thoughts of a talking head like me. I appreciate the comment, and i and am only reporting on the basis of what I am able to discern. I hope that if your position is as you say that it is, that you are wisely investing on the basis of what you can afford. No amount of due diligence or conviction can predict the future. While we expect the best, who is to say what will ultimately be.
    Jan 15, 2014. 04:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Indeed it was. Thanks for following.
    Jan 15, 2014. 04:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Maybe. I know some of the food uses a different strain as does algenist (from what I understand). But apparently much of the oils are coming from a few pumped up versions of the same parent strain which continues to be improved.
    Jan 15, 2014. 03:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    On the contrary I think we're talking about two different subjects altogether. Dillon himself stated that a good team was already in place to carry on what he's established. The fact we have "hundreds" of oils still on the lab bench also suggests the research continues. As more companies begin to request specific profile concepts, the ip itself will naturally continue to evolve. From conversations i had it seems that right now it's about working with partners that align with szym interests. They're beginning to say "no" to certain r&d requests now in other to best manage what's on their plate already. With more capacity and more cash I'd imagine comes more research and ip.
    Jan 15, 2014. 03:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Intwo, I'm pretty sure szym isn't planning plants around 2nd gen feedstock yet. Probably project phase only for now. Don't want you to read into this. Painters comment was looking forward.
    Jan 15, 2014. 01:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'm also at a loss. What secondary? I only know of an issuance for part of Cole's compensation. Is that what you're referring to?
    Jan 15, 2014. 01:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    And that capacity has now grown significantly.
    Jan 15, 2014. 12:49 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    And apart from what they have already said I doubt they can legally say more. Clinton and moema were two topics not open for comment. It was interesting to note that wolfson stated that "... I'd say hundreds of oils [profiles] at the 7 liter scale"

I believe the larger runs appear reserved for development purposes. Co appears comfortable w scaling to 500 k at this point. Interesting to note that these profiles are produced primarily via base strains with same parent which has been improved for yield and productivity. Base strain continues to be improved and oils can be switched on that strain with similar results.

key point: use of a base strain. Need to refine 1 core strain vs multiple
    Jan 15, 2014. 12:38 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I wish I took pictures of the health benefit labels. But pretty much the same to what I showed in previous articles. Interesting to note these products all use an entirely different strain than those used for creating oils. Tailored oils excluded of course. These products i tried are derived from the strain originally intended as a Biofuel (and turned out to be bad) but ultimately made for a similar profile to olive oil.
    Jan 15, 2014. 12:16 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment