Kirk Lindstrom

View Kirk Lindstrom's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is Tesla Motors Worth $65 Or $320? Are Ford, GM Or BMW Better Bets? [View article]
    First close under $200 yesterday... Tesla was $252.54 when I wrote this article.

Date 4/15/2014

Change %: (12.0%)

TM (Toyota)
    Price when I wrote the article on 2/27/14: $116.02
    Price today: $105.91
    Change $: ($10.11)
    Change %: (8.7%)

SPY (Recommend in my Seeking Alpha articles http://bit.ly/18Mo2VJ )
    Price when I wrote the article on 2/27/14: $185.82
    Price today: $182.63
    Change $: ($3.19)
    Change %: (1.7%)
    Apr 15 11:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • SPY 4% Off Record High, While ECRI's WLI Sets A 205-Week High [View article]
    Ralph Acampora, the man who calls himself "The Godfather of Technical Analysis" on his Twitter feed and a regular guest on Louis Rukeyser's weekly "Wall Street Week" show, said to "Use any near-term rally(s) as an opportunity to lighten-up positions" For details, see: http://bit.ly/1jHSi7b
    Apr 15 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SPY 4% Off Record High, While ECRI's WLI Sets A 205-Week High [View article]
    Notice that ECRI's WLI is tied for a 3.9 yr high and if it ticks up just 0.1 pt with a revision next week, it would be at a level not seen since before the financial collapse.
    Apr 14 02:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Wisconsin 'lemon law king' sues Tesla Motors
    Apr. 7, 2014 10:39 AM
    From http://gbpg.net/1mUywZJ

"MADISON — Wisconsin’s self-proclaimed lemon law king filed a lawsuit on Monday against direct-order car maker Tesla Motors, accusing the company of selling a defective electric car to a Franklin doctor."

and

"Attorney Vince Megna filed the Wisconsin lawsuit in Milwaukee County Circuit Court. According to the lawsuit, Robert Montgomery of Franklin had a 2013 SP Sedan delivered in March 2013. The car cost $94,777, plus $4,738 in Wisconsin sales tax.

The car, which was under warranty, was in the shop for more than 30 days to repair various problems, including failure to start, power up and charge at Montgomery’s home, as well as inoperable door handles, malfunctioning defrost and paint defects, the lawsuit said.

Wisconsin’s lemon law requires manufacturers to repair a warranty-covered defect after four tries in a year or provide a timely refund or replacement. The lawsuit claims Montgomery asked Tesla to refund his money in November but the company has done nothing, violating the law."

Interesting... I thought Tesla had a good reputation of taking care of its customers.

many are picking up this story http://bit.ly/1mUywZL

Apr 7 03:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Pretty cool videos showing impacts to the new shield. Tesla is a great company, just not a good enough value for me to add to my portfolio....

March 28, 2014
    Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S
    By Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEO

In 2013, two extremely unusual Model S collisions resulted in underbody damage that led to car fires. These incidents, unfortunately, received more national headlines than the other 200,000 gasoline car fires that happened last year in North America alone. In both cases, the occupants walked away unharmed, thanks to the car’s safety features. The onboard computer warned the occupants to exit the vehicles, which they did well before any fire was noticeable. However, even if the occupants had remained in the vehicle and the fire department had not arrived, they would still have been safely protected by the steel and ceramic firewall between the battery pack and the passenger compartment.

It is important to note that there have been no fire injuries (or serious, permanent injuries of any kind) in a Tesla at all. The odds of fire in a Model S, at roughly 1 in 8,000 vehicles, are five times lower than those of an average gasoline car and, when a fire does occur, the actual combustion potential is comparatively small. However, to improve things further, we provided an over-the-air software update a few months ago to increase the default ground clearance of the Model S at highway speeds, substantially reducing the odds of a severe underbody impact.

Nonetheless, we felt it was important to bring this risk down to virtually zero to give Model S owners complete peace of mind. Starting with vehicle bodies manufactured as of March 6, all cars have been outfitted with a triple underbody shield. Tesla service will also retrofit the shields, free of charge, to existing cars upon request or as part of a normally scheduled service.

.....
    Mar 29 11:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Today is a "risk on" day yet some attribute Tesla's move higher today to this article:

(Reuters) - U.S. safety regulators said they closed an investigation into fires involving electric sports car maker Tesla Motors Inc's (TSLA) popular Model S sedans after finding no "defect trend", sending the company's shares up as much as 4 percent.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) began its investigation after two cars in the United States and one in Mexico caught fire.

The two U.S. fires started after the driver ran over debris in the road, damaging the battery pack that runs along the base of the Model S.

Tesla responded by raising the ground clearance at highway speeds and taking steps to prevent overheating of its charging systems, including giving customers upgraded wall adapters and providing charging-software upgrades.

"Tesla's revision of vehicle ride height and addition of increased underbody protection should reduce both the frequency of underbody strikes and the resultant fire risk," the NHTSA said on its website. (http://bit.ly/1jfHTA5)

The regulator said that while a "defect trend" had not been identified, the closing of the investigation did not constitute a finding that a safety-related defect did not exist.

Tesla's shares were up 1.9 percent at $211.35 in early trading on the Nasdaq.
    Mar 28 02:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment

Change %: (6.0%)

TM (Toyota)
    Price when I wrote the article on 2/27/14: $116.02
    Price today: $111.64
    Change $: ($4.38)
    Change %: (3.8%)

SPY (Recommend in my Seeking Alpha articles http://bit.ly/18Mo2VJ )
    Price when I wrote the article on 2/27/14: $185.82
    Price today: $184.63
    Change $: ($1.19)
    Change %: (0.6%)
    Mar 27 01:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Prices one month after my article:

Date 3/27/2014

Change %: (6.0%)

TM (Toyota)
    Price when I wrote the article on 2/27/14: $116.02
    Price today: $111.64
    Change $: ($4.38)
    Change %: (3.8%)

SPY (Recommend in my Seeking Alpha articles http://bit.ly/18Mo2VJ )
    Price when I wrote the article on 2/27/14: $185.82
    Price today: $184.63
    Change $: ($1.19)
    Change %: (0.6%)
    Mar 27 01:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Toyota intends to spend ¥360B ($3.5B) on repurchasing up to 60M shares, or 1.89% of the total.

The car-maker will then use half the shares to benefit a charity foundation that it's establishing by selling the stock to Japan Trustee Services Bank for a token sum of ¥1 each. Dividends will be used to finance the foundation. Toyota (TM) will also cancel the other 30M shares.
    Mar 26 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple, Is The Bandwagon Full? Consider Finisar [View article]
    When I wrote this article,
    Apple was $599
    and
    Finisar was $19.43

Today
    Apple is $548.65
    and
    Finisar is $27.41

MacBook shipments in 2014 may fall to 10 million units, say Taiwan makers
    Aaron Lee, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 25 March 2014]
    MacBook shipments in 2014 are likely to drop by about 15% from 12 million units in 2013 to 10 million units or even 9.9 million units, according to some of Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

MacBook shipments in January-February 2014 were as expected, but Apple has significantly decreased shipments in March, the sources said.

However, other Taiwan-based supply chain makers hold the opinion that 2014 MacBook shipments estimates may not be accurate because Apple will launch new models in the second half of 2014. Apple will reportedly launch a MacBook Air with Retina display, the makers said.

Apple will launch a large (around 12-inch) iPad in the second half of 2014, with Quanta Computer responsible for OEM production.
    Mar 26 10:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jim Cramer Sells Linn Energy, So You Can Be Sure I Am Going To Buy [View article]
    Just do a search of "Jim Cramer's Charitable Trust Performance Returns by Year" and find Cramer's site comes on top but doesn't give the data.

You KNOW he would give the data if Cramer beat SPY, the exchange traded fund for the S&P500 I've recommended for free here http://bit.ly/18Mo2VJ for years.
    Mar 16 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The $1 Million Perpetual Income Portfolio: ETF Edition [View article]
    Very interesting article. Is 0.33% a weighted average expense ratio for your portfolio?

I think your portfolio may under perform what I recommend which is a much smaller basket of LOW COST index funds that has a small amount in emerging markets. The portfolios I recommend have average weighted expense ratios of 0.04% and 0.07% for core conservative and core aggressive, respectively.

I recommend taking your distributions for the year (3 to 4%, depending on life expectancy) at the start of the year when you rebalance the core portfolio back to my target asset allocation. You can move the distribution into an FDIC savings account that is safe and earns a decent rate (CIT Bank currently pays 0.95% http://bit.ly/1hoTM3n ) as you take the money out over the year.

I also split the US market into large cap (see my SPY articles http://bit.ly/18Mo2VJ ) and small cap with the extended market fund/ETF. By having fewer ETFs or using index funds, it lowers transaction expenses. During the year, I usually let the funds reinvest dividends so there is no cost but you could let those accumulate to take a smaller draw-down with the annual rebalancing.

With your 19 funds to rebalance once a year, you'll add significant costs unless the portfolio is very, very large.

Finally, I think having some growth with my funds/ETFs in international , small cap US and Emerging markets will have higher volatility but higher overall returns so the portfolio may have a better chance of lasting a 30year lifetime with a 4% draw-down rate.

Have you done a hypothetical analysis of how this fund would have done over the past 10 or 15 years? If so, I can exchange data with you via email (or check my web site) to see how it compares to my two recommended core funds. Your higher REIT allocation may give it better past performance but that could end since we've had a long period of investors chasing high dividends and avoiding "risky growth" stocks. The market has a habit of regressing to the mean.

One last difference, unlike you, I love the taste of my own cooking and own everything I recommend.

Thanks again for a thought provoking article.
    Mar 16 11:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Musk's Tesla hiring Ghosn's chief spokesman amid global push
    03/13/2014 06:23:56 AM PDT
    Tesla Motors, preparing to sell electric cars in China as it fights auto dealers in the U.S., is hiring a veteran of Carlos Ghosn's Renault-Nissan Motor alliance to manage its marketing and message.
    Mar 13 12:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Should Pay Much More Than $28 To Buy Out Finisar [View article]
    "Cisco is not buying Finisar"

OFC 2014 Reporter's Notebook - Day 2
    By Stephen Hardy

Buzzing from the sugar rush generated by way too much birthday cake on top of Italian food, I think I'll start off by quashing a rumor that clearly was too juicy (and, let's face it, illogical) to be true. Cisco is not buying Finisar, or at least so says Finisar Executive Chairman Jerry Rawls. You can hear a few choice words on this subject and others from Jerry when we post the video interview I shot with him today. This will happen "soon," I'm assured.
    Mar 13 12:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Should Pay Much More Than $28 To Buy Out Finisar [View article]
    "HBO GO" crashed last night during streaming of the 'True Detective' finale. (It was great, I watched the finale using my DVR and satellite TV.

Story http://usat.ly/1dInWzH

This crash due to "demand" is great news for Finisar and any other "infrastructure" plays.
    Mar 10 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment