Kyle Spencer

View Kyle Spencer's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    "It's baffling why Apple is the target of these articles."

Because Apple's overseas cash hoard now accounts for nearly 10% of all corporate cash held by non-financial companies.
    Jun 23 01:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    I realize that it's more complex than that and no, I'm not a tax lawyer. My point isn't that I know how it will end, my point is that the odds that it will end negatively are not being priced in at all.
    Jun 23 01:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    Who hates the players?
    Jun 23 01:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    The author is bullish on Apple and cognizant that Europe is shaking Silicon Valley down.
    Jun 23 01:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    Thanks, Michael. As always, great to hear from you. ;-)
    Jun 23 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    I meant it technically, but I suppose "exploitation" is a rather loaded term. Feel free to replace "systematic exploitation" with "highly efficient utilization".
    Jun 23 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    If Apple hired Irish, I'd agree with you, but Ireland isn't getting Apple's action. Ireland's tax law is being overcome almost entirely by it's lack of withholding tax on inter-EU transfers. 0.05% is nothing.
    Jun 23 12:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    I'm aware of how long Apple has had its Irish arrangements in place (late 1980s) and that the model is widely used by MNCs. I said as much in the article. I never said that Apple violated any tax laws. I said paying zero taxes to foreign governments that are sporting deep double digit unemployment is too clever by half, because it is. That's not a moral or legal judgement, it's a simple observation about the optics of the situation, one that 89% of large companies evidently agree with.

I'm also aware that "Ireland and a number of other countries would have to change their tax laws individually" and that this would result in a loss of economic advantage to some EU member states, et cet. Nothing in the article I wrote suggests that it could be any other way.

However, to argue that the good times will always last because its been that way since the 80s is to ignore a) the growing wealth of Silicon Valley and the associated political consequences of conspicuous tax avoidance b) both the rather dire nature of Europe's present finances and v) the sky high tax regimes that preceded the 80s. What you're saying is, in effect: "Don't worry, we've got this." Do you?
    Jun 23 12:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    I'm hardly an Apple basher.
    Jun 23 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    Thank for the comment. I agree that it will be a staggered roll-out, but I'm referring to the timetable for headline risk, not full implementation.
    Jun 23 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Bears Throw In The Towel [View article]
    @Mr. Blair,

You may rest assured that I shall respond to your scurrilous accusations regarding the historical inevitably of the commodization cycle in my next article. :)
    Dec 17 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Italian Tax Woes Are Just The Tip Of The Iceberg [View article]
    Thanks, Vince!
    Nov 18 07:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Italian Tax Woes Are Just The Tip Of The Iceberg [View article]
    Well, originally the title was "Apple's Italian Woes Are Just The Tip of the Iceberg for Multinationals in Europe", but I thought it a bit cumbersome. :)
    Nov 18 07:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Apple Won The War For Education [View article]
    If this were a high school basketball game, Apple would be 30 points ahead going into halftime. Can the other team(s) come back? Sure...but the odds...
    Oct 20 01:09 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Catalysts That Are Paving The Way For Apple $700 [View article]
    The title of the article was "17 catalysts..." but I felt a need to cut it off before it became the Silicon Valley equivalent of Martin Luther's Ninety-Five Theses. ;-) I agree with you about the potential for M-Commerce re: future revenues. The question is whether or not Apple will decide to use its brand leverage to make it happen.
    Oct 18 03:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment