Kofi Bofah

View Kofi Bofah's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAPL, AMZN, BBY, C, FB, GE, GEX, GM, GRPN, LDK, MO, NKE, NOK, P, SIRI, SPY, USO, VLO, WB, XOM, YELP
  • China Mobile Deal Will Be Big For Apple, But Not That Big [View article]
    Ha Ha. I commend you on your patience for going back and forth with these people. I barely read comments, but will reply to direct messages. I don't want these anonymous people to influence my style. There is a lot of bashing on S.A. I don't necessarily understand it. There is more than one way to skin a cat. You are much better than I am for debating with these people. I would love to go back and forth with them -- but I don't want to risk a ban engaging with some Anonymous Internet Tough Guy. Anyway, I will catch you around...
    Dec 10 04:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Mobile Deal Will Be Big For Apple, But Not That Big [View article]
    Michael Blair appears to be my alter-ego on this website. And we may even be EXACT OPPOSITES in "real life." I think he is a nice guy. But, for some odd reason, we have been on opposing sides of practically every topic on S.A.
    Dec 10 03:42 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nike Will Win Over And Sign Andrew Wiggins [View article]
    This was just a fun article for me to write. I was sitting up here watching YouTube college basketball clips. I have been long NKE for several years. I thought -- why not write an article?

My argument is that, I think NKE and Adidas may be willing to take the risk of losing a few million dollars per year, based on Wiggins' potential. At best, he may be Tracy McGrady. At worst, he may be a slasher, in the mold of Rudy Gay / Cedric Ceballos. It was hard for me to get into all of that -- because I wrote a LeBron James article last year and the editors told me to cut out the sports analysis -- and narrow the content down to the financials.

If Wiggins were to work on his game and emerge as a perennial All-Star in a Big City, then NKE would make money on the deal. If Wiggins were to be a relative bust, then NKE would lose a few million dollars each season on the deal. And by 'bust,' I mean that the kid is a serviceable starter. It would still be hard for me to describe him as an outright bust because The Web 2.0 Era may have overhyped him.

Remember Harrison Barnes?
    Dec 9 01:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Investors : Web 2.0, Apple, Pandora, And The Boogeyman Should Not Scare You [View article]
    I love this. I will see you all around.
    Sep 28 07:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria: The New 10-Year Treasury Note [View article]
    So, basically, what some people are saying, is that this stock is going to keep rolling, if the corporation can avoid a fatal lawsuit. I have been long for some time, but I am worried that a spike in interest rates would have MO shares take a hit.

I don't think that either of us needs to worry about that, for the time being, though. The Fed is talking about even more stimulus. It will be interesting to see what happens to MO, if / when the economy recovers. And if the economy recovers, then other parts of our business / investment portfolios should be doing well, anyway.
    Jun 6 06:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Nook No Threat For Apple iPad [View article]
    This article touches on how MSFT "killed" its Courier Tablet:

There is something going on at MSFT -- that is hurting the company's ability to redefine itself and innovate.
    May 8 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Nook No Threat For Apple iPad [View article]
    We will see what happens. Microsoft is a great company - and maybe I should have toned this article down a bit. I did not mean to come off as angry - or wildly biased. Microsoft has done so much to Revolutionize this World - that I will always respect that company.

I do think that MSFT and AAPL will always be linked. I see the two companies as a Venn Diagram, where the two share some things in common, but have completely divergent cultures.

The choice to invest in either company, is more so a function of your personality and your investment strategy. Neither way is necessarily "right" or "wrong."

At these levels, I see Microsoft as more of a conservative position. The corporation will always rake in cash, but can it grow earnings? If MSFT cannot grow earnings significantly over the long term - then it will trade like a utility. The stock will just sit there and kick out dividends. I think if investors buy Microsoft as a growth story - than they will be disappointed. If investors buy into MSFT, as a stable play, than they will be happy.

I am saying these things because MSFT has had a lot of ideas - that were unceremoniously killed over the years. There is something going on in the culture over there - that is hurting innovation. Without innovation, it is hard to grow profits. If MSFT is just running after market leaders - then their sales will be commoditized.

On the other hand, if AAPL is just a fad, then its shares will collapse. If AAPL can continue to roll out innovation, then its shares will outperform tremendously. Although AAPL does have a stockpile of cash, I still see it more so as a higher risk / higher reward position. If AAPL loses its "halo effect," for any reason, these gaudy profit margins will disappear.

I am still writing and learning. I will take all of you all's concerns into consideration, as I improve (hopefully).
    May 8 03:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook IPO Analysis: Zuckerberg Shoots Self In Foot [View article]
    Are you Not Entertained?
    May 8 11:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia Is No Apple iPhone Killer [View article]
    Um, what?

The chart accounts for splits.
    May 2 10:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia Is No Apple iPhone Killer [View article]
    Ha! I usually just write whatever pops into my head. I don't know what it is - but my articles always seem to degenerate into train wrecks.

It's almost like being a "shock" jock.

This place is like Sports Talk radio.

It's like going up on ESPN and saying ANYTHING about LeBron James or Tim Tebow - and people are going to be IRATE.

Why are people so mad?

Let's all relax.

Handshakes and Hugs.
    May 2 07:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia Is No Apple iPhone Killer [View article]
    I never thought that people could be so passionate about their phones. This thing is going to turn into a review of phones - at this point. I plan on staying with the iPhone. Of course, I am biased.

No, I do not like Siri.

What's the point?

Whenever one of my friends tries to use Siri - I want to bash them over the head - with their own phone.
    May 2 06:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia Is No Apple iPhone Killer [View article]
    Yes, and we all must remain vigilant as we monitor this sector.

Disclosure: I have been long Nike for years.

I never bought into Tommy Hilfiger.

Yes, Woz gushed all over this phone. He then came out later and said that the iPhone is still his favorite. Cynics will say "Of course it is his favorite (yeah, right)!"

I really think that any corporation that wants to outflank AAPL, will either need to win a popularity contest or concede defeat. Maybe, Redmond should just let AAPL have all the hipsters and celebrities, while MSFT-NOK target the practical crowd. Yes, I know that this sounds dumb. But, this is the world that we live in.

People do not behave rationally.

At this point, we can only speculate.

But, I sense that the Lumia and the iPhone aren't necessarily even after the same customer.
    May 2 05:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia Is No Apple iPhone Killer [View article]
    MSFT = APA?
    May 2 05:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia Is No Apple iPhone Killer [View article]
    Trust me. I find the hecklers hilarious. I mean, they are the ones up here reading - and taking shots at me. They may not agree with what I am saying - but at least they are entertained. At least there is dialogue. Besides that, I know who I am. People are nice and genuinely friendly to me in "real life" - once they get to know me. And when they don't know me - they are usually scared stiff - because I am not exactly a small guy. I am used to disarming people with humor - so they don't assume that I am some thug who will whip their [butt] for no reason.

That aside, I do agree with what you are saying. I just think that MSFT-NOK are late to the party. And people are now happily in pocket - within Apple's ecosystem. And MSFT has this same pattern: they get left behind and then they throw cash at whatever is "hot." MSFT is set to do the same thing with this whole Nook partnership, also.

MSFT is just mining for cash on the floor of Wall Street. They are like a technical version of Apache. Apache stock, at least, has done something over the past decade.
    May 2 05:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia Is No Apple iPhone Killer [View article]
    The Pro Lumia crowd confirm the irony that is Microsoft.

Microsoft is functionally boring.

It's like the company and its supporters cannot wrap their heads around the idea of "popular culture." Yes, people will do things, throughout eternity, simply to get with the "in" crowd. No, their decision making does not always make sense. There are people in this world - who own every Michael Jordan shoe ever made. Die Hard Nike "fan-boys," who scoff at the idea of Reebok.

Brand Loyalty, gentlemen.

And maybe MSFT will always be attractive to technical types, while AAPL is more so attractive to creative types.
    May 2 05:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment