Kevin Quon

View Kevin Quon's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Opportunistic Trading Pushes Solazyme To New Lows [View article]
    No relationship, no perks, same suffering as you. Just a long-term horizon and a strong interest in this new economy. Solazyme is in the lead when it comes to making it happen, but clearly it's too early for the market to respect or fully understand that.
    Oct 13, 2014. 09:55 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Opportunistic Trading Pushes Solazyme To New Lows [View article]
    Insider sales have been on automatic trading plans and in steady increments not timed to the market. One can argue this is bearish overall, but at same time it appears to be generalized diversification to me (and in some cases due to taxes for vesting interests according to the filings). It'll be interesting to see if these 10b5-1 trading plans continue at these prices as they stopped last time we hit these lows. But the fact they exist are pretty common in most companies. No one reads into these as long as the stock goes up, but they're heavily criticized as the stock goes down.
    Oct 13, 2014. 09:51 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Why Solazyme Is Pursuing AlgaVia & Encapso Now [View article]
    WFS,

In nutrition, the company has natural strains and modified strains. The algal flours & powders (AlgaVia) are natural, discovered through intense screening. Their compositions are "shaped" by the way they are grown in the tanks (ie the amount of protein/lipid is controlled by how much of x,y, or z you put into the tank and at what interval).

More information can be found here with the FDA submission: http://1.usa.gov/RI75Fc

"The source strain for Algal flour (Chlorella) (high lipid and high-protein) is C protothecoides strain number UTEX 250, which was obtained from the University of Texas Culture collection and assigned Solazyme strain number S106."

---------

However, the company is also pursuing modified strains for nutrition for the production of more nutritional oils (although these shouldn't be going under the AlgaVia brand name itself). I believe that the high stability high oleic oil that recently got GRAS approval represents SZYM's first regulatory approval of a tailored oil strain for nutrition. This is why management was excited over the completion of the GRAS process for HSHO in the last call. This bodes well for other tailored oils now going through the GRAS process.

Kevin
    May 16, 2014. 09:48 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Advances Its Agenda On Multiple Fronts [View article]
    As someone who actually read Kiefer's report many months ago, I could not agree more with the U.S. Department of Energy's response to his closed - minded reporting on the issue. This was taken from the article tgar13 just posted:
    ------------------
    In its rebuttal, the DOE points out that Kiefer’s paper does not include any analysis of critical issues of energy systems, including petroleum systems and biofuel systems. Rather, the DOE calls his paper a summary of literature. “Furthermore, the summary of biofuel literatures in this paper has been tailored with literatures with negative points of views and results for biofuels. There are equally important, if not more important, literatures with credible analyses and objective results of biofuels, which were either overlooked or ignored by the author,” said the DOE.
    Apr 28, 2014. 03:32 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Advances Its Agenda On Multiple Fronts [View article]
    "I will never, however, lift my objection to making negative energy-balance biofuel from this process, or the government buying it at any exorbitant prices."

I'm guessing it's because you're such a fact-driven, open-minded, forward-looking, critical thinker when it comes to advancing technolology.

Well while you stomp your foot down, the company is optimizing it's entry into numerous markets including fuels as I've articulated many times over. In the fuels space the near term market will likely be in the refining arena where SZYM's higher quality oils can be used to uplift refined product value thereby selling for a higher asp.

As for the white whale hunter here, I hope he learns how to carry out fundamental research before vocalizing his list of accusations and doubts. These last two instances have just been embarrassing.
    Apr 24, 2014. 06:47 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • For Solazyme, It Is All About Control [View article]
    Doewap,

Thank you for reading. I am not driven to write about this company on the basis of news as much as I am intrigued by their capacity for disruptive change. While I'm often noted for my emphasis on this company in contrast to others, I believe that my greater focus on their workings have allowed me to better express the situation to those trying to follow along. To be short, I write to further detail particular aspects while still attempting to portray the situation to those unaware of the company altogether.

After all, having come to this point in my own research, I know how difficult it is to understand what this technology is all about. Apart from a more in-depth perspective, there are too many errant associations that would otherwise muddle the view of investors who first hear about this company and understand it through their preconceived biases about it. "algae" "sugar" "biofuels" - all loaded terms. However, if you reflect back on my prior articles, I always attempt to focus on at least one particular trait that catches my eye.

For this article in particular, I wanted to place some emphasis on the rather intriguing lysing technique. This appears to be a rather unique method in the present that Solazyme is able to use because of their dual ability to insert genetic code & simultaneously control the phases of production (ie. stimulate growth & change the conditions to grow oil & change the conditions to tear open the cell walls). The intricacies of this control are quite impressive, and very difficult to find outside (if even possible) outside of fermentation applications.

Try not to be put back if you feel like you've read aspects of what I write about before. Some of this is so that I can get the article approved due to my editors. Another part of it is to help keep informed those who are just first hearing about this company. Best wishes.

Merry Christmas & God Bless,
    Kevin
    Dec 23, 2013. 08:50 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Confidently Delivers As Investors Feared The Worst [View article]
    Maxxwell (BlacknGold),

Is it my responsibility to diversify my coverage for the sake of neutrality and the pretense that I am an expert in all fields covered? I write because I can explain things that others aren't willing to explore and some would argue might not even understand correctly. I write about Solazyme because I am a strong believer in the value that exists today in light of the compelling valuation that they are able to achieve tomorrow. I write because I like to piece together thoughts others have not considered - to express value others were not able to see on their own.

I am not here to provide the basis for traders to hang their hats on for their daily operations. I'm not here to provide ammunition to the short-sellers that have sought personal gain by destroying investor morale through their comments. I'm here to provide a bullish case for those who are seeking a bullish understanding of what is going on. I have clearly asserted my long standpoint and I have clearly asserted that I have a vested interest in the company. You can ask for my specific position, and yet what does this mean apart from an understanding of my financial well-being? For this sake, I assure you that I have a position in the company and confidently state it every time I write.

I will not give into your demands for my personal information on the basis of your appeasing your pride in the issue. You have repeatedly claimed that you are an expert of understanding valuation citing your successful 50% chance of choosing one direction over the other. I find it ironic that for someone who was so proud to promote GEVO, AMRS, CDXS not more than a year ago (http://bit.ly/T5B1s2), your willingness to turn around & attack me seems petty at best.

As you were someone I had personally confided in order to share ideas back in those days, I am offended that you continue to assault my willingness to stick to a sense of valuation that was never based on the present to begin with. I can assure you that I feel somewhat less trusting of individuals like yourself.

I value my investments on the basis of what I believe is coming down the road. I am not here to capture the bottom, nor am I here to tell people to do the same. I represent a long-term shareholder on a long-term investment. This is my opinion, this is my article. You can try to hold me accountable for whatever actions others take, but I will speak my mind for what I believe.
    Nov 16, 2012. 10:45 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Closes The Year With An Arbitration Win For Its Intellectual Property [View article]
    Hello Maxx Chatsko of The Motley Fool,

"For example, with respect to oil, productivity is principally a function of the amount of oil that can be obtained from a given volume over a particular time period. Conversion yield refers to the amount of the desired oil that can be produced from a fixed amount of feedstock."

Based on the cited definition & example, both productivity and conversion yields can be affected by inefficient utilities, non-optimized downstream equipment, or a non-fully ramped-up production plant. They can also be affected by other things as well (including failing microbes as you personally believe).

For example, the amount of oil obtained from a given volume over a given amount of time can be dependent upon how well your oil press is working. And in case it wasn't clear, productivity is a contributing factor for conversion yield.
    -----

That said, you might want to be careful about creating new "facts."

Writing your opinions are great, but to state the existence of failing microbes as a "fact" is a presumption based on your own negative bias of what you want to believe rather than what the company is asserting. We're all entitled to our opinions, but I would be careful about calling something like that a "fact."

Kevin
    Mar 9, 2015. 01:39 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Gains Momentum In Food Ingredients [View article]
    Maxx Chatsko,

1) Revenue to Solazyme through SRN wouldn't have begun until Phase 3 construction, which was being stalled by the JV relationship. It's worth mentioning that to date Roquette still hasn't even started Phase 3, although this is probably due to ongoing arbitration and their possible inability to even sell the SZYM product line down the road. Solazyme now has 8 SKU's selling WAF. So regardless of how small I expect these initial volumes to tangibly be, the revenue has already begun to flow to SZYM unlike as it would have under SRN.

2) Yes, I do believe the consistent utility supply is holding back Moema.

Last of all, I hope your unannounced startup company that you are founding works out well. It sure is tough to be to contributing writer when you have to deal with so many sarcastic comments all the time, don't you agree?

Relax, it's a joke. :) But given the amount I get from you, I'm sure glad this isn't my career.

-Kevin
    Jan 23, 2015. 03:28 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Opportunistic Trading Pushes Solazyme To New Lows [View article]
    I know its hard to look at these numbers and see anything but down, but I find it most ironic when you consider the prospects now being unfolded and soon to be realized over the next 2 years. Wishing the best to you.
    Oct 13, 2014. 09:58 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Opportunistic Trading Pushes Solazyme To New Lows [View article]
    Perhaps you should actually read about the technology rather than criticize it with the stock's action in mind. The finished products have already won awards from notable trade groups. The HSHO has already surpassed the capabilities of the nearest comparables - and its now starting to be produced.
    Oct 13, 2014. 09:46 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Why Solazyme Is Pursuing AlgaVia & Encapso Now [View article]
    User 525079,

I do not see them as a takeover candidate and would be very surprised and possibly alarmed if they become one. Barring an irresistible deal, hostile takeover, or some merger of the sort, I believe management and particularly the board of directors has enough foresight to know what is coming and where the company is heading.

I believe its is also very difficult for any company to justify acquiring them as well. Their business model involves a lot of headaches for other companies to get involved in (multiple partnerships, some w/ partners that compete with each other) and a technology that is still very fresh and not very well understood.

As for the market, I believe the coming 18 months will reveal additional partnerships and a changing dynamic of revenue/costs along with an accelerating revenue ramp. I believe the market will begin to see the potential over this time. In the very least, I believe it'll help give the existing short interest a less comfortable trading experience. However, that said I also believe that Wall Street will fail to see this company as more than a commodity player until growth is well underway.

Kevin
    May 16, 2014. 09:57 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme Rose After Its 2013 Year-End Results [View article]
    Ike,

Did you really just refer us to a wholesaler selling product on the 55 - gallon and 16 - oz scale? Perhaps you didn't notice the trend as the price per lb. cost dropped from $4.32 to $1.86. This is the kind of nonsense straight out of your book. Do you really expect wholesale pricing to stop at 55 - gallons when we are selling in metric tons?

Why do you try so hard? Even in your errant argument you are complaining about a 300 dollar differential. Perhaps you can tell us the price that this supplier (whom you referenced) paid in acquiring these goods. You are not even comparing apples to apples in terms of trade level.

Kevin
    Feb 27, 2014. 05:16 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme Takes A Short-Term Hit For Its Long-Term Focus [View article]
    It's ideal to just take into consideration a fully diluted share count. If I recall, those convertible debt notes ultimately convert anyways. Expansion will probably require additional capital as well. Not a problem unless one doesn't believe in the long-term viability of the technology altogether. The one thing that is for sure is that SZYM isn't in a capital-stricken state like some other advanced biofuel names. Those companies are now giving away a bulk of their empire at shareholder expense because they're running out of money. That's the difference between getting it right early and playing catch up later.
    Nov 6, 2013. 11:11 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme: Progress Continues Even As Uncertainty Spreads [View article]
    Maxx,

I am not going to go back and forth with you, so this will be my only statement to you. Let us be clear about what has occurred here.

By ignoring the fact that analysts had fully consolidated their revenue estimates, you unfairly held their numbers accountable to almost half of the production the analysts were using. You ignore that all of the revenue is accounted for, not just SZYM's share according to full consolidation as guided by management. This practically doubles the supposed ASPs that SZYM would need to support in order to meet analyst estimates. The only bad numbers being thrown around were your own. Rather than comparing apples to apples, you threw in an orange in order to carelessly throw out the word "doom."

To testify to these bad numbers was the additional fact that you inexplicably used 15 months of production in order to compare against a 12-month revenue estimate in order to come up with a target ASP supposedly covering 12 months. While using non-consolidated estimates nearly doubled the ASP figures without justification, the latter brought it down. What resulted from all this was a target ASP on the high side to back up your argument that szym may be "doomed" by supposed analyst optimism.

Yet your opinion can only be supported if you ignore the standard that everyone else was using to begin with.

What I find most perplexing is that you now criticize my scale-up rate for being too high. Ironically, while I only expect 75,000 MT (62.5%) of capacity in 2014, your tables suggest that you expect 99,700 MT (83%) of capacity to be utilized when you add back in Bunge’s share of the production. In fact, by using your higher capacity utilization figure your article would really be suggesting that analysts are only expecting target ASP’s of $1725 per MT. Clearly though, you can't print such figures. To do so would fly against the very purpose of your article, and I haven't seen a correction yet.

I welcome your supposedly cautious articles when they're embedded in truth. But this one was not. I have nothing else to say that hasn’t already been said.

Best regards to you as well,
    Kevin