Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Thanks for the SLB link, mikestesla. I agree.
    May 23, 2015. 05:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme's Encapso: An Essential Ingredient In The American Shale Revolution [View article]
    I have to echo JRTI. The difference is in the tailored characteristics of szym's tech. It's a performance level concept, and one that distinguishes a commodity from a value added product in a market of its own (or in the very least, a product line with an attached premium).
    May 14, 2015. 03:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Thanks for the input. Appreciated.
    May 13, 2015. 09:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    mikestesla,

Nice to hear confirmation, but I'm curious how you came across your ASP estimate. Thanks. :)

Off-topic, but I noticed that MicroLUBE on Flotek's site has now been replaced (as it was the intermediary name for Encapso prior to the agreement). Flotek has since updated their site to a new format. It doesn't seem like the marketing plan for encapso/flotek is in place yet.

Kevin
    May 12, 2015. 11:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Maybe you don't see how this works, Maxx. I have no questions for you. Once again, I do not want your email address and I am definitely not giving you mine.

But you continuously present to me loaded inquiries, accusations, and claims in public that often question my integrity on my articles.... and somehow expect me to write to you at your email address? What do I have to gain from reaching out to you when you have nothing of value that I need?

Now I have always offered to answer anything you ask in private and even showed you how to do it here on Seeking alpha. I've even tolerated you in public on many occasions and taken the time to correct you when you supposedly had concerns.

Instead, you continue to ignore those requests to talk to me directly in private and continue to publicly showcase. You continue to advertise your Motley Fool publication and present with some facetious portrayal of professionalism while simultaneously acknowledging your intention to "give me sh*t" (those were your words) on my articles.

Shame on you, Maxx. You don't deserve my time and I will see to it on these public forums that that stays abundantly clear.

Again, I do not welcome you here and your continued commentary on my articles reflect nothing but a lack of courtesy and serves as a confirmation of an ulterior motive.

You may message my inbox in private if you like.
    May 12, 2015. 03:43 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Rephrase. On spec algae creating on spec oil. For example, algae exposed too long to a growth condition might develop a too thin or too thick shell or not grow to the right size necessary for an acceptable rate of oil productivity (ie. due to ouput in mech extraction). Solazymes strength is in the knowledge of how to control the growth and development of algae in the fermentation tanks for a wide range of properties (including shell size). In part it's this general knowldge and associated ip that roquette wanted and essentially stole. Needless to say, with inconsistent utilites (for blackout vs brownout periods) the ability to control the process is severely diminished.
    ------

Stop wasting my time, Maxx. If you need help, talk to me in private like you continue to never do despite your previous public comments that you will. You clearly have your own forum to tend too as well thanks to the Fool, so do me a favor and stop polluting mine with your tilted stabs in the dark for deception and conspiracies.

While I'm honored that you would come on Seeking Alpha acting like a snob only on my articles (based on your comment history), I can't compete with your amount of free time. Forgive me for being less then respectful as talking with you over the past few years has continually left a pretty bitter taste in my mouth.

I wish you the best in your article writing career. I really do as you are very keen when you are motivated, albeit reckless in your presumptions. But if you don't mind me saying it's not the best idea to burn bridges. You won no friends in the industry when you invited the misguided zealot Dana Pearls to your synbiobeta conference and I know the reason you didn't visit this company you write about so much on your last trip isn't only because you didn't have time.

Anyways these comments are just not productive for anyone and just lead to us arguing like always. I don't welcome you here, but I doubt that'll change your presence here regardless. Bye.
    May 12, 2015. 12:13 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Pretending it was an earnest question, however, the result of a six hour pause can be very different from a blackout period lasting six days... who knows.
    May 11, 2015. 11:52 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Book value remains one metric of value, and clearly not always the best for an early stage company that is valued on its growth potential. That said, I can not write everything the way that each person wants to see it. The company is losing book value and will continue to do so.

Yet bear in mind even in profitable, established blue-chip companies the concept doesn't necessarily coincide with market value. Take IBM, for example, which supports a market capitalization of $168 billion with only $12 billion in shareholder equity (and a deficit of $20 billion in net tangible assets) to support it. I'm not comparing the two companies in any way, but I do protest this metric's use in this instance as the fundamental basis for valuation without incorporating the comparative advantages and first-to-market position Solazyme has in this nascent industry space that is well believed to play an important role in the coming future...
    May 11, 2015. 11:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    For the sake of being quoted and thrown to the sharks eventually, I'm going to estimate that the company will be selling Encapso for around $3000/MT and will eventually make it for about $1000/MT. Many effective OBM's can be as high as $10k/MT+, but Solazyme look as if its attempting to make its entrance on volume rather than gouging on profit. The company's original cost estimates pegged their believed ability to create oils (which requires additional extraction that could add 40% to the costs) at <$1000/MT at scale in a built-for-purpose facility. I'm just going to be conservative & say ~$1000/MT, but clearly only time will tell.
    May 11, 2015. 11:23 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    Definitely not for everyone. To each their own time frame, and I respect Moyam's opinion on that.
    May 11, 2015. 11:17 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Provides A Progress Update On Moema [View article]
    There's a difference between making oil and on-spec oil fit for a customer's need. Stop trying to create controversy, Chatsko. I'd like to believe you have more valuable things to do with your time. If not, I sure do.
    May 11, 2015. 11:14 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Indeed. I would be very disappointed if GEVO doesn't take advantage of this small pop with an equity raise. They need it.
    May 9, 2015. 10:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "But to the traction question, care to comment on Ptarmigan no longer listing Encapso as a product on their website?"

I think I'm more interested in the Ptarmigan Sauce that they're offering.

As for Ptarmigan's use of Encapso, their last post in January sums it up:

"Though sustained work with the product has not been a reality, Ptarmigan is hopeful that continued product developments and improvements will aid solidifying a value statement for our prospective customers. The experience of working these the various operators in the Bakken is a pleasure. Ptarmigan is very excited to continue to aid in the Encapso product’s development as applied as a drilling lubricant or friction reducer for drill outs."

Ptarmigan wants more work w/ Encapso. Bummer the drilling market stinks right now.
    May 5, 2015. 11:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Now there is a comment worth a "like" thumbs up. Thank you for that, JR3451.
    May 4, 2015. 02:03 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nice article, Arthur. I am glad to have company covering Solazyme and appreciate the reference as well. Keep up the good work!

-Kevin