Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:

• Why Typhoon Haiyan Shows The Need For Solazyme's Technology [View article]
    Thanks futuretrade. Itll take time but the picture is quickly coming together. This company doesnt belong on the stock market as investors these days have become traders who dont care about long term value. But I for one am thankful for the chance to participate in its future success.
    Nov 25, 2013. 07:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Typhoon Haiyan Shows The Need For Solazyme's Technology [View article]
    Sorry chudzikb, I know as much as you do.
    Nov 25, 2013. 07:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme: Time To Get Greedy [View article]
    Nice overview of the current situation. Keep up the good work.
    Nov 25, 2013. 06:25 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Typhoon Haiyan Shows The Need For Solazyme's Technology [View article]
    I fully agree that Solazyme's success will depend upon competitive market prices. Clearly, you do not believe that they will be able to, and that is your position to take. I do not share the same sentiment.

Even if we were to just assume that sugarcane was the only crop Solazme will use, the geographic range in which the feedstock can be grown is far wider than the restricted areas in which some of these land-restricted oils can be made. Come drought, flood, freeze, storm, fire, and blight, the very decentralized nature of the crop itself allows for a far greater flexibility when it comes to price stability than many of the oil crops it seeks to supplement.

Additionally, you carelessly neglect the fact that Solazyme has already built in several contractual arrangements that negate the price volatility of its feedstock. But beyond this, you also misunderstand that many sugars can be derived from many different crops (cane, corn, beets, cassava, etc), and Solazyme has already proven its ability to use them in its processes. This only further widens the flexibility when it comes to functional feedstocks. It also further stabilizes the pricing of its inputs.

From your past comments/articles, I know you're not a believer in cellulosic feedstocks (nor in it being a viable channel for Solazyme in the near future)... and again that is your position to take. You seem unwilling to even consider the new age technologies now being developed when it comes to sourcing industrial sugars from municipal solid waste, municipal green waste, or waste carbon dioxide itself. Companies like Renmatix & Proterro are already making great strides in their ability to further stabilie the field of industrial sugars.

Likewise, you neglect the fact that SZYM can currently base their process on the waste product of your favorite industry found in biofuels. Yes, the technology can even use waste glycerol from biodiesel facilities to feed its heterotrophic algae.

Focusing on your biased fixation on fuels, what I find most "naive and wrong" comes from your analysis of the DoD Biofuels Purchases in your article "Energy Insecurity - The false promise of liquid biofuels." It is there in which you mislead your reader base with "per gallon" cost figures for DoD purchases from UOP, to Solazyme, to Gevo, and etc.

Like evaluating an early development stage pharmaceutical company on its ability to generate profits prior to drug approval, these figures neglect the context of the purchases themselves. The purchases were R&D contracts which also included fuel delivery. In the case of Solazyme, the purchased fuel was made in toll facilities (both upstream and downstream). They included higher prices of raw materials than actual commercial production specs. In summary, the costs included research fees and were not made in facilities that accurately reflect the cost of production itself. Was the fuel made above commercial costs? Absolutely. But ask the question again once it's done in the proper context in a proper facility under a contract strictly intended for the purchase of fuel....

....Then ask why you're focusing on fuels at this stage in Solazyme's game anyways? Try disproving significantly higher valued cosmetics first, then food, then surfactants & lubricants, and etc. Solayzme is a renewable oil company with the ability to add value to its product through tailoring. It is not one of your typical biofuel companies that you frequently aim to put down.

But hey, who cares about any of that? You got your point across... biofuels are are your "Twenty First Century Snake Oil". I won't dare try to convince your otherwise.
    Nov 25, 2013. 01:50 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Takes A Short-Term Hit For Its Long-Term Focus [View article]

Just a thought on the remaining risks (margins). Despite the backlash I would receive for saying it, I would even go as far as to suggest the company's margin might be better than most currently anticipate. Consider yeast, which I believe is a more inefficient producer to algae.

According to Bioamber's S-1 filing, using its proprietary yeast the company expects to produce cost-competitive replacements to comparable crude oil-derived succinic acid even if oil were to fall down to $35/barrel. That's a 60+% discount to today's price of crude. I somehow find it hard to believe that an enhanced SZYM oil producing a greater concentration of fatty acids would be able to achieve anything less than a similar feat. Just a thought to consider.

Nov 20, 2013. 10:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sugar Hold Solazyme Back? [View article]
    experienced, I fully agree. Thank you.
    Nov 9, 2013. 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sugar Hold Solazyme Back? [View article]

Yes, I have in my visit in 2012. (

If the next question is if it tastes alright, the answer is that it did and that it even had a richness to it when tasted directly. You wouldn't know that it wasn't flour as it had the same consistency. When baked into cookies, the cookies had a good taste profile. The ice cream was also very good. Those who went with me all agreed that the SZYM's ice cream was overall better than the haagen daz control. However, we do think that it appeared to melt a bit faster.

If you are looking for something you can buy now to try for yourself, you can order TwinLabs CleanSeries Veggie ( The SZYM protein is one of 3 proteins included in the formulation. While this isn't the algal flour you're asking about, I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Nov 9, 2013. 12:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Takes A Short-Term Hit For Its Long-Term Focus [View article]

There is a risk of cash running out. There is a risk the plants will not function. There is a risk of a earthquake destroying the company headquarter (it was even disclosed in the filings). There is a risk of all the partnerships failing. There is a risk of all the markets collapsing.

And yes there is a risk that short term traders move the stock price on a company that has yet to finish construction on its largest source of revenue on time.

These are all valid risks. And while you may wish to refine your risk analysis to now propose the company will not be able to logistically handle a facility they designed.... that is your standpoint to take.

I have publicly stayed true to my view on this company and continue to see the large picture at hand as it progresses. If my article is not geared to reflect the criticisms you dwell upon who's fault is it to have such expectations other than your own?

I have never asked for an apology from you for your terrible reporting of Amyris, Gevo, and Codexis in which I took losses based on your writing. That is my responsibility as an investor. Your responsibility as a contributor is to take a stance and have a justification for it.

I wish you the best, Maxx. I really do. I believe you have a fine skill in writing and I appreciate your coverage on some companies. Even now I appreciate that you have begun to offer more in-depth detail into SZYM compared to how you wrote about it a year ago.

But I have to wonder what your intention is in writing here. My message inbox is open if you actually wanted to reach me personally. I have had many in depth conversations with my followers this way. Why are you writing here?

Nov 7, 2013. 02:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Takes A Short-Term Hit For Its Long-Term Focus [View article]
    It's ideal to just take into consideration a fully diluted share count. If I recall, those convertible debt notes ultimately convert anyways. Expansion will probably require additional capital as well. Not a problem unless one doesn't believe in the long-term viability of the technology altogether. The one thing that is for sure is that SZYM isn't in a capital-stricken state like some other advanced biofuel names. Those companies are now giving away a bulk of their empire at shareholder expense because they're running out of money. That's the difference between getting it right early and playing catch up later.
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:11 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Takes A Short-Term Hit For Its Long-Term Focus [View article]
    Yup, there were more silver linings out there. Sharecount-wise, it's ideal to just account for 75+ million in one's head. I personally just consider 100 million to play it safe. Dilution's only scary when you don't account for it altogether.
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Takes A Short-Term Hit For Its Long-Term Focus [View article]

I have no plans on going back & forth with you. You can instigate all you want, but I rather not waste my time addressing your thoughts as you clearly seem to want. You have done a great job focusing on the short-hand trading game. Congratulations. But this is not my goal as an investor.

As I have stated before, my emphasis on writing has always been on the long-term development of a company with a very promising technology. There will be dilution, there will be pitfalls, and investors will continue to overreact. While I understand you look at your investments in Codexis and Amyris want want to express caution to an unrelated company, the reality is that this company has done much better at every comparable turn. Cash is king, and Solazyme has it even if the effects of delayed dilution as i already wrote about are now being felt.

Even now, you may want to express doubts in Solazyme's technology when no such concern has been merited. The day the company announced it scaled up to 500k liters, you were writing that it should be looked over because only two tests were supposedly done. This is not to say that risk does not exist nor even exists now. There just hasn't been any reason to incite fear as you have consistently done.

Today is your day because the market is willing to react over fear even though it would not have blinked an eye in the biotechnology realm. But in the end, this company has the cash, the assets, the partnerships and the proven capability to accomplish more than any other name in this particular market space. I'm glad to see only now that you're starting to understand this.

Nov 6, 2013. 11:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intermolecular: Seeking A Win-Win In Intellectual Property Development [View article]

To be brief, the sales are being conducted under the company's rule 10b5-1 sales plan. They are automatic sales that aren't timed with the market. Also, at least for the CEO, he's been selling in 38,500 shares per month despite having about 3 million shares... hardly a sell off. Such sales are pretty typical as they're part of compensation. Living in northern Cali isn't exactly cheap either. Just some thoughts to consider.

Nov 4, 2013. 11:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Solazyme Meet Its Margin Guidance? [View article]
    No problem. Also, "stock performance" should've been read "company performance"
    Nov 2, 2013. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Solazyme Meet Its Margin Guidance? [View article]

In brief, these shares are sold in advance on automatic sales plans. Much of these shares are being renewed through rewarded options. It may be disheartening for investors, but they don't seem to be reflective of stock performance perse. The amounts being sold are very small portions to total amounts owned. Not too uncommon for most developing companies - especially for those officers now living in the costly areas of san francisco.

Nov 1, 2013. 10:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why PDL BioPharma Doesn't Look A Promising Long Buy [View article]
    The deal doesnt end.... it just morphs into a 50/50 rev share.
    Oct 29, 2013. 11:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment