Larry Meyers

View Larry Meyers' Comments BY TICKER:
  • 12 Dividend Stocks To Hedge Against A Social Security Implosion [View article]
    bobhester,
    I think it's time I wrote an article about this, and I understand why you ask. If every investment writer had a position in every stock they ever wrote about, we'd all be running mutual funds with hundreds of long and short positions. That's the first part.

The second part, which is something I should make clear (and will) in my profile, is that I am writing for the investor who has a diversified long-term portfolio, and also has room and risk tolerance for a few trades and option plays.

The third part is that I am not always, or necessarily, the same investor that I am writing for. My own portfolio is constantly in flux. For example, I may not own or plan to initiate a position in 72 hours, but I may buy the week after. I don't write an article timed around a purchase. I write an article when the mood strikes me.

The final part is an inherent reason for the existence the disclosure policies of all investment websites. The reason disclosure is required is to alert the reader to any potential bias the writer may have. It is not intended to suggest to the reader that because the writer does/doesn't have a position, that the readers should follow lock-step. Each readers's investment profile is unique.
    Feb 7, 2012. 06:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 3 Safest High-Yielding Investments You've Never Heard Of [View article]
    dm,
    If I owned every single stock I wrote about or was bullish on, I'd be running a mutual fund with 600 holdings. Also, my own personal portfolio allocation shifts regularly, so while I may not hold a stock I write about at the time or initiate a position within 72 hours of writing, I may at a later date.
    Feb 3, 2012. 11:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The 3 Safest High-Yielding Investments You've Never Heard Of [View article]
    Thanks for all your comments, folks. jbzw -- I am very high on AHT, both common and preferred.
    Jan 31, 2012. 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Payday Lenders Offer Big Upside, Despite Regulatory Hurdles [View article]
    Thanks for the compliment, Ryan. We get flack because of the loony consumer activists who don't understand economics, and think the product is "unfair", and from the public that just eats up whatever the media feeds them.

Are you by any chance in need of capital? If so, PM me.
    Jan 29, 2012. 09:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Payday Lenders Offer Big Upside, Despite Regulatory Hurdles [View article]
    Brad, I do not see the dividend being raised. I think AEA wants to generate cash so it can be ready to move back into the states if the situation warrants.
    Jan 29, 2012. 09:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Payday Lenders Offer Big Upside, Despite Regulatory Hurdles [View article]
    Correct on all counts.
    Jan 28, 2012. 02:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Payday Lenders Offer Big Upside, Despite Regulatory Hurdles [View article]
    Thanks, Alan.
    Jan 27, 2012. 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Netflix On A Suicide Mission? [View article]
    And Rocco, even if you eliminate virtually every other great argument you make, the most basic problem with Netflix comes down to money.

Streaming costs a fortune to license content. Netflix doesn't have, and never will have, the deep pockets of its competitors.
    Jan 27, 2012. 12:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Payday Lenders Offer Big Upside, Despite Regulatory Hurdles [View article]
    Brad, it appears this acquisition is of FirstAgain, which offers unsecured loans of $7500 to $100,000 to "super-prime borrowers". So they really aren't a payday lender. I doubt any bank would buy into a payday lender. In fact, I know they won't. As it is, I could only get one bank to provide a credit line to me for a 100% SECURED deal involving payday. They fear "reputation risk".

But this sort of unsecured credit line is pretty common and it makes good business sense.

The online model is completely and totally different from storefront. Once the gold rush ended, and the foolish lost everything, the survivors have made a very strong go of it, and have taken from 15-20% market share away from the storefronts. This, coupled with storefront saturation, is why you are seeing flat revenue across payday segments for both monoline and multiline operators.
    Jan 27, 2012. 01:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • At Least Not Every Netflix Analyst Is Certifiably Insane [View article]
    I think you ignore Rocco at your own peril.
    Jan 26, 2012. 07:13 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Payday Lenders Offer Big Upside, Despite Regulatory Hurdles [View article]
    Thanks for the compliment, Brad.
    Jan 26, 2012. 06:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bull Case For Sirius XM, And How To Buy It With Less Risk [View article]
    Thanks for the compliment, mja449.
    Jan 25, 2012. 02:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bull Case For Sirius XM, And How To Buy It With Less Risk [View article]
    Liberty is so big with so many assets it practically is a mutual fund. So we certainly agree on that!
    Jan 24, 2012. 02:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bull Case For Sirius XM, And How To Buy It With Less Risk [View article]
    You're welcome. I found your analysis to be exceptional. I've followed Liberty and Malone for a very long time. He is not a stupid man. The DTV deal had a purpose and everyone won. I believe the same will be true of SIRI.
    Jan 24, 2012. 02:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bull Case For Sirius XM, And How To Buy It With Less Risk [View article]
    Yes, I think you are on to something. SIRI has struggled for some time, but it seems like they've turned the corner, and once that happens, it is a very good business that generates solid cash.
    Jan 24, 2012. 02:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment