Kiisu Buraun

View Kiisu Buraun's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    mbn,

It's not just the French education system ... in school we had "mathletes" and scholastic bowls

Mathletes competed against math teams from other schools and had to answer verbal math questions without the benefit of pencil, paper, calculators (which effectively didn't exist) or computers (the small ones literally filled an office and the nearest such was a glorified IBM punch-card sorting machine the next county over).

Scholastic bowl school teams competed to answer questions on a broad array of subjects, including history, geology, geography, civics, and such ... the competitions were broadcast on the local radio station.

To the best of my knowledge (and based on observation of my daughter's and granddaughter's experiences in public school) those kind of activities have been replaced with make-work time fillers more appropriate IMO for very young children.

Apr 23, 2015. 10:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Robert,

Yet another mistake on my part ... please accept my apologies.

Apr 23, 2015. 04:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Robert,

I guess it's a matter of philosophy.

I've made mistakes, I'm making mistakes, and I'll continue to make mistakes ... I've found no way to avoid mistakes ... other than to do nothing (which is another kind of mistake).

So I'd prefer to make those mistakes as quickly and cheaply as I can ... learn from them and move on.

Repeating a series of calculations by hand using pad and pencil takes longer and costs more than using a spreadsheet. When I notice the results for the N'th iteration don't make sense, I can fix the error, cheaply rerun the calculations and quickly move on to finding and fixing the next mistake.

When my ancestors confronted similar problems, solving them (using the best means available at the time) often took years of effort ... and because that expense competed with other more urgent efforts ... many of those problems were never explored ... and progress delayed.

Apr 23, 2015. 04:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Christine,

Your comment dusts-off a collection of ancient, spider-webbed memories.

Replaced my HS slipstick with a 4" circular Picket my senior year ... one of my college engineering profs demonstrated a mechanical marvel ... a hand-held crank driven calculator about the size of a hand-grenade for simple math (a surveying tool as I recall).

A few months later I bought a Kingston Scientific electronic hand-held calculator.

Progress ... the ability to make more mistakes, faster and cheaper.

Apr 23, 2015. 05:16 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Dividend Growth Kept Up With Inflation? [View article]
    Very interesting.

Sorry I missed this discussion back when it was fresh.

Mar 22, 2015. 04:23 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Investing: It's Riskier Than You Probably Think [View article]
    Alan,

"YOU ARE STILL NOT LISTENING!"

Why do you care?

It's obvious you and conkjc have different opinions on the subject. I doubt either of you will convince the other ... so move on and let it be.

Before I retired, I had a sign over my desk as a reminder ... mostly to myself (and only occasionally for others) ... that stated: "no matter how it first appears, it is almost always an attitude problem".

Even what initially appeared as no-nonsense engineering problems were, when I got down to the nitty-gritty and truly understood the situation, a thin technical frosting spread over a thick cake of attitudes.

Mar 20, 2015. 01:12 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Selling One Dividend Aristocrat And Buying Another Makes Sense When Reaching For Income [View article]
    Bruce,

Thank you for the education. Definitely appreciated.

Mar 19, 2015. 09:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can AT&T Save Your Retirement Portfolio? [View article]
    Robert,

For what it is worth, currently T (as of today about noon CDST) has a much higher yield than the others.

PEP .. 2.78%
    JNJ .. 2.80%
    PG .. 3.10%
    KO .. 3.26%
    XOM .. 3.28%
    T .. 5.71%

Mar 18, 2015. 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bill Gross: Going To The Dogs [View article]
    Color me cautious.

When I bought my Houston townhouse (late '92) and later when I bought the farm (late 2008), my cost to income ratio for each was less than 1x (before applying a 20% cash down payment).

Keeping that ratio down meant I was able to handle the unexpected, invest for retirement and pay off each property in roughly 1/4 the scheduled time (30 year townhouse mortgage paid off in less than 7 years, 15 year farm mortgage paid off in less than 4 years).

Even the houses I bought at a much younger age ('77, '83, '88) had multiples under 2x.

I've known folks who have bought with higher multiples (many of my compadres in DC were paying closer to 5x), but it left them no margin for error.

Mar 18, 2015. 12:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Laws Of Cap Rate Compression And Several REITs With Mispriced Risk [View article]
    Qniform,

Late (as usual) to the discussion, but ...

"if I were king ... you could trust me to set things right. Do I have your support?"

As Lord Acton stated in his letter to Archbishop Creighton: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority, still more when you superadd the tendency or the certainty of corruption by authority. There is no worse heresy than that the office sanctifies the holder of it. That is the point at which the negation of Catholicism and the negation of Liberalism meet and keep high festival, and the end learns to justify the means."[1]

1. http://bit.ly/18ESpPT
    Mar 17, 2015. 10:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bill Gross: Going To The Dogs [View article]
    "the 1000 lb gorilla is debt".

I agree.

One of the prime beneficiaries of inflation is the federal government. For government inflation works as a hidden tax ... the government borrows money from investors, spends the money (at its current value) and eventually pays back the debt with cheaper dollars.

"How do you implement negative interest rates?"

Europe is in the process of implementing negative interest rates ... the depositor is charged for deposits and earns no interest.[1]

1. http://bv.ms/1MKYRBR,
    o http://nyti.ms/1MKYRBS,
    o http://bit.ly/18If6CX
    o http://on.wsj.com/1MKYRBV
    o http://on.wsj.com/1zOsUXO
    Mar 17, 2015. 05:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bill Gross: Going To The Dogs [View article]
    "Transportation is cheaper for everything when there is less deflation."

So the cost of transportation increases as fuel costs decrease?

That has not been my experience. Nor, when I have talked to long distance truckers, was it something they experienced.

"Your computer purchases will be higher during poor economic times due to costs of LTL trucking and shipping."

That statement conflates deflation and "poor economic times". On occasion, the two may be coincident, but deflation is not a requirement nor a required precondition for "poor economic times".

Mar 17, 2015. 05:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bill Gross: Going To The Dogs [View article]
    I'm familiar with the standard arguments regarding the pitfalls of deflation ...
    which is "an economic term used to describe a period of declining prices for goods and services."

However, if my combined total costs over a year effectively decreased by 1% would I be better off ... or worse off?

I would be better off.

Given that case, it seems there are a few ways that could be achieved:

1. I could earn more income.
    2. My actual combined total costs could decrease by 1%.

1 is a taxable event. To compensate for the tax loss, I would need to earn even more income to effectively decrease my expenses by 1%.2 is not a taxable event. Thus a 1% decrease in my cost is just that, a 1% cost reduction.

David: "Deflation in the classic sense is considered broadly and across most all asset classes and markets. You don't want deflation cause you likely won't have a job. Demand falls and falls more as more are fired and falls more. Rinse/Repeat."

The implication (of the above statement) is that as a price decreases consumers want less of it ... yet, I seem to recall very large crowds during the pre-Christmas sales ... sales which offered lower prices on a broad category of goods and services.

So there must be some unstated, non-obvious assumptions in the statement.

Because in my experience, as the price of an item or service goes down the demand goes up ... (stocks being perhaps the notable exception). While as the price climbs ... the demand falls.

And with a sufficiently high price, the demand vanishes entirely.

Mar 17, 2015. 02:05 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Aristocrats: Should They Be A Part Of Your Investing Decision? (Part 1) [View article]
    My $0.02 worth...

With many browsers (and some other software) pressing CTRL and the "+" key will enlarge the text, while pressing "CTRL" and the "-" key will reduce the text.

With FireFox I can increase up to 300% and reduce down to 30% of the original size.

Mar 17, 2015. 12:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bogle's Views On Retirement Income [View article]
    Smarty,

The system as you describe it, exists (I have not heard of any reforms occurring after my retirement) ... and is yet another of the many types of fraud inherit with big government.

Mar 17, 2015. 12:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment