Kraken

View Kraken's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Seaspan: An 8.3% Yield For Income Investors [View article]
    I still like TOO-A and am still holding. Most preferreds declined in value when Bernanke mentioned tapering, and it had nothing to do with the underlying company. Teekay is still intact. The common just saw a recent dividend increase. In addition, they issued a private placement in December to raise more capital. I still like the preferred, but it may fall farther and I recommend staggered purchases instead of lump sums. As far as the other new shipping preferreds, I am still finishing up my due diligence on them before I write about them. The one thing I will mention is that though they are all in the same industry, some have managed themselves much better. The perceived risk of the underlying company usually determines the coupon rate the market is trying to price it at.
    Feb 13, 2014. 02:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook soars as sell-side hikes across the board [View news story]
    To put things in perspective, FB's market cap is near that of Coke and has surpassed Visa.
    Jan 30, 2014. 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get A Safe 5% Return In 9 Months [View article]
    Your right, a company like this doesn't have much volume on the bonds. If the bonds fall again, take the opportunity. I believe anything over 3% in 9 months is worth parking your money in here. Its almost like a safe CD with a much higher return.
    Jan 30, 2014. 09:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty Properties Series F Preferred: A New 7.75% Yield Paying Monthly [View article]
    Been getting alot of messages regarding ARCP common's dividend increase. Given the common has a a yield above 7%, I believe the reward has somewhat declined for the preferred. The market should push the preferreds lower in order to justify some a higher yield for less upside. I am in the process of writing a follow up article on this. Stay tuned.
    Jan 28, 2014. 01:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heard during Procter & Gamble's earnings call [View news story]
    I guess Icahn will single handedly push diaper demand in Q1 then.
    Jan 25, 2014. 12:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I never advise reinvesting dividends in the same preferred. Stay diversified. The great part about preferreds is that you can buy small increments and collect a stream of distributions through multiple securities.
    Jan 23, 2014. 08:06 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well Said. One of the reasons I love preferreds is because of that safety net. As long as your purchase a preferred with a good underlying company, you will continue to collect distributions.
    Jan 22, 2014. 01:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Capital One Living Up To Its Name [View article]
    This. Citi and Capital One had no choice as this regulation was meant to prevent risk. Also Rudester, why does it matter if you pay off your CCs in advance anyways? Its not like they will charge you unless you miss a payment.
    Jan 17, 2014. 07:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make 4% On SodaStream's Fall [View article]
    Why buy a position in the first place? You'd be using more capital and you run the risk of the stock declining.
    Jan 15, 2014. 10:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MTY Food Group Inc. - A Restaurant Stock For The Wallet [View article]
    Awesome article, but I believe all the growth will be in Canada and any U.S. expansion would be a disaster. The U.S. is the most competitive fast food market in the world. These names are never even heard of here. Imagine Mr. Sub going up against Subway or Taco Time against Taco Bell. I really think the U.S. growth factor is limited. I like the company, I just hope the stock isn't pricing in U.S. growth.
    Dec 18, 2013. 09:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A 6.9% Yield That Rises With Rates [View article]
    Thats assuming that LIBOR is less than 4% a decade from now. That's a risk associated with it. In regards to MS calling it, that is even better because the investors get their cash back and can rotate it into other securities. There are always risks associated with any security. Each individual has a different risk profile.
    Dec 18, 2013. 09:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A 6.9% Yield That Rises With Rates [View article]
    I think you missed the part where I mention investors must get comfortable with a 6.8% yield. As for waiting for rates to go up, its basically the time value of money. Everyday your dollar is not invested, is a loss of return
    Dec 18, 2013. 12:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A 6.9% Yield That Rises With Rates [View article]
    Good point about taxes and yield. Many investors forget to factor in taxes. Regarding LIBOR rates, I can't imagine rates would be still so low a decade from now. The Fed already has plans to cut down on bond buybacks. LIBOR should be atleast 4%-6%, but then again I'm not an economist.
    Dec 17, 2013. 09:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A 6.9% Yield That Rises With Rates [View article]
    You can always sell and given that this is backed by a major institution, liquidity will always exist. However, in the case of a rising rate environment, preferreds usually fall in value due to their bondlike qualities. As Vern mentions, price has to hold as well, unless your comfortable selling for a loss.
    Dec 17, 2013. 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ruby Tuesday: A 9% Yield, What Should Investors Know? [View article]
    I agree. Its really going to come down to how they can improve the menu. As far as share price goes, I would never touch it. The market cap is $400 million+ for a company losing millions in free cash flow. The company might breakeven or turn a minimal profit. Only the bonds would be good value if they dip into the low to mid 80s.
    Dec 7, 2013. 05:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment