Kurtis Hemmerling

View Kurtis Hemmerling's Comments BY TICKER:

• World Acceptance Stock Buyback: A Short Opportunity [View article]
    Thanks for the article. The share buyback of Apple is in the same boat - it is merely a vehicle to take $10 billion of cash and funnel it out of the company into employee bonuses and hide dilution. But equity is being removed and buybacks will drive prices up and away from fundamentals. Thankfully Apple is such a great company in every other way that they can handle this - other companies cannot.

What I am about to say is totally unprofessional but I felt as if your eyes were staring right through the computer screen at me. Kinda scared me a little. If you were trying to reach out and grab someone with that pic - I tip my hat to you - well done.
    Mar 21, 2012. 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Stocks At 52 Week Highs - Only 1 Value Buy [View article]
    You are welcome to use your valuation of two. Peter Lynch suggests that PE and growth rate should be similar. CMG valuations are far too high for me to recommend. You are welcome to post a valuation-based rebuttal if you so choose.
    Mar 20, 2012. 01:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Market Risk Rises To Historical Extreme [View article]
    What very specific criteria is your different trend scores built on? The links ask for $29 bucks to get more information. Its hard to make a comment on a chart without knowing what it is telling me.
    Mar 20, 2012. 11:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Disney (DIS) says it will take a $200M write-down related to the mega-flop John Carter, worse than the $120M-$160M forecast by analysts. The loss will result in Disney's studio division reporting an operating loss of $80M-$120M in the March quarter, compared with a $77M operating profit in the December quarter. Disney hopes The Avengers and Pixar's Brave will give its studio ops a lift later this year.  [View news story]
    Ishtar did terrible and I actually found it quite funny in a quirky sort of way.

"If you admit you can play the accordion, no one will hire you in a rock and roll band."
    Mar 19, 2012. 07:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Stocks At 52-Week Lows That Are Diamonds In The Rough [View article]
    I was using Yahoos data on this page.
    Mar 15, 2012. 09:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Little-Known Gold Stock Could Easily Double In 2012 [View article]
    Your last calculation looks like a fine estimate too. But if startup costs come from equity dilution and share pool goes up by 150 million (for a total of 200 million outstanding), based on current prices that works out to just over $6 per share.

Perhaps investors are waiting for that announcement before running prices up? It shouldn't really matter since the company needs to sell fewer shares at higher prices if it did prematurely go and more shares at lower prices.
    Mar 15, 2012. 02:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Little-Known Gold Stock Could Easily Double In 2012 [View article]
    I was using a mix of averages/maximums/esti... etc. based on the some of the depths on their report (http://bit.ly/zt1i8x) plus the possibility of more extensions.
    Mar 14, 2012. 03:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Myths About Investing In Africa [View article]
    Good article. I too wrote a piece last year that tallked about how investors view Africa as one giant country.
    If someone lumped Mexico and Canada together I would point out a few differences for sure. Some good gold plays in Africa right now.
    Mar 14, 2012. 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Bearish Leveraged ETF Best Left To Short-Term Traders [View article]
    In a recent SA article http://tinyurl.com/82z... I discuss (at the bottom) how to take advantage of the negative compounding effects of leveraged funds. Simultaneously short both a bull and bear leveraged fund to turn the long-term negative effects into a positive one. Use equal dollar amounts in each fund and rebalance monthly.
    Mar 14, 2012. 09:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Defensive Dividend Strategy That Still Beats The Market [View article]
    Thanks for response. Definitely look into each of these before buying. For instance...

PEG - sales peaked in 2007/08 with current sales down but I really like what they have done with net income over the past decade and the yield based on payout is strong. Share prices have been flat over past 5 years though. This stock moves in slow-motion and you'll have many months exit if things turn.

NEC... do you mean NEE or NWE? Negative sales and eps for trailing 12 months, or yoy quarters or 2011 vs 2010? I'm not seeing the numbers you are referring to at a quick glance.

EXC is one I've written about earlier as wanting to accumulate a lower levels. My sweet spot would be $30 but I think regular buys throughout the year will give you an OK average price.

Don't get me wrong, I think looking at pros and cons of these stocks are key and appreciate your insightful posting.
    Mar 14, 2012. 09:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Defensive Dividend Strategy That Still Beats The Market [View article]
    I'm happy with a long-term 15% total return even if interest rates do rise. But keep in mind that pipeline MLPs are allow rate hikes and if interest rates go up with inflation, so will the other utilities.

You bring up a good point on which the right strategy is for this decade. I see low growth as making this type of strategy most relevant but others will see it differently.
    Mar 14, 2012. 06:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Defensive Dividend Strategy That Still Beats The Market [View article]
    Worth someone looking into. I don't smoke and thus do not promote tobacco companies. My own ethical investing belief system. They may very well have excellent returns for investors though.
    Mar 12, 2012. 01:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Makes Covered Call ETFs So Lackluster? [View article]
    sorry yes you are correct but I also didn't mention margin. You have differing margin requirements depending on double or triple leverage and if you go long or short. Expect 90% margin req when shorting triple leveraged funds. Dec 2009 lowered the profit of this but still a good trading idea.
    Mar 11, 2012. 06:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Makes Covered Call ETFs So Lackluster? [View article]
    This is the data that I got - unless it is wrong you should have no problem short selling bull or bear ETFs.

UPRO — Short Interest
    Shares Short 535,600
    Chg. from Last Month -22,400
    Shares Outstanding 3,500,000
    % of Shares Short 15.30%
    Days to Cover 0.2

SPXU — Short Interest
    Shares Short 1,806,600
    Chg. from Last Month -845,700
    Shares Outstanding 56,650,000
    % of Shares Short 3.19%
    Days to Cover 0.2
    Mar 11, 2012. 11:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Deep Value Dividend Stocks To Buy, 1 To Sell [View article]
    Thanks for your viewpoint. Anytime a company is paying out a dividend with one hand and creating more shares with the other - they are essentially paying me the proceeds of dilution regardless if they say 'well your dividend came from this pile of cash and we needed to create this other pile for CAPEX...'. If you don't have enough cash to pay your bills and expand, don't pay a dividend on the back of shareholder dilution. Maybe that will change going forward but all I have is a past track record of managements policy to determine if this is a dividend stock I want to own.... and I don't.

I never presume management smart unless they prove it first. They went with the 'same old same old' of paying dividends when clearly they should have cut it altogether for the time being. They have set their dividends at an unsustainable level (and I'm not talking relative yield since price is set by investors). Did you see the dividend cuts since 2006? If they have enough cash to pay the dividends - why the continual share dilution?
    Mar 10, 2012. 04:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment