Kyle Spencer

View Kyle Spencer's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Cook takes stage at iPad event; 1M apps in App Store [View news story]
    The knee-jerk reaction is going to be sell the news here. Resist the temptation. Apple is making too many of the right moves not to kill it at Christmas.
    Oct 22 01:41 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Catalysts That Are Paving The Way For Apple $700 [View article]
    Good points all, and I don't discount the potential impact of iTV. Right now, Apple appears to be either sitting on the core patents until release just like they did with biometrics. I have, however, been able to access the European-granted patents surrounding the likely composition of the TV. Evidently, it employs a fused glass device housing. see:
    Oct 18 10:39 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boehner ties budget, debt cap legislation to cutting deficit [View news story]
    You have to run deficits if your unit of account is the world's reserve currency.
    Oct 7 07:21 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 7 Reasons Why People Hate QE [View article]
    Eric,

Great article. I think you underestimate how many investors "want to see the market crash so that they can feast on the carnage." I can think of a number of groups (goldbugs, short sellers, black swan investors, CDS owners, et cet.) that are praying for PRECISELY that outcome. (I wouldn't mind a 10% dip myself.) ;-)
    May 25 02:08 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More from Tepper: "We're going to get this hyper-drive market," unless the Fed starts tapering its purchases, he says (referencing 1999), adding the June meeting wouldn't be a bad time to get started. He pulls out this chart from a recent FRBNY report, showing stocks remain cheap - the equity premium to bonds is as high as it's been in the last 50 years. [View news story]
    "Tool" would be the scientifically accurate definition.
    May 14 10:30 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Apple Worth More Dead Than Alive? [View article]
    You're welcome. Thanks for actually reading it.
    May 3 07:15 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Charting The Carnage In The Gold, Silver And Mining Space [View article]
    Great call, George.
    Apr 15 12:08 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Fed Data: Economy Drowning In Federal Debt [View article]
    Frankly, my dear, I don't think businesses give a damn about the size of the Fed's balance sheet when they make hiring decisions.
    Mar 11 08:44 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Japan Does The Full Ponzi [View article]
    The real issue at play here is "Krugmania" vs. "Mauldinomics." If Paul Krugman is right, then Japan should be on the way to digging its way out. Cue John Mauldin:

"Conveniently, Japan is getting ready to conduct a massive experiment based on Krugman's ideas. While Krugman has only his reputation on the line, there are 127 million Japanese who have real skin in the game. If Krugman does not think that monetization is appropriate, he should publicly say so now. No Monday-morning quarterbacking allowed. And since I am in Spain tonight, I request that he show some huevos. Go explicitly on the record....If the Japanese strategy (as I think I understand it) is successful, then I will have to lay my right hand on a copy of the General Theory and convert to the gospel according to John Maynard Keynes, as interpreted by his disciple Paul Krugman. If the facts change then I suppose I must change, too. But the jury is out on this one. The world will be watching."

Not that I would expect either side to admit that they're wrong, no matter what happens to Japan. It's a nice world to fantasize about though, don't you think?
    Feb 12 06:52 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Attorney General Holder puts a $5B-plus target on how much S&P (MHP -6.5%) defrauded investors through faulty ratings on MBS, and says the DOJ is going after all of it. "S&P misled investors ... causing them to lose billions of dollars." S&P alone? (earlier: Even $3B seems far too high) [View news story]
    Ah, revenge. A dish best served cold.

On a side note, we now have the sticker price for downgrading U.S. sovereign debt: $5 billion.
    Feb 5 12:46 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Breakout In Process, Thanks To Germany [View article]
    The Bundesbank has been fighting the suggestion of gold repatriation tooth and nail for years. It will also, apparently, take 7 years to complete the repatriation. I'm not sure a withdrawal over a 7 year period will a catalyst for short term action on GLD. http://bit.ly/WbJg5e
    Jan 17 06:38 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will 2013 Be The Year That Gold Dies? [View article]
    Nice article! I can see you haven't been flamed by the SA gold bug crowd yet. Don't worry, they'll get around to you. ;-)
    Dec 31 10:59 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prepare To Short Gold [View article]
    Self-fulfilling prophecies have a way of collapsing just when it hurts the most.
    Dec 6 08:45 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fiscal Baby Steps Aren't Worth The Angst [View article]
    Because grandma votes in mid-term elections.
    Dec 4 10:36 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hewlett-Packard: After The Autonomy Debacle, Is There Value Left In The Stock? [View article]
    It's easy to infer incompetency on the part of HP due to past debacles, but from what I understand of the sale, Autonomy was selling low margin products in bulk and writing the revenue down as high margin sales. If I sold you hardware at just above cost, then reported those low margin hardware sales as high margin software sales, then choked off tech support for the hardware I just sold in order to increase my lousy profit margins, then flipped the "booming" software segment off to some unsuspecting purchaser, that would be fraud.
    Nov 21 02:18 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment