Kofi Bofah

View Kofi Bofah's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAPL, AMZN, BBY, C, FB, GE, GEX, GM, GRPN, LDK, MO, NKE, NOK, P, SIRI, SPY, USO, VLO, WB, XOM, YELP
  • When Stocks Go to Zero [View article]
    Um er ah.

Your title brings me to believe that we will be living in huts shortly.
    Nov 21 03:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China: The One Global Market with Gains Behind the Gloom [View article]
    Ha!

Do you rally want to quote 'growth' statistics coming out of Beijing?

Beijing presented 'growth' rates of 9% +/- tenths of a percent for about twenty three straight quarters [hyperbole, yes]. EX: Q1 9%, Q2 9.1%, Q3 8.9%, Q4 9%, Q1 9.1%.

Clearly, this is an impossibility. I would argue that the numbers have been massaged.

I am FAR from a conspiracy theorist.
    Nov 21 01:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boom Time Era McCarthyism [View article]
    R. Jensen: McCarthy was exposed as a fraud in the Army-McCarthy hearings and lost all credibility at that point.

Jim Carey: I agree with your points. The U.S. is the lone Western Power with no organized socialist party. That movement will not take place here. My argument was to expose the preposterous claims of those labeling Obama a socialist.

I am glad that you said 'such as Paulson.'

Paulson will be shown the door shortly.
    Nov 21 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boom Time Era McCarthyism [View article]
    Hand,
    What equities to buy?

I won't use this article to suggest what to buy.

Everything is cheap right now. That is, any corporation that is not going to dissolve into bankruptcy.
    Nov 21 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Paulson's Message to Detroit: Drop Dead [View article]
    Toyota just announced they will be cutting production today. I don't think the foreign automakers will pick up all of the slack.

Yes, Detroit has destroyed its own self. But, the situation is even more dire now because people that actually WANT to buy cars cannot get financing. The lending units of the Big Three are shackled, unable to access credit markets for short-term financing in order to function efficiently.

Who in their right mind would loan to these guys?

The U.S. Government is the backstop. The only institution with the cash, credit, and willpower to rescue Detroit.

Chrysler is private, and there is speculation that they will 'merge' with GM.

What do you think would happen to the Midwest without the auto industry? The Rust Belt would be the new Appalachia - without the scenery.

You all bring up many good points that I indeed agree with. But, I think that many are underestimating the fallout from the collapse of the Detroit.
    Nov 19 01:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Reconsideration: Why Share Buybacks Are Pointless [View article]
    As an Exxon shareholder - I felt that the money would have been better put to use hiking the dividend, and actually you know, exploring for oil - than buying back shares at inflated prices.

Buybacks should only be used when the stock is cheap.
    Nov 19 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: Genuine Risk of Collapse? [View article]
    Jack Welch was either very good, or very lucky.

Remember when GE was the 'Goldman' of industrial management. GE was perceived as a breeding ground for top managers.

Those days appear finished (for now).

McNerney, Nardelli, Immelt were all gunning for the top post.

McNerney with 3M and Boeing has outpaced the group.
    Nov 18 05:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pickens Plan Changes Its Strategy [View article]
    Gordon,

LNG explosion in Cleveland?

Isn't Cleveland the same place where the river caught on fire?

I wouldn't really cite Cleveland as a terribly good example here.
    Nov 18 05:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Pickens Plan Changes Its Strategy [View article]
    Alternative energy investment will be crippled now.

The sector could not compete with oil at $150 - it is now doomed with oil at $50-$60.
    Nov 18 05:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Let GM Fail [View article]
    Show us some numbers.

How many jobs will be lost? Not just from GM, but from suppliers, etc?

You are writing as if the lost jobs will automatically be replaced by foreign automakers.

Big Three production facilities are typically located in the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana/... Rust Belt. Japanese and German automakers typically locate manufacturing operations in the Deep South.

Obviously, the collapse of the Big Three would be a death blow to the Midwest. Show us some numbers that prove that the U.S. can function as normal with a Heartland that is beyond life support.
    Nov 18 05:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cars and Metal, Metal and Cars [View article]
    I remember I posted an article in here on Alcoa, titled. <A HREF="seekingalpha.com/artic..."Dead Money Personified. A few of the individuals that made comments thought that I had lost my marbles.

Fast forward to today.

AA has gotten throttled since my write up.

I wonder whatever happened to those guys.

(crickets chirping in background)

onyxinvestments.blogsp...

The commodities boom is dead.
    Nov 18 04:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Throwing in the Towel on This Market? [View article]
    Alan? Alan Greenspan?

Is that you?

October 10th was when investors threw in the towel.
    Nov 18 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: Genuine Risk of Collapse? [View article]
    GE? Collapse?

Nov 18 11:41 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'The Shallowest Generation': A Rebuttal [View article]
    Yup, this looks like a Baby Boom vs. Gen. X battle. I don't think that any one group can be blamed; capitalism is boom and bust. There will be several more busts through the end of time. The End.
    Nov 9 03:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Shallowest Generation [View article]
    Such a scathing critique.

I think that you actually penned that the government bureaucracy contributes nothing?

Excellent article though. Most of your points are well-documented; but I would not reason that the fall of America has begun. The U.S. is extraordinarily resilient.
    Nov 9 02:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment