Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What A Successful Moema Launch Means For Solazyme [View article]
    N808,

I believe there will be an announcement for the expansion, but I am not aware of when it will happen. I believe a market correction will not help SZYM as it tends to be a volatile stock. However, a 40% correction over 3 months is a bit extreme. Especially considering the price support built in due to the financing done at $11 & $13.2 (convertible). It really depends on how many additional short sellers want to tap on if you ask me. Most people here are in it for the long-run. I find a run past $9 will be difficult considering that the reasons (delay of Moema) the stocks even traded down that low have now been taken care of. I'll admit that I would be surprised if we broke lower, but anything's possible (and naturally it depends on how large of a market correction we're talking about).

Kevin
    Jun 1 01:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What A Successful Moema Launch Means For Solazyme [View article]
    sdkcat,

Government revenue has declined to $0.2 milion over 2013 from $14.4 in 2012. (http://bit.ly/1kYPwMv)

The company isn't dependent on government revenue right now as it'll largely be focused on non-biofuel related markets. However, it will also be producing biofuels to further develop those markets and as such it will (in all likeliness) incidentally be gaining from such subsidies when it does.

The same goes with financing. Conventional financing is great but if BNDES wants to offer better terms to support green projects, sb jv isn't going to say no.

To be blunt, is it dependent on government? No.
    Will it gain from government? Yes.

Kevin
    Jun 1 01:49 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme's High-Oleic Oils Are Needed Now [View article]
    Ridiculous paranoia by little people wanting to fight. They'd have a better argument if the genetically modified protein ended up in the product and we ingested it, but it doesn't and we don't. So until then, hollow arguments based on a hollow concern based off an unrelated & unproven concern between GMO & the foods that we intake. Shame on the NYT was making it sound like a conspiracy was about.
    May 31 02:14 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Marrone Bio Innovations: A Small Bio-Based Pest Management Company With Strong Growth Ahead [View article]
    Rick Berger,

Sorry. Editors made me re-write this article which delayed it a day. The market capitalization/closing price got mixed up in the latest price action and recent volatility due to my oversight in that fix. Stick with the numbers from yahoo that you quoted.

Kevin
    May 31 04:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme's High-Oleic Oils Are Needed Now [View article]
    Toasty54,

1 - I need to work on that. But it would help if the other party stopped commenting on my articles to stir up the hornets nest. Thank you for the civil reminder.

Kevin
    May 31 03:55 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme's High-Oleic Oils Are Needed Now [View article]
    Maxx,

Get over yourself. If you're not willing to take the criticism, don't write controversial statements. After all, it was only YOU who suggested that SG could creep up on SZYM's cocoa butter & high oleic oils. Care to show some proof of that solid fact-based insinuation of yours?

Suggesting that some competition is looming and then blanketing your whole article with a vague thought that "SGI was far behind" is far from being careful - it's just an unfounded claim made by an overly ambitious speculator. Bravo, Mr. Objective. I'm not sure if anyone could have distanced himself from his own claims in the same article as well as you did right there. Was there even a reason to write that article if you're not going to stand by your own argument that SGI could be a competitor?

By the way, I find it strange how you neglected to mention that algal-based omega3 DHA has been around so long that it's now off patent protection. You could have mentioned that algal-derived omega-3's has been commoditized (much in part due to SGI's CTO James Flatt when he worked for Martek). But instead, what do you do? You hype up the possibilities by making it sound like this new deal with ADM is a shot at true innovation in food ingredients.
    ------------------

Temper tantrums? Let's be clear, if I'm showing frustration it's with you - not the companies. You're the one attacking me on other articles (http://seekingalpha.co...). Even now, you're the one writing on my article, what are you even doing here? Why you find the need to consistently come onto my articles to argue is beyond me as I am making no attempt to reach out to you.

Also, we know you work for the Fool. You can stop advertising it on the bottom of every comment.

Kevin
    May 31 03:26 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme's High-Oleic Oils Are Needed Now [View article]
    Hi Roger,

I mean you well wishes. I just don't want you or anyone else leaving here convinced that SG is a tangible threat in food ingredients to SZYM just because it signed up with one of its partners to sell ingredients that have been around in the market for a looooong time. It was ridiculous for anyone to suggest that it ever was. To believe this is the case is pure foolishness. I know I'm just extending the speculation around this false issue by dwelling on this so I'm going to end with that.

Best,
    Kevin

P.S. One might want to research James Flatt and his role at Martek to understand why I'm putting my foot in the ground on this one.....
    May 29 09:17 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme's High-Oleic Oils Are Needed Now [View article]
    Snake Plissken,

While we all want to know what we do not know, here is some additional insight for you on taste:

"Through breeding, levels of linolenic and linoleic acids can be selectively reduced to increase oil oxidative stability and deliver preferred sensory profiles. A desirable frying oil, for instance, should be low in linolenic acid and adequate in linoleic acid for high stability and high intensity of fried flavors. A desirable ingredient oil, however, should be low in both linolenic and linoleic acids to prevent rancidity in storage, resulting in shelf-stable food products."

Taken from one of the articles referenced above (http://bit.ly/1k2AMwY), which I highly encourage others to read. Just something to consider.

Kevin
    May 28 10:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme's High-Oleic Oils Are Needed Now [View article]
    Roger Knights,

Why would SZYM's stock jump over a lack of concern over SG? There was no concern with SG to begin with.... nor should there even be apart from the fact that recent attention was placed on it.

Before any additional speculation begins to flourish might we consider that SG has been almost entirely focused on photosynthetic microbes (algae) with its work under Exxon? The company has limited experience in heterotrophic algae and I find it VERY unlikely that they're anywhere near the level of SZYM's platform (especially w/ the tailoring abilities to even design more advanced food ingredients.). Why in the world at least one person thinks a lesser developed co like SG can soon spit out sustainable levels of cocoa products and high oleic oils is beyond me....

And if it wasn't abundantly clear, the problem with photosynthetic algae (although i'm not saying SG is using this for their Omega 3's) has always been an issue of yield - which can also have an effect on how easy it is to extraction oil via mechanical extraction by the way (a more desirable method compared to inducing hexane-based solvents into a food product).

Kevin
    May 28 09:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Why Solazyme Is Pursuing AlgaVia & Encapso Now [View article]
    Nice find. They have been on a roll in terms of presenting to the right audience at the most-accepted trade organizations of each industry. These organizations have been very receptive as well. Heck, I was even given the opportunity to do a small sidebar article for one of them after they reached out to Solazyme's IR in order to contact me. I think it is encouraging that they are going out of their way to find out more about Solazyme. You can find a free copy of my sidebar article at their website here:

May 24 01:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Why Solazyme Is Pursuing AlgaVia & Encapso Now [View article]
    Nice exercise of the mind, Geosteam. I very much agree with this statement:

"The point is not that Solazyme will get this amount, they won’t. The point is that there are a lot of specialty oils out there and Solazyme claims it can address many of them, at a price that will make Solazyme a lot of money."
    May 24 01:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Why Solazyme Is Pursuing AlgaVia & Encapso Now [View article]
    Geosteam,

Nice find, but one caution I'd remind you about is that Grainger sells on the retail trade level. They also have a large premium attached to their goods. For another company I once saw that Grainger sold 5 gallons of liquid insulation for $200-300 even though the company I was watching was selling it for $70 direct-to-customer on their website. Just FYI.

Also, at $205, 1 MT of oil would be selling for about $10,000-$12,000, and that seems a bit high considering the roughly $2,000-$3000 range initially targeted by the company.

Kevin
    May 23 04:59 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Why Solazyme Is Pursuing AlgaVia & Encapso Now [View article]
    Mykie,

There's probably an element of that, but only a little over 5 million shares were immediately added. Even then it was done at $11/sh. At this point it's also taken into account with the market capitalization. Also, consider that an additional $130 million was raised without any immediate dilutive effect (convertible notes). These notes will eventually dilute at $13.20/share, a price almost 40% higher than the last closing price.

So all said, the company raised quite a bit of cash at a much higher price than the present. The recent drop is due to the Moema delay. Is it justified? Depends on how bad the problem actually is. I believe we're oversold.

Kevin
    May 22 09:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Why Solazyme Is Pursuing AlgaVia & Encapso Now [View article]
    Source link on targeted AlgaVia market size & margins: http://bit.ly/1gXRBU8
    May 18 10:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Why Solazyme Is Pursuing AlgaVia & Encapso Now [View article]
    Cabeza,

I'm not in a position to advise anyone on electrical matters. Likewise, if the company says it has implemented "near-term fixes", I'm sure they have quite a few ideas of their own. Based on the numerous people I've talked with, I can tell their experience don't need little old me passing ideas around either. Additionally, the company actually never stated that they installed a backup generator as a result of this issue (although it's reasonable to presume that this might be what a "near-term fix" includes).

The problem about talking about this issue so much is that we're starting to magnify it in scale more than it likely is. The company has stated at least twice now that this issue has had little to no impact on the ultimate timeline for Moema's ramp and that near-term fixes have either been implemented or are underway.

Right now is the time to just be patient (or for a person to sell out altogether if it really bothers them). We'll find out the results soon enough.

Kevin