Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is Now The Time To Invest In Cleantech Companies? [View article]
    Honestly I question if SZYM will ever lead the way for an algae-based revolution in fuels, even if they have the advantage for now. Their real impact will be in these novel oils that control the rest of our daily lives. Increased yields for essential fatty acids? Truly sustainable palm oil? Safer & longer-lasting frying oil? Their ability to change the geographic dynamic of the supply chain alone is a game changer altogether from a logistics standpoint.

Nevertheless, there's simply not enough sugar right now for a real impact in fuels, at least not until cellulosics change the game and the margins. The gas-to-liquid technologies will likely have a more more real impact in this area than SZYM might, especially when they start converting biomass to fuels. But SZYM's tailoring capacity right now is second to none - it's a shame the rest of the world doesn't understand this concept yet.
    Apr 13, 2013. 03:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Now The Time To Invest In Cleantech Companies? [View article]
    Look forward to it when they do. Although the Toups portion is what concerns me the most over the validity of those numbers at this point. =T I'll be more satisfied when they link up with leading companies that can take them further.
    Apr 12, 2013. 05:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Now The Time To Invest In Cleantech Companies? [View article]
    J*H*M,

I like Origin Oil's technology given the direction of the world but there are a few things that are really turning me off towards the company:

1) Very poor financial condition - in severe need of capital; right now being diluted very quickly.
    2) No clear runway to profitability - no proven revenue streams yet.
    3) Hired Michael Toups as CFO, the same guy who must've turned the blind eye to Longwei Petroleum's (LPIH) fradulent work as their former CFO.

If Origin Oil makes it, I rather jump on board at a later time than risk doing so now - too many variables & very little reason to think its undervalued in the present unfortunately.

Kevin
    Apr 11, 2013. 09:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Innovative Companies With Disruptive Technologies [View article]
    It's a bit hard to call something highly susceptible when it has yet to experience a contamination event. But the risk is there. At the same time, for the company to throw out a run and start over after sterilization isn't a difficult task to do. The real fear would be if they consistently run into problems at a certain level of scale-up efforts. The fact that they've proven the ability to run on 500,000 L tanks suggests that this process is a lot less scarier I think you might believe it to be now that they can access even higher-volume, lower-margin markets.
    Apr 10, 2013. 10:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Create A High Performance Income Portfolio With 3 Investments [View article]
    Typically, most funds are already diversified enough to weather the storm and I doubt that NUV is an exception to the thought. Even a look at the top 10 holdings shows some diversification worth noting. Tobacco settlements are essentially running on the backs of tobacco companies rather than municipalities. Then there are tolls roads, transportation, sales tax... it's not entirely municipal debt.

Either way, this is why its important that we maintain a level of overlaying diversification between 2 more additional funds for protective measure. The income should continue to flow even if things turn bad. Nothing's perfect, but a system of high yield & protection is what we're looking for here.
    Apr 1, 2013. 10:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Solazyme Still Succeed Even If It Fails To Scale? [View article]
    Str8ghtShooter,

Sorry, I can't add links after its published, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. As for the market cap question that's dependent upon expectations and audience - both which appear lacking in the present. Its hard to evaluate development companies for that very reason as there really isn't much of a defined metric. You might want to check out my conversation w/ Maxxwell Chatsko in the comment section found here for more thoughts on that:

That said, looking forward, I clearly believe its a number that deserves to be higher than the present. Likewise, the IPO price serves as a marker of what should be possible & even expected at least based on the bar of ongoing expectations despite a deteriorating environment.

Kevin
    Mar 27, 2013. 09:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rally In The Shipping Sector - Is It Time To Invest In Bulk Shipping? [View article]
    Demand for new ships that will come out in several years has little to do with the glut in supply that is already here. The fact that owners continue to remain positive now looking forward remains a positive in my opinion. Scrapping is likely to continue regardless in light of the current supply glut.
    Mar 22, 2013. 10:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • When Ethanol Isn't Enough, Solazyme Provides A Hedging Advantage [View article]
    chudzikb,

Yahoo! Finance failed to pick up this article for whatever reason (although it's funny how they're more than willing to pick up the Motley Fool's articles again for the slightest correction). So somehow I doubt the Tag will be following up here unless he was subscribed to the company on SA.

As for ADM, I have no more additional knowledge about it more than you unfortunately.

Kevin
    Mar 22, 2013. 08:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Appreciate it, jimcoe. Wish you the best as well.
    Mar 21, 2013. 08:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    No, I am not. As often accused, however, I am a strong supporter of the company's technology. More so, I believe this particular investment is one of the more solid long-term growth plays currently trading on the markets. I merely believe in spreading awareness of what is known about this company.

When I started covering it a little over a year ago there were only 130 subscribers to this particular stock on SA. At last check, there are now 2,585. I believe that stands as a testament to company's potential that is very quickly being recognized and embraced. At the same time, the lack of accurate media exposure encourages me to keep on writing. There does seem to be a real opportunity here and it remains rather disappointing that so few writers have picked up on that.
    Mar 21, 2013. 08:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    skrauth,

To keep things short and sweet, I'd say my own fears are already pretty well documented in the company's filings themselves. One look at the risks section found in the Form 10-k spells them out. It also serves enough ammo for anyone to foster a lot of doubt if they chose to do so. I would even argue that some authors of another particular publication have even gone out of their way to do just that.

Although I can think of counter arguments for each of my own fears, I would list my top three as the following:

1) The inability to scale up production could significantly slow down the current momentum in regards to technology adoption

2) The risk of a cancellation/termination of a major partnership grows with every new partner added, and the effect it can have is unpredictable in regards to upstream/downstream capabilities or duration of effect (clearly these partnerships take time to formulate)

3) Regulatory denial of products could significantly hinder progress & put a real question mark over future products.
    Mar 21, 2013. 08:40 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Oversold Industry Leaders Trading Below Book Value [View article]
    Indeed.
    Mar 16, 2013. 02:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sears Holdings Corp. Finds A Strong Investor In CEO Lampert [View article]
    Sorry, Marshall. I don't.
    Mar 16, 2013. 02:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Opko Still A Buy As Frost Continues To Purchase Shares? [View article]
    I'm cautious, but long.

Disclosure: I am long OPK. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.
    Mar 16, 2013. 02:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Opko Still A Buy As Frost Continues To Purchase Shares? [View article]
    There is a lot of truth in what you just said here.
    Mar 16, 2013. 02:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment