Larry Meyers

View Larry Meyers' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • What Apple, And Everyone Else, Will Do With Their Cash Piles [View article]
    Most companies hold either cash or short term investments, meaning short-term corporate paper or possibly Treasuries. If you were on the board, you would seek to maximize a return on investing that capital. But here's the problem: what is the best investment of that capital at this time?

1) Return to shareholders? Nope. The economy is still struggling. In times like that, you want to hold onto cash.
    2) Repurchase stock? Possibly, but only if you think the stock is undervalued and those companies with tons of cash generally are not.
    3) Invest to grow the business further? They are all doing that to some extent. Look at the capital expenditures on the cash flow statement. But they are doing so gingerly because the economy is not really recovering completely.
    4) Hire more people? See #3.

What is not listed in this article is what is going on with private equity, where I do most of my own business. There is tremendous amounts of capital sitting on the sidelines, because these funds invest in fast-growing companies in emerging industries, or in the "middle market" -- companies that have seen success and are ready for the next stage of growth. However, with regulatory uncertainty that could torpedo any initiative -- particularly those that are in any way regulated by the government -- there is too great a risk that the investment will be lost.

Check out the link on the words, "I have witnessed a capital strike".

What you don't hear from any of the detractors above is this: why do THEY think there's a capital strike?
    Feb 23 11:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Apple, And Everyone Else, Will Do With Their Cash Piles [View article]
    Nice, Steve. Why don't you address the argument made in the article rather than resort to an ad-hom attack? Probably because you can't?
    Feb 23 11:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Apple, And Everyone Else, Will Do With Their Cash Piles [View article]
    Why don't you attack the validity of the argument with your own opinion?
    Feb 23 10:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The 3 Safest High-Yielding Investments You've Never Heard Of [View article]
    dm,
    If I owned every single stock I wrote about or was bullish on, I'd be running a mutual fund with 600 holdings. Also, my own personal portfolio allocation shifts regularly, so while I may not hold a stock I write about at the time or initiate a position within 72 hours of writing, I may at a later date.
    Feb 3 11:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Payday Lenders Offer Big Upside, Despite Regulatory Hurdles [View article]
    Brad, it appears this acquisition is of FirstAgain, which offers unsecured loans of $7500 to $100,000 to "super-prime borrowers". So they really aren't a payday lender. I doubt any bank would buy into a payday lender. In fact, I know they won't. As it is, I could only get one bank to provide a credit line to me for a 100% SECURED deal involving payday. They fear "reputation risk".

But this sort of unsecured credit line is pretty common and it makes good business sense.

The online model is completely and totally different from storefront. Once the gold rush ended, and the foolish lost everything, the survivors have made a very strong go of it, and have taken from 15-20% market share away from the storefronts. This, coupled with storefront saturation, is why you are seeing flat revenue across payday segments for both monoline and multiline operators.
    Jan 27 01:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bull Case For Sirius XM, And How To Buy It With Less Risk [View article]
    You're welcome. I found your analysis to be exceptional. I've followed Liberty and Malone for a very long time. He is not a stupid man. The DTV deal had a purpose and everyone won. I believe the same will be true of SIRI.
    Jan 24 02:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bull Case For Sirius XM, And How To Buy It With Less Risk [View article]
    Yes, I think you are on to something. SIRI has struggled for some time, but it seems like they've turned the corner, and once that happens, it is a very good business that generates solid cash.
    Jan 24 02:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Still See Trouble On The Horizon For J.C. Penney [View article]
    Adam, might I suggest that by focusing strictly on quantitative analysis, you are missing the fact that JCP is a turnaround play. There is a reason that Bill Ackman took a gigantic stake in the company (I suggest you track down his thesis), which includes undervalued real estate assets. There is a reason why the man who created Apple's retail store concept was hired away from Apple, in which he gave up $73 million in compensation, to take $50 million to become CEO.

You are missing the bigger picture, IMHO.
    Dec 6 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Caught Between 4 Rocks And A Hard Place [View article]
    Slim, thanks for the note. I think we disagree. It really doesn't matter whether you subtract that $900 million from net income or right from the top line itself. That's a hard cash expense. Even at the operating income level, I see $217MM for the first six months, or $434MM run-rate for the year. Either way, subtract out $900 million and the company shows a loss, and I believe that's a real cash loss.
    Aug 24 03:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Stocks for the Zombie Apocalypse [View article]
    Thank you!
    Aug 19 12:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Stocks for the Zombie Apocalypse [View article]
    Al, tried to stay away from that rather politically charged statement. This was supposed to be light hearted.
    Aug 18 12:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IMAX's Q2 Results Support the Short Case [View article]
    You are the one making unsupported, personal attacks. "Short shill"? "...you are trying to get the price of this stock down, for the sole purpose of getting it down"

Grow up.

I merely asked you to provide specific details as to exactly how this camera will translate to recurring revenue. Don't see why that should make your head spin.

I'm reporting a story. It's an opinion editorial. If you disagree, provide specific rebuttals. Take the five points I laid out in the last article. List them one by one and rebut them each, one by one. That's the most direct way to a discussion.
    Aug 3 06:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IMAX's Q2 Results Support the Short Case [View article]
    See previous comment.
    Aug 3 12:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IMAX's Q2 Results Support the Short Case [View article]
    Contrikos,
    Name one single argument I have not addressed.

"Short shill"? I am not short. I am not long. I have no position.

But since you are name calling....you are just a blowhard who lacks the intellectual capacity to debate.

Then, show me your direct rebuttals to all the points I have made.
    Aug 3 12:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IMAX's Q2 Results Support the Short Case [View article]
    Okay, but I'd really prefer you address the specific points made in my 3 articles.
    Aug 3 03:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment