Larry House

View Larry House's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Selecting The Best Emerging Market Bond Funds [View article]
    PLBDX is worth a look too.
    Mar 14 08:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • HSBC: Undervalued Global Bank With 50% Upside And 5% Dividend [View article]
    "Blue Chip" should not be applied lightly. Is Citigroup (C) a blue chip? I would not call HSBC a blue chip with its dependence on EM. Equity prices around the world have certainly risen, but the underlying world economy is not as solid as it appears.
    Feb 27 08:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Harvard Can Teach Us About Portfolio Management [View article]
    Interesting, Roger. Thanks. Mohamed El-Erian is a voice I always listen to. He is a case-in-point as to just how difficult portfolio construction and management can be. He struggled some at Harvard, and his Pimco Global Asset Allocation Fund was lackluster. His book When Markets Collide was/is the best analysis of the 2008 collapse. We are all newbies managing money since then. Good luck to all.
    Feb 27 08:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bottom In Gold Likely To Be Below $770 [View article]
    "Most 'tail risk' is behind us"--I would like to know how you know that! I guess all Black Swans are dead too, and insurance is no longer needed! The reasons for having gold in one's holdings are just as real today as every day. Don't play gold--just own some.
    Feb 23 10:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Stocks To Own During A Market Meltdown [View article]
    Diversification is the best strategy to keep the portfolio afloat and handling the waves.
    Feb 23 10:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm A Passive Investor (And You Should Be Too) [View article]
    If you are investing your life savings, go passive. If you are still accumulating, why not go active? I pick the funds I want, the individual stocks I want, the allocation I want, and my best gains this year are from my overweight of contrary picks gold miners and physical precious metals. I don't give up my evenings in endless research either. My goals are modest (realistic, I think), and I think the worst attitude to bring to investing is "I'm going to make a killing."
    Feb 17 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ben's 2014 Guide To Precious Metals Investing [View article]
    Very useful article, all in all. Certainly an investment class that deserves attention. BGEIX is a good fund, low expenses, and I have made money with it more than once. Provides a very reasonable way to hold a cross section of miners, gold and silver, and I have a position in it now.
    Feb 3 10:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Silver Wheaton Corp.: A Big Long-Term Investment Opportunity [View article]
    Just hold the metal and don't worry about the ups and downs of the companies. Silver and/or gold bullion are legit parts of any investment portfolio. Miners and related companies are more complicated and problematic.
    Jun 28 08:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Junk Bond King Says Stocks Are Better Than Bonds [View article]
    Bonds, junk or otherwise, may have run their course, but when it comes to equities, the risk level is quite high there as well. I would argue there may be better possible return in equities than in junk bonds right now, but I don't think one can make the case for lower risk in equities.
    Nov 22 11:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Happens to Motorola When Verizon Starts Selling Apple's iPhone? [View article]
    You ask good questions, but you are short on answers. Not at all useful.
    Oct 31 04:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Reasons Why 2011 Will Be a Tough Slog [View article]
    Think basics. People are going to eat and need energy. I think the best place to be for years to come will be investing in things people have to have--things an expanding number of people in the world want to have. I think people in the developed countries will continue to decide what they can do without. These items will make poor investments. Social unrest, sorry to say, can only make basic needs more dear. Invest for the worst and pray for the best. We have many challenges ahead.
    Sep 17 04:01 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Reasons This Is Not a Sustainable Rally [View article]
    There is certainly no shortage of reasons to remain cautious. What gets me is when the market is struggling, the talking heads are pointing out that we are in a multi-year economic recovery. Then when we have a few up days, the talk sounds more like all problems are past and we are over the worst. We can't have it both ways. Just because a battle is won does not mean the war is won. There is a lot more to come!
    Sep 3 04:39 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corporate Profits Get No Respect [View article]
    Tom, you look as though you have seen a fair amount of market history, as I have, and doggonit, the blamed market just won't be reduced to a formula for how it should value things. It's very frustrating, but that is the way it is. The formula just doesn't include all the psychological--politic... that affect investors who in turn are reflected in the stock market. I agree with your positive outlook for investing long-term, just don't expect to see sanity and common sense reflected in the market day to day. I do think a sound allocation and diversification plan will be rewarded, but it is going to take time.
    Sep 2 05:00 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Caution, Investors, Caution [View article]
    One day the media stresses the view that we are in a multi-year recovery. Then we have a strong day, and the view is that all is well from one day to the next, and the market is healed and strong. Stocks bounce both ways, and a day does not make a trend. Nothing fundamentally changed on Sept. 1. Money came into the market on the 1st. It is yet to be seen if that money makes any money. Caution is indeed the word. Thanks for the reminder about Lost in Space! I watched that show faithfully for all its campy faults.
    Sep 2 11:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Stocks Are the Cheapest They've Been in 50 Years [View article]
    The title of your post and the conclusion of your post are not the same thing. I realize SA writes the titles many times, and the title is relative. Stocks may get cheaper in the months to come. Stocks are worth what buyers are willing to pay; they are not valued by a set standard.
    Sep 2 11:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment