Larry House

View Larry House's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • I Have a Bad Feeling About This Market [View article]
    The whole purpose of Seeking Alpha, as I see it, is to provide a forum for all views. The reader can make his/her own judgment about the credibility and usefulness. This piece is right on in tone reflecting how many feel about this market and the current investing climate. Agree or disagree, but these comments about the author are petty and demeaning. Seeking Alpha is not the joke, but some of the comments sure are.
    Feb 6 09:46 AM | 73 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is a Crash Impending? [View article]
    Thanks, Karl, your points have to be considered. There is a chance of a collapse, and I think that chance is greater in light of what is happening in China. Couldn't that be called a collapse? There is no doubt that China is in the midst of growth and will continue to, but the reality is that this is what happens when prices runup too far too fast. Green shoots no longer matter--only measurable improvement in economic fundamentals. Those we do not yet see. I hope things only get bigger and better, but to close one's mind to the possibility of a collapse is foolhardy.
    Aug 31 12:01 PM | 37 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GE Results Validate Theory: Severe Economic Contraction [View article]
    I think you are right, Karl. Sobering, but true. We are going through a multi-year economic change that has only begun.
    Jul 17 11:01 AM | 30 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Have a Bad Feeling About This Market [View article]
    I don't want anyone deciding what I should read or the ideas I should be confronted with, gvsmitty19. Apparently you don't approve of Seeking Alpha, so you have the choice of not reading pieces here. There is always CNBC for you. Are you afraid of differing viewpoints?
    Feb 6 10:41 AM | 29 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exclusive Interview with Jim Rogers: Inflation Is Coming [View article]
    I hold Jim Rogers' opinions in high regard. He is quite blunt and cock sure, which bothers some, but I think he is usually right on has a good handle on the "big picture." I agree with the outlook for inflation, but it is impossible to say when. Even Rogers said that. Going into commodities now could beat a person to death waiting for the inflationary pressures to set in. I think investing to capture the rise of inflation will be THE major play at some point in the future; there is just no telling if it will come late '09, '10, '11 or later.
    Jan 15 02:31 PM | 29 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • We're Rolling Over Even With the Fed Openly Juicing the Markets? [View article]
    Thanks for pulling back the curtain some more and allowing us to see this Heart of Darkness. Little wonder average investors have run screaming from the market and won't return anytime soon. Between our government and Big Boy programmed trading, the Little Guy doesn't stand a chance.
    Aug 19 11:52 AM | 25 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Credit Card Cancer [View article]
    Now that consumers have to reduce spending and borrowing, our dear government has decided it will borrow and spend for us. We won't see any benefit from it, but we, our kids and our grandkids will be left with the bill. Thanks Uncle Sam.
    Mar 14 05:11 PM | 25 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Rally, When It Comes, Will Be a Doozy [View article]
    I agree with your premise. I was buying today because I feel the same way. I have been wrong before, but I took positions today that I am willing to hold for the rest of the year or beyond to give them a chance to work. After the steady, unending decline, the chances are getting greater for a meaningful rally. That can happen whether the underlying economy is improving or not.
    Mar 6 04:13 PM | 23 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Due for a Correction? Market Is Already Priced for Grim Future [View article]
    No one can tell at any given moment what is priced into the market. After a 50% bounce, how can you say all the bad news is priced in? I am optimistic as well, but I am also realistic. I have some long equity positions, and I don't short stocks. But nothing would surprise me over the next couple of months--as well as next year. The real story may prove to be how bad 2010 is. With long positions, obviously I am hopeful of higher prices before the year is out, but hang onto you hat as we go through the next couple of months.
    Aug 31 05:00 PM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Another Stock Market Collapse Could Be Imminent [View article]
    Operating earnings come from the business activity of the company. They also have investment income or others ways they earned money that didn't come directly from product sales or whatever the company does. Posted earnings should include all earnings from all sources. That is why earnings reports get picked apart to see where the earnings came from. Operating earnings are the good earnings for company growth.

You make many good points Graham. I just don't think the current market will be as predictable as putting two charts together. I do think risk is high right now and will go higher the longer we go without a meaningful correction. Be careful out there.
    Aug 5 04:32 PM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Saudi Khurais Field: Looks Like Easy Oil May Be Gone from Arabia, Too [View article]
    It is hard to make a bullish case for oil in the near-term, with the surplus, but it is hard not to be bullish long-term. The patient investor will be rewarded.
    Apr 17 03:04 PM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Must Be Crazy [View article]
    I don't think this is going to be good in the long run. The economy is getting a fix, but it is going to have to go cold turkey at some point. Look out then!
    Mar 18 04:04 PM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Free Market Votes: Still No Change We Can Believe In [View article]
    You are right, Joel, about the "economically illiterate." It is not good when the President feels he needs to talk about the stock market and judging whether it is a good buy or not. I remember when Richard Nixon said "If I had any money, I'd be buying stocks now." The market promptly tanked. The reasoning is simple: If the President thinks he has to bolster the stock market, things must be pretty bad--maybe worse than we think. Obama has fallen into the same pit. We are in a horrible maze, and none of these "leaders" have a clue as to what to do.
    Mar 5 04:08 PM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Rally Is Sustainable: Halftime Report, Part 2 [View article]
    You wrote a very long piece before you acknowledged that you don't "know" either; you are just building a case. None of us know. One thing I do believe, most sincerely, is that talking about "past" and "historical" recessions is a waste of time UNLESS you can show that this recession is just like those--same economic problems, etc. I don't think you can do that. What we are facing now is different, and we don't yet have any evidence that the economy has been helped by government actions. Yes, the market and the economy are two differnet things, but the market will eventually reflect the economy just as stocks eventually reflect company fundamentals. We are in unchartered waters, and I only caution each investor to formulate his/her own view and invest accordingly. I have done/am doing that, but I would never advise that my view is absolutely correct for anyone else. We are on a long, bumpy jouney.
    Jul 22 11:01 AM | 21 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Book Review: Great Depression Ahead [View article]
    Thanks for the comments. I am not a disciple of Dent, but I find all opinions worth considering. I find it interesting that George Soros has called for the bottom of the downturn to occur in late '09, followed by a weak, flatline recovery extending for years.
    May 8 10:14 AM | 21 Likes Like |Link to Comment