Larry Meyers

View Larry Meyers' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Payday Lenders Offer Big Upside, Despite Regulatory Hurdles [View article]
    Brad, it appears this acquisition is of FirstAgain, which offers unsecured loans of $7500 to $100,000 to "super-prime borrowers". So they really aren't a payday lender. I doubt any bank would buy into a payday lender. In fact, I know they won't. As it is, I could only get one bank to provide a credit line to me for a 100% SECURED deal involving payday. They fear "reputation risk".

But this sort of unsecured credit line is pretty common and it makes good business sense.

The online model is completely and totally different from storefront. Once the gold rush ended, and the foolish lost everything, the survivors have made a very strong go of it, and have taken from 15-20% market share away from the storefronts. This, coupled with storefront saturation, is why you are seeing flat revenue across payday segments for both monoline and multiline operators.
    Jan 27 01:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bull Case For Sirius XM, And How To Buy It With Less Risk [View article]
    You're welcome. I found your analysis to be exceptional. I've followed Liberty and Malone for a very long time. He is not a stupid man. The DTV deal had a purpose and everyone won. I believe the same will be true of SIRI.
    Jan 24 02:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bull Case For Sirius XM, And How To Buy It With Less Risk [View article]
    Yes, I think you are on to something. SIRI has struggled for some time, but it seems like they've turned the corner, and once that happens, it is a very good business that generates solid cash.
    Jan 24 02:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Still See Trouble On The Horizon For J.C. Penney [View article]
    Adam, might I suggest that by focusing strictly on quantitative analysis, you are missing the fact that JCP is a turnaround play. There is a reason that Bill Ackman took a gigantic stake in the company (I suggest you track down his thesis), which includes undervalued real estate assets. There is a reason why the man who created Apple's retail store concept was hired away from Apple, in which he gave up $73 million in compensation, to take $50 million to become CEO.

You are missing the bigger picture, IMHO.
    Dec 6 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Caught Between 4 Rocks And A Hard Place [View article]
    Slim, thanks for the note. I think we disagree. It really doesn't matter whether you subtract that $900 million from net income or right from the top line itself. That's a hard cash expense. Even at the operating income level, I see $217MM for the first six months, or $434MM run-rate for the year. Either way, subtract out $900 million and the company shows a loss, and I believe that's a real cash loss.
    Aug 24 03:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Stocks for the Zombie Apocalypse [View article]
    Thank you!
    Aug 19 12:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Stocks for the Zombie Apocalypse [View article]
    Al, tried to stay away from that rather politically charged statement. This was supposed to be light hearted.
    Aug 18 12:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IMAX's Q2 Results Support the Short Case [View article]
    You are the one making unsupported, personal attacks. "Short shill"? "...you are trying to get the price of this stock down, for the sole purpose of getting it down"

Grow up.

I merely asked you to provide specific details as to exactly how this camera will translate to recurring revenue. Don't see why that should make your head spin.

I'm reporting a story. It's an opinion editorial. If you disagree, provide specific rebuttals. Take the five points I laid out in the last article. List them one by one and rebut them each, one by one. That's the most direct way to a discussion.
    Aug 3 06:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IMAX's Q2 Results Support the Short Case [View article]
    See previous comment.
    Aug 3 12:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IMAX's Q2 Results Support the Short Case [View article]
    Contrikos,
    Name one single argument I have not addressed.

"Short shill"? I am not short. I am not long. I have no position.

But since you are name calling....you are just a blowhard who lacks the intellectual capacity to debate.

Then, show me your direct rebuttals to all the points I have made.
    Aug 3 12:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IMAX's Q2 Results Support the Short Case [View article]
    Okay, but I'd really prefer you address the specific points made in my 3 articles.
    Aug 3 03:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Imax Has a Collapse in Its Future [View article]
    Talk to me in five years when the stock is at zero.
    Jul 17 02:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Profit From Public and Private Alternative Investments [View article]
    Entirely depends on the company itself. You'll need to go to their IR dept.
    Jul 3 06:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Coinstar: Anything Is Possible [View article]
    Did you ever wonder how Coinstar machines end up in the stores in the first place? Do you think they just drop them in there for free? Hello! Coinstar pays the location owners. Whatever Coinstar offers cannot cut into the stores' own sales and margins, that's correct. But ANY product that makes economic sense for both sides is a product that will end up in a kiosk. And there are an infinite number of products. In addition, lower margin products could get shuttled into kiosks, opening up shelf space for higher margin products. If anything, that's a boon to the stores.
    Jun 30 08:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Advance America: A Value Play, Not a Trap [View article]
    Nope. They have much more room to run. The pawn expansion in Mexico is just beginning.
    Jun 27 02:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment