Larry Harnar

View Larry Harnar's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What I Have Invested In - Update [View instapost]
    Thanks for sharing your portfolio holdings. Seeing the real world portfolios of other investors is always interesting to me.

Oct 27, 2014. 08:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 14 Undervalued Investment Ideas After Recent Market Volatility [View article]
    Nicholas,

Nice article showing many of the value dividend picks out there for the long term buy, hold and monitor investor.

One point:

"XOM has paid an increasing annual dividend for 32 years, CVX for 27 years, and BP for 19 years."

BP actually cut their dividend after the Gulf of Mexico spill and has been gradually increasing it again.

Thanks,

Oct 14, 2014. 01:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Consumer Staples Stats 10-10-14 [View instapost]
    Factoids,

Thanks for the hard work you're putting into your articles and instablog posts. I'm slowly working my way back thru the archives and it's very interesting work. New follower here.

Thanks,
    Oct 13, 2014. 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Contenders: 15 Increases Expected By The End Of October [View article]
    Robert,

I have a very limited understanding of Australia's franking process. I'm not sure what effect franking would have on dividends paid by the Australian based spinoff.

Aug 20, 2014. 10:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Good Morning Robert,

So, with the new spinoff coming, I thought about two issues.

#1 Will the new spinoff pay a dividend and if so, how much?

#2 I believe an Australian based company has a 30% withholding tax on dividends for U.S. investors. So, unless the spinoff is in a taxable account, where you can claim the foreign tax credit, you're going lose 30% of any dividend that the spinoff might pay.

I have some (NYSE:BBL) in both taxable and IRA accounts, so I might just sell the spinoff shares after they are issued and reinvest into more BBL.

Aug 20, 2014. 08:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good Morning David,

Ok, the website for BHP is up and here is a link to the pdf for their results and the final dividend:

So, in my interpretation the final dividend = 0.62 per ordinary share and the ADR ratio of 1 share (NYSE:BBL) = 2 ordinary shares = $1.24 final dividend for each share of BBL.

Does that sound right?

Aug 20, 2014. 07:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yeah for some reason, the company website has been down all day today for me and I haven't been able to check the new dividend rate at the source. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for your hard work, David.

Aug 19, 2014. 07:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Here's the link for the Sydney Morning Herald story:

Aug 19, 2014. 06:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Can anyone else verify $1.21 per share final dividend for (NYSE:BBL)? I read that on a news story this morning, but the company website is down and I can't confirm it.

Aug 19, 2014. 06:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BHP Billiton announces demerger [View news story]
    So I saw in one of the reports that they raised the final dividend to $1.21 share. Can anyone confirm this? I usually look on the company website, but it appears to be down right now.

Aug 19, 2014. 09:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Here's How Much Altria Will Raise Its Dividend In A Few Weeks [View article]
    Altria (NYSE:MO) should declare the increased dividend on 08/21/14:

Aug 14, 2014. 07:12 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Hedge Your Bills [View article]
    @dividend nut

Nothing in the works at the moment. I think about writing again from time to time, but it's tough to come up with something original and that offers value. I don't want to write about the same ten stocks over and over again.

I've considered starting a series of articles profiling my actual income portfolio and updating it monthly or quarterly. I always find real world portfolios interesting and have learned from other authors in that way.

Jul 25, 2014. 04:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Hedge Your Bills [View article]
    @dividendnut

Check out $EPR. I'm long.

REIT that owns movie theaters, water parks and golf courses. Growing dividend as well. Spent some time at one of their water parks this summer and it was packed.

Jul 24, 2014. 05:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • RAIT Financial Trust Merits Consideration [View article]
    Thomas,

I'm really liking their dividend progress. I appreciate your articles that put this REIT on my radar for purchase a while back.

Jun 13, 2014. 09:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment