Kirk Lindstrom

View Kirk Lindstrom's Comments BY TICKER:
  • U.S. Debt At 102% Of GDP Hits Another Record... Is It Time To Buy Gold? [View article]
    CONSUMER PRICE INDEX – JULY 2014
    8:30 a.m. (EDT) Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) increased
    0.1 percent in July on a seasonally adjusted basis, the U.S. Bureau
    of Labor Statistics reported today. Over the last 12 months, the all
    items index increased 2.0 percent before seasonal adjustment.

The index for all items less food and energy rose 1.9 percent over the
    last 12 months, the same figure as for the 12 months ending June. The
    energy index has increased 2.6 percent, and the food index has risen 2.5
    percent over the span.

Aug 19 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "Good idea; that chart put things in perspective, so I don't have to be on my high horse of ignorant misunderstanding. I apologize to you."

Apology accepted. Good discussion too.
    Aug 17 01:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Anneec, I hate to argue with someone who has a degree in math and is my elder but I'll stick to my calculation which seems to match the St. Louis Fed's calculations.

See "Federal Debt: Total Public Debt as Percent of Gross Domestic Product" at http://bit.ly/130gE1N

Tell you what, convince the Fed your math is correct and I'll update my article.

Otherwise, maybe I should add that chart to my next article so others don't get confused by this new math of yours.
    Aug 16 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Sprouts Worth? [View article]
    Excellent analysis. I have SFM on my short list of stocks to consider if we get a huge bear market and my asset allocation screams buy great companies at bargain levels as we might get more than your 31% DISCOUNT as often happens. It is how I bought GOOGL for $310 after it first hit $700s.

I too mostly shop there and only go to Safeway when I get better advertised deals on meat and Dave's Organic bread is $4 at Safeway vs $6 at SFM. SFM has produce at half the price of Safeway... maybe that is their loss leader to get you in the door and make the profit on the specialty items many seem to pick up.... Unlike WFM, I get the impression SFM wants to sell you healthy food at a reasonable price while the other acts like they know some don't care how much they pay for perceived health and they profit from it.
    Aug 13 01:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good point! I think the first step to getting the public to understand the problem is a sober analysis of the data without political posturing.

Also, welcome to Seeking Alpha. It is an honor my post inspired you to make your first comment.
    Aug 13 01:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BTW, I gave links to the sources for my numbers showing total debt and current dollar GDP in the article running about $17T. I'm pretty sure my math (used Excel to do the calculation) is correct.
    Aug 13 12:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I agree! It is why I am working to get the actual data out to the public without MSNBC or Fox putting their political spin on it.

Aug 13 12:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I guess you are using some of that new math as I sure don't understand what you are trying to say.

Aug 13 12:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Here is your opportunity to educate millions who believe what I say.

"I am left feeling that the author does not really understand the subject, QE is not the same as printing money."

Other than the fact a computer is used rather than an actual printing press to create funds to buy government debt, how would you explain where the money comes from?

Thank-you in advance for your answer.

Aug 13 11:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You're welcome and thanks for the comment. Have you tried to calculate the inflation rate for your personal basket of goods? I agree some items are up over 100% in the last 10 to 15 yrs, such as water bills in California. Much of the gains are to pay for restoring neglected infrastructure and growing percentage of pension costs to the overall costs are more retire and live longer. My own basket of "must have" items like mortgage, food, water, power, gasoline, insurance, health care, etc. may be fairly close to the "official number" since the total mortgage payment to service interest on the debt is down enough to offset much of those gains. If you were a renter over this period, then you'd see the opposite with soaring rents.

I may have to add "renters" to the list of those paying a hidden tax via the Fed keeping interest rates artificially low. BTW, I own and recommended REITS in my investment letter so we benefited GREATLY from this effect. I don't gloat as it hasn't been pleasant for renters, especially those in the SF Bay Area. A new building near me, built on an old SEARS parking lot and just up the street from Google HQ has 2b/2b units for rent at over $4,000 a month! The homes are in Mountain View but the kids will go to school in Los Altos where the average house will be asked to pay about $600 a year in extra taxes to service a bond to build more schools. If that bond measure passes, there goes our (homeowners) better personal inflation rate.
    Aug 13 11:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Did you mean "HIGH Inflation isn't going to happen?"
    We already have inflation running at 2.1% and the fed said it will run higher....

I agree we should not have high inflation but eventually the Fed will raise rates and not cause a recession as the new taxes on new jobs will pay the higher interest payments on the National Debt. Since the debt is so large, they will not raise rates quickly.
    Aug 13 05:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I split a bullet into two but somehow left part of it in the first one. I submitted this request:

Please change summary bullet from:

"The US budget Deficit grew another $95 billion in July 2014 to a record $17.7 trillion."

to

"The US budget Deficit grew another $95 billion in July 2014"

The total national debt is $17.7T, correctly stated in the 4th bullet....
    The title should read
    " U.S. Debt At 102% Of GDP Hits Another Record... Is It Time To Buy Gold?"
    Thanks for spotting this!
    Aug 13 05:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dow Economic Sentiment Index Supports A Higher Market [View article]
    I love this!

"if you keep listening to the fans sitting on the sidelines for advice (pundits and hot stock tips)....you will be sitting with them next season."

I've always looked at investing as buying something that will produce income for me be it a local business, a rental house, apartment or a tech stock. I buy tech stocks with no dividends in the hope they eventually turn into dividend payers. I believe Intel is paying me at a rate of over 33% on what I paid for the shares some 20 years ago and I can always sell those share (that didn't pay a dividend when I bought them) for a price that will net the buyer a 3% dividend after he pays the markup.

I look at it as there is ALWAYS fear in the markets and when they react to those fears, it is an opportunity to "look at Potter... He's buying!"

The real secret is to not buy the hyped up, often garbages stocks, that almost always crash in price before they reach their ultimate valuation if they really are what they were hyped to be. I didn't buy GOOGLE until AFTER it crashed over 50%. Bought shares at $155 and $261 which gave me plenty of profits even if I missed out on buying shares after the IPO at lower prices. I wanted them to prove themselves to me before getting my money then I wanted the shares at a price I thought offered value.
    Aug 5 04:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • SPY Sets Another Record High While ECRI's WLI Is Just Below A 6.3-Year High [View article]
    The U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) has issued the following news release today:

Real gross domestic product -- the output of goods and services produced by labor and property located in the United States -- increased at an annual rate of 4.0 percent in the second quarter of 2014, according to the "advance" estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the first quarter,
    real GDP decreased 2.1 percent (revised).

The full text of the release on BEA's Web site can be found at http://1.usa.gov/vgZr0y
    Jul 30 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annual Changes To NASDAQ-100 Index Highlight Opportunity And Risk [View article]
    On Dec. 22, 2012, LRCX was #2 position at 5.5% of the explore portfolio at $36.37
    My #1 position at 6.1% was FNSR at $14.98.
    Jul 28 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment