Kiisu Buraun

View Kiisu Buraun's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The New Nifty Fifty, Part 1 - Dividend Growth Style [View article]
    Mike,

Thank you for an excellent article. Interesting, learned much, book-marked.

Also appreciate the many informative comments.

Oct 23 05:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Will Start Social Security At Age 62 [View article]
    Theo,

As I will not take SS (I have that option), I think I'm a somewhat unbiased observer.

Regarding early vs delayed SS, at a minimum, I believe the following should be considered ...

o how long will you live?
    ... If your expected lifespan is relatively short, you might be better off taking SS early. Previous comments discussed the age you must be to make delayed SS the 'better' choice.

o are you married or do you have dependents?
    ... If so, do you plan to leave them anything? You can 'give' (via a beneficiary designation) an IRA to a family member. You cannot (to the best of my knowledge) gift unused SS.

o will you be employed during retirement?

o do you have enough resources to fund your retirement? Can you live comfortably from 62 to 70 without SS?

o have you considered converting your IRA to a ROTH ... alternatively have you estimated your RMDs and in what tax bracket those dollars might place you?

Oct 22 04:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Roth Conversion Odyssey (Part 1) [View article]
    fedinvest,

It's good to hear from another retired fed.

Nothing wrong with your approach, but I took the opposite route. I rolled my TSP over to an IRA and am currently in a multi-year process of converting it to a ROTH.

David,

I'm glad I came across your article. I've learned something new and am looking forward to your next article.

Oct 19 02:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Interpretation Of The Earnings And Price Correlated F.A.S.T. Graphs™ Made Simple [View instapost]
    Chuck,

Many thanks for the tutorial. Greatly appreciated.

Oct 12 01:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Withdraw Money Sensibly From Your Retirement Portfolio: Part 1 [View article]
    Christine,

"I should make my money while living in a state with no income tax, then move somewhere with no sales tax."

If all else were equal, you'd be right...but I've found such circumstances vanishingly rare.

As part of my pre-retirement planning (which took more than 15 years), I looked at nearly a dozen states and found it useful to examine more than just the taxes (we made site-visits and subscribed to a local paper). Similarly, once my wife and I decided to remain in Texas, we checked regional and county stats (and made numerous on-site visits) before making a final decision.

From very early in my career I took advantage of the pre-retirement planning classes offered by my employer. Those helped...not only with financial planning, but they also identified for me, other relevant factors.

As a young man I was told... "Proper prior preparation prevents poor performance" ...and in my experience proper prior preparation definitely helps.

Oct 8 01:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Robert.from.Ct,

"A lot of ranchers are all hat and no cattle"

That does happen.

In my drives around the state over the past 30+ years, beside the numerous cattle ranches, I've seen horse farms; goat and sheep farms; exotic animal ranching (amazingly popular...a neighbor raises registered llamas; others populate their ranches with African exotics).

In my case, I have cattle and hats.

Oct 6 10:26 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Robert,

Comparative geography [Texas vs. other US states; Texas vs. European countries] can be rather enlightening.

Oct 6 09:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Robert,

Texas farms can be both smaller than 30 acres and considerably larger (many thousands of acres).

Having traveled a fair amount, and having lived in various states, I like the Texas attitude, cuisine, and definitely appreciate Texas's lower fuel prices (friends tell me they pay a $0.50/gal [or more] premium where they live).

But, it doesn't change my appreciation of Texas if you decide to stay where you are.

Oct 6 07:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Overdue' Dividend Increases (And Other Streaks At Risk) [View article]
    Robert,

I'm subbing out some of the work. For example, a gas leak could really ruin my day...and the local plumber (who does gas lines) is incredibly cheap.

However digging in the dirt (and doing minor concrete work) merely requires a strong back...and gives me time to think.

Oct 6 03:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Robert, djsulli,

If you have a farm, you can apply for an "ag" exemption which can drastically decrease RE taxes. The RE taxes on my rather modest Houston town home ran ~2,500. The taxes on my farm run about $600. Part of the difference is due to the "ag" and part due to the cost difference between metro and rural "services".

Though I miss the wider selection of ethnic restaurants available in Houston, I enjoy the lower rural prices...and when I really need something not available locally, DalWorth is only a few hours away.

While the sales tax is generally 8.25% (can be lower), food and medications are not taxed and typically we have a clothing "tax-free" weekend near the beginning of the school year.

Oct 6 03:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Overdue' Dividend Increases (And Other Streaks At Risk) [View article]
    David, Robert,

I'm not eating dirt or concrete...merely expanding an existing farm building and constructing a covered outdoor kitchen (sinks, drains, electrical power, gas lines, etc)

Oct 6 03:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Robert,

I'm retired. Have been since 3 Jan 2009. Though I work, I'm not employed.

Each year I estimate the amount I can convert from an IRA to a ROTH without going to a higher bracket; I look at how much I have left in the IRA; the number of years remaining before RMDs kick in; and I check the amount of cash I have on hand to pay the additional required taxes.

All those numbers figure into how much I convert each year.

Fortunately, though the remaining IRA is geared toward dividend growth, its gross value has increased quite nicely (I'm not currently spending any of it for expenses)...and I'm also fortunate to have sold my Houston residence so I have resources to pay the additional taxes.

At times (depending on my overall financial status), I convert more than the minimum. By doing so, I reduce the risk of having assets in the IRA (because the IRA grew faster than expected) when I reach 70-1/2.

Hope this helps.

Oct 5 07:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Overdue' Dividend Increases (And Other Streaks At Risk) [View article]
    David,

"Well...a guy's gotta have a hobby, I guess...;)"

Yes...in my case, it's a farm; it keeps me off the streets, generally out of trouble, and fed without getting fat. ;)

Oct 5 07:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chuck,

Thank you for the excellent article.

When I turned 59-1/2 I began an annual process of converting a portion my IRAs to a ROTH and paying the requisite taxes from external cash. By doing so I manage my taxes on my terms...rather than on the IRS's.

My goal is to deplete my final remaining IRA by the time I reach 70-1/2.

Usually I do an in-kind conversion, but I also like your suggestion of identifying richly-valued holdings, selling them and transferring the corresponding cash for a different investment.

Please keep up the good work.

Oct 5 03:31 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Overdue' Dividend Increases (And Other Streaks At Risk) [View article]
    David,

Thanks for the article. Sorry I missed it when you first published it.

Guess I need to do more reading ... and less playing in dirt and concrete.

Oct 4 06:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment