Kraken

View Kraken's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Get A 12% Yield On Alcatel-Lucent's Preferred [View article]
    Yes the preferreds are convertible, but only at the option of the holder. So investors do not need to convert if they don't want.
    Jun 21 09:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get A 12% Yield On Alcatel-Lucent's Preferred [View article]
    Sorry, I meant to say the common's dividend was cut in 2007. You are right, LUTHP hasn't cut its dividend. Thanks for bringing that to light.
    Jun 20 10:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get A 12% Yield On Alcatel-Lucent's Preferred [View article]
    The symbol is LUTHP, its on the OTC market.

Jun 20 07:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia is Worth Less Than $2 On Balance Sheet Projections [View article]
    I linked the the moodys downgrade article, if you search the document, it refers to the inventory buildup. In regards to inventory, I was referring to the entire inventory not just Lumia 900. I was saying that even with Lumia 900s stellar sales, the inventory stay relatively flat.
    Jun 20 06:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia is Worth Less Than $2 On Balance Sheet Projections [View article]
    MJK,

Exactly. Many individuals cite cash in terms of it belonging to shareholders, while that may be true to a certain extent, management ultimately decides how to use that cash. Management of different companies are known to always try different things before even considering liquidation.
    Jun 20 04:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get A 12% Yield On Alcatel-Lucent's Preferred [View article]
    Thanks for reading. Yes I have been buying several preferreds lately. However, none of them have the discount that ALU's preferred has.
    Jun 20 04:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen's Poor Acquisition A Concern For Shareholders [View article]
    Paul,

You are right in regards to WAG drawing in customers through their Rx business. This is a common business model for pharmacy companies. However, lets focus on Europe. What we all need to understand is that even if Europe weathers a recession, the EU will still take some time to recover. Lets compare it to the U.S. recovery, even though its been three years since the bottom of the market, Americans are still not back to pre-recession spending levels, consumer confidence is still low. Now if we look back at Europe, more than likely Greece will default or be kicked out of the EU. Even with the proposed spending cuts and bailout efforts, it will not just be a couple of years before Greece recovers it could easily take a decade. The EU is in a tight spot because they have to bailout these countries. Lets move away from the economic analysis and go back to Walgreens. If consumer confidence stalls in the EU, Walgreen's consumer segment will take a hit. Like you mention, these are higher margin areas for them. Its not a good sign for them when they suffer in this segment.

I would be more willing to accept Walgreen's acquisition even if they paid a reasonable price, but the thing is they didn't. They paid 10-11x ebitda just to get exposure to Europe, which is falling off a fiscal cliff. I definitely agree that share buy backs are not a good way to go either since they are just a short term fix.
    Jun 20 02:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia is Worth Less Than $2 On Balance Sheet Projections [View article]
    You are right, but I bring up market share for a reason. When Nokia had massive market share, many consumers were using its phones. It had patents on technology that was deemed valuable due to the user base. Even Apple wanted a piece of that. So they payed royalties for access to those patents. However, now that Nokia has seen market share fall, Apple has been able to create its own technology patents that put the company ahead. Do I see all of Nokia's patents dying? No. I am sure a few good ones will be nice revenue generators, but the majority that were linked to Nokia phones will slowly fall apart.
    Jun 19 10:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia is Worth Less Than $2 On Balance Sheet Projections [View article]
    I believe the fall in intangibles is due to the decline in their brand name and trademarks. As Nokia becomes less profitable and market share falls, the brand power of the company will fall as well. This would be listed under intangibles. Hope that helps.
    Jun 19 10:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • YPF Still In A Downward Spiral Even With Carlos Slim's 8.4% Purchase [View article]
    Stocknerd,

Yup thats what I am implying. Its possible this could be a political move by Slim. Last I heard, he was trying to make a move into telecom there.
    Jun 19 10:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen's Poor Acquisition A Concern For Shareholders [View article]
    Jeremy,

Spot on. I still like Walgreen as a company, but after this acquisition I am not sure how reliable management is. They overpaid to get exposure to Europe. This is somewhat confusing. The only good thing from the announcement was the increase in the dividend.
    Jun 19 10:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Duke Energy: A Second Income Stream With An Extra Yield Of 10.68%, Or A Lower Entry Price [View article]
    There is one major problem with this article. The 10% yield is a year and a half out. So for the amount of time you wait, the yield is actually pretty low. Also its not double the current 4.3% yield. The 4.3% yield is annual, the 10% is not. To be honest, I can grab more yield in that amount of time. Just make you clarify that the 10% is not annual. It kind of misleads investors. Good article though.
    Jun 19 01:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen's Poor Acquisition A Concern For Shareholders [View article]
    I like Walgreens as a company. However, their acquisition was too expensive. I wouldn't have cared if they paid a reasonable price. Also, in regards to forward looking for Europe. I do expect Europe to survive, but that doesn't mean consumers will start spending more. Spending cuts will remain for several years.
    Jun 19 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cliffs Natural Worth $75 A Share Even With Production Cuts [View article]
    Dave,

I wanted to bring to light Cliff's thermal coal production. Thermal coal has had a worse year than its other lines. This is why I chose to focus on that.
    Jun 19 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cliffs Natural Worth $75 A Share Even With Production Cuts [View article]
    SA is made up of different writers with different opinions.
    Jun 19 11:20 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment