Larry House

View Larry House's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What The Federal Reserve And The Fear Trade Do For Gold [View article]
    It is not original with me, but it is good to be an investor and not speculator. That means balance. Proverbs says to cast your bread upon the water (be a risk taker) but to divide your investment up into four or five categories (diversify). Good advice 2,500 years ago and still good advice today.
    Mar 20, 2015. 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold My Stake In USAGX - I'm Tired Of Losing Money [View article]
    Take a look at BGEIX (I do not own it at this time). I think the expense rate is .68
    Mar 3, 2015. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GLD's Long-Term Outlook Remains Strong [View article]
    pattucci,

Don't worry about where the price of gold is going; just own some and make it an asset class along with all the others. One doesn't weigh the chances of needing insurance--one just gets insurance as a necessary expense.

The rub comes when some recommend ONLY precious metals to the exclusion of all other asset classes. That is an extreme view that takes one out of investing and into pure speculation. That is VERY hard to defend--in my view.
    Feb 26, 2015. 03:01 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Retirees Invest In Financials? S&P 500 2015: Part 4B [View article]
    It all boils down to pick the good ones and avoid the bad ones. Good luck!
    Feb 2, 2015. 05:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Selecting The Best Emerging Market Bond Funds [View article]
    PLBDX is worth a look too.
    Mar 14, 2014. 08:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • HSBC: Undervalued Global Bank With 50% Upside And 5% Dividend [View article]
    "Blue Chip" should not be applied lightly. Is Citigroup (C) a blue chip? I would not call HSBC a blue chip with its dependence on EM. Equity prices around the world have certainly risen, but the underlying world economy is not as solid as it appears.
    Feb 27, 2014. 08:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Harvard Can Teach Us About Portfolio Management [View article]
    Interesting, Roger. Thanks. Mohamed El-Erian is a voice I always listen to. He is a case-in-point as to just how difficult portfolio construction and management can be. He struggled some at Harvard, and his Pimco Global Asset Allocation Fund was lackluster. His book When Markets Collide was/is the best analysis of the 2008 collapse. We are all newbies managing money since then. Good luck to all.
    Feb 27, 2014. 08:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bottom In Gold Likely To Be Below $770 [View article]
    "Most 'tail risk' is behind us"--I would like to know how you know that! I guess all Black Swans are dead too, and insurance is no longer needed! The reasons for having gold in one's holdings are just as real today as every day. Don't play gold--just own some.
    Feb 23, 2014. 10:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Stocks To Own During A Market Meltdown [View article]
    Diversification is the best strategy to keep the portfolio afloat and handling the waves.
    Feb 23, 2014. 10:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm A Passive Investor (And You Should Be Too) [View article]
    If you are investing your life savings, go passive. If you are still accumulating, why not go active? I pick the funds I want, the individual stocks I want, the allocation I want, and my best gains this year are from my overweight of contrary picks gold miners and physical precious metals. I don't give up my evenings in endless research either. My goals are modest (realistic, I think), and I think the worst attitude to bring to investing is "I'm going to make a killing."
    Feb 17, 2014. 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ben's 2014 Guide To Precious Metals Investing [View article]
    Very useful article, all in all. Certainly an investment class that deserves attention. BGEIX is a good fund, low expenses, and I have made money with it more than once. Provides a very reasonable way to hold a cross section of miners, gold and silver, and I have a position in it now.
    Feb 3, 2014. 10:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Silver Wheaton Corp.: A Big Long-Term Investment Opportunity [View article]
    Just hold the metal and don't worry about the ups and downs of the companies. Silver and/or gold bullion are legit parts of any investment portfolio. Miners and related companies are more complicated and problematic.
    Jun 28, 2013. 08:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Junk Bond King Says Stocks Are Better Than Bonds [View article]
    Bonds, junk or otherwise, may have run their course, but when it comes to equities, the risk level is quite high there as well. I would argue there may be better possible return in equities than in junk bonds right now, but I don't think one can make the case for lower risk in equities.
    Nov 22, 2010. 11:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Happens to Motorola When Verizon Starts Selling Apple's iPhone? [View article]
    You ask good questions, but you are short on answers. Not at all useful.
    Oct 31, 2010. 04:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Reasons Why 2011 Will Be a Tough Slog [View article]
    Think basics. People are going to eat and need energy. I think the best place to be for years to come will be investing in things people have to have--things an expanding number of people in the world want to have. I think people in the developed countries will continue to decide what they can do without. These items will make poor investments. Social unrest, sorry to say, can only make basic needs more dear. Invest for the worst and pray for the best. We have many challenges ahead.
    Sep 17, 2010. 04:01 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment