Kyle Spencer

View Kyle Spencer's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple's Payments Platform May Be Ready To Roll [View article]
    Agreed, but @ $120. ;)
    Aug 31 05:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Payments Platform May Be Ready To Roll [View article]
    "However ,even a PT of $114 is very, very, very, very, very conservative to say the least."

Conservative is the point.
    Aug 31 05:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Payments Platform May Be Ready To Roll [View article]
    Again, waiting on something like this
    and this http://bit.ly/o8r16a
    ...to rear its ugly, clickbait head.
    Aug 31 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Payments Platform May Be Ready To Roll [View article]
    Michael,

The cowardly truth is that I'm erring on the side of caution, not conviction. My conviction is that Apple is going to kill it in 2014-2015. That being said, Apple is introducing new product categories on Sept. 9th, and every new product category that Apple has introduced since the iPod has been declared either trivial or DOA - until it wasn't.
    See: http://bit.ly/thMF9j
    also: http://bit.ly/o8r16a

Moreover, AAPL's 2013 action or lack thereof instilled in me a healthy fear of such narratives, even when unsupported by the data...perhaps *especially* when unsupported by the data. With a data driven narrative, the risk from the bear case can be quantified, dissected, and argued against.

How do you argue against something like this? http://onforb.es/1rHSI4B
    Aug 31 05:00 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Payments Platform May Be Ready To Roll [View article]
    Re/Code reports that Apple and American Express have reached a deal on mobile payments http://bit.ly/1zZcw1W
    Aug 31 04:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    "It's baffling why Apple is the target of these articles."

Because Apple's overseas cash hoard now accounts for nearly 10% of all corporate cash held by non-financial companies.
    Jun 23 01:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    I realize that it's more complex than that and no, I'm not a tax lawyer. My point isn't that I know how it will end, my point is that the odds that it will end negatively are not being priced in at all.
    Jun 23 01:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    Who hates the players?
    Jun 23 01:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    The author is bullish on Apple and cognizant that Europe is shaking Silicon Valley down.
    Jun 23 01:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    Thanks, Michael. As always, great to hear from you. ;-)
    Jun 23 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    I meant it technically, but I suppose "exploitation" is a rather loaded term. Feel free to replace "systematic exploitation" with "highly efficient utilization".
    Jun 23 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    If Apple hired Irish, I'd agree with you, but Ireland isn't getting Apple's action. Ireland's tax law is being overcome almost entirely by it's lack of withholding tax on inter-EU transfers. 0.05% is nothing.
    Jun 23 12:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    I'm aware of how long Apple has had its Irish arrangements in place (late 1980s) and that the model is widely used by MNCs. I said as much in the article. I never said that Apple violated any tax laws. I said paying zero taxes to foreign governments that are sporting deep double digit unemployment is too clever by half, because it is. That's not a moral or legal judgement, it's a simple observation about the optics of the situation, one that 89% of large companies evidently agree with.

I'm also aware that "Ireland and a number of other countries would have to change their tax laws individually" and that this would result in a loss of economic advantage to some EU member states, et cet. Nothing in the article I wrote suggests that it could be any other way.

However, to argue that the good times will always last because its been that way since the 80s is to ignore a) the growing wealth of Silicon Valley and the associated political consequences of conspicuous tax avoidance b) both the rather dire nature of Europe's present finances and v) the sky high tax regimes that preceded the 80s. What you're saying is, in effect: "Don't worry, we've got this." Do you?
    Jun 23 12:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    I'm hardly an Apple basher.
    Jun 23 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Tax Bill Is About To Get Much, Much Bigger [View article]
    Thank for the comment. I agree that it will be a staggered roll-out, but I'm referring to the timetable for headline risk, not full implementation.
    Jun 23 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment