Larry Doyle

View Larry Doyle's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Baltic Dry Index Submerges [View article]
    John,

This is why 'you're the best!!' Thanks for sharing this insight.
    Jul 14 07:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Baltic Dry Index Submerges [View article]
    I guess that could explain it but I am flabbergasted by the speed and size of the decline. How could market participants not be more fully aware of the timing of delivery of new ships so the decline would have occurred at a more measured rate?

In any event, I will now be watching this more closely.

As always, I appreciate and respect your insights.
    Jul 7 06:47 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Baltic Dry Index Submerges [View article]
    John,

I guess the question I would have is how the BDI increased as much as it did during both mid and late 2009 and then again in the spring 2010 only to fall off a cliff currently. If this decline was/is a result of an increase in available ships then how did we generate the big runups in the BDI during these three previous time periods. I am asking not pretending I have the answer.

I certainly would not think that we would have experienced any sort of increase in available ships during the last year.

Not sure what the BDI might be saying but a 50% decline means it is telling us something.
    Jul 7 03:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Rick Davis Sees GDP Growth of -1.5% and -2% Respectively Over the Next Two Quarters [View article]
    You may want to go back and actually read the commentary so you actually understand what it says prior to commenting. Your comment makes no sense.
    Jul 2 04:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Think Bernanke Just Indicated a Tightening [View article]
    Greenspan's policies directly supported the goals of increasing the homeownership rate.

The Fed did not serve at the behest of Congress but it was anything but independent, for if it were it would not have left rates as low as it did for so long.

...you're entitled to your opinions...and I respect them but disagree.
    Feb 10 09:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Think Bernanke Just Indicated a Tightening [View article]
    I do not buy for a second that the Fed is acting in an independent fashion as you would imply. The Fed has been an extension of the government for far tool long and remains as such.

You may care to buy into the Fed propaganda as to its independence but not me. Greenspan sold that out during the 90s...and it continues today.
    Feb 10 04:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Waiting to See if Euro PIGS Will Fly [View article]
    The point being, just let them default and no big deal?

Ever hear the term contagion?
    Feb 5 05:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Proprietary Trading Brought Down Wall Street [View article]
    Good questions. I think those activities should and need to be debated to determine where to draw the line.

A lot of these activities are normal trading, hedging, and investment activity as part of a normal course of a company's business.

SIVs were set up strictly as an arb. If SIVs were not there, they would not change the business profile of an institution one bit.

The purpose of my writing this article is to highlight the fact that these SIVs were a VERY LARGE part of the activity that brought down the industry and the economy.... and additionally SIVs were purely a proprietary activity.

Nobody seemed to want to address that fact.
    Feb 4 06:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Proprietary Trading Brought Down Wall Street [View article]
    Londres,

You write,

"It's not the SIVs themselves, the mortgage bonds, or the proprietary trading - it's the scale these things were done in, the leverage."

I just explained how all the funding was done via borrowing money in the CP market. Borrowing = leverage, no? The entire SIV was one entirely and massively levered vehicle.
    Feb 4 09:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Proprietary Trading Brought Down Wall Street [View article]
    What I am saying is that proprietary trading needs to be broadly defined. The industry right now would like to narrowly define it so as to maintain the status quo.

SIVs were a MAJOR part of bringing the system, our economy, and our country to its knees. SIVs were clearly proprietary activities.

Acknowledge the fact that SIVs were at the core of our problem, the fact that they were proprietary, and then use that as the benchmark for other entities and operations within the banks.

Good question. Hope this helps clarify.
    Feb 4 08:06 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Britain Sweeps Madoff Investigation Under the Rug - Who Are They Protecting? [View article]
    I won't even stoop to dignify your bigoted remark.

If you thought for a second, perhaps you can see that our financial regulators (SEC and FINRA, both of which have been led by Mary Schapiro) are likely being protected.

You wanted names. There you go. You got 'em.
    Feb 3 05:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Did you even read the commentary embedded in my post about FINRA's investment in Madoff? What do you think about that?
    Feb 3 03:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ferdinand,

You miss the point completely. It's not about Bernie. It is about all the other feeder fish and parasites connected to the big guy as well as all the other individuals who facilitated the ongoing scam.

Am I missing something. Was my commentary that vague? Was this point not self-evident?

Feb 3 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Judge Rakoff's Ruling on Unsealing FINRA Documents [View article]
    There is some good back and forth comments at my site specifically regarding the ability of a judge to overrule a decision upheld on appeal.
    Jan 21 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tuesday's Massachusetts Vote Huge For Both Parties  [View instapost]
    I used to work with Larry at Bear Stearns. He is a truly unique and amazingly intelligent individual.
    Jan 19 07:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment