Larry Smith

View Larry Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Bear Claws My Dividend Growth Portfolio - Will I Cut And Run? [View article]
    DividendBug, some of us (cough) older investors have lived through several down markets. 2008/2009 was the worse I have seen. Although it wasn't easy, I kept buying and sold nothing. Best shares I ever bought were during that period. I am sure Dave, and others did the same. Have the strength of your convictions and stick to the plan.

As always, great article Dave.
    Mar 23, 2015. 12:16 PM | 20 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Is On The Sell Clock [View article]
    Just out of curiosity, how are you playing the volatility?
    Mar 19, 2015. 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Message To McDonald's Management: Don't Sell The Real Estate Assets [View article]
    Nice article Steve. I agree the real estate should not be spun-off, hedge fund guys just want a quick profit and then will quickly sell. Reducing menu size is important, right now too many items.

I also agree corporate should listen to the franchisees, the Egg McMuffiin was developed by a franchisee as was the fish filet (Ray Kroc wanted a hula burger made with pineapple). The franchisees are closer to the customer than corporate is.
    Mar 19, 2015. 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nobody Wants To Be Seen In A McDonald's: Problem Or Opportunity? [View article]
    Wow, six paragraphs on your observations, culminating in a thesis of they need more people eating inside the restaurant. Very insightful.
    Mar 17, 2015. 11:53 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Is On The Sell Clock [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Earl, in general, I agree with your thoughts on YOC. In fact, I bought Walgreens when it was at about $29 and yielding over 3%, sold it in the $70's because, as you mentioned, the yield had dropped to less than 2%. In that case, YOC did not matter to me. However, MCD is a little different in that the yield is over 3%, so the current yield is solid and the YOC is over 5%, so that combination seems pretty attractive. But, you are right, in the end, what really matters is current yield.
    Mar 17, 2015. 07:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Is On The Sell Clock [View article]
    Noticed this article on CNBC, which discusses allegations that MCD is not a safe place to work. Allegations were made by the group trying to get $15.00 wages for MCD employees. I imagine the allegations are erroneous, but it shows the target MCD has become for so many activist groups.

Mar 16, 2015. 12:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Is On The Sell Clock [View article]
    Thanks for the kind words mbn, I appreciate it. It was easy to present the facts from both sides because I have an ongoing debate in my head between buy and sell.. Hopefully, MCD turns it around and I can turn those voices off. ;-)
    Mar 16, 2015. 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Is On The Sell Clock [View article]
    Thanks for adding your experiences from China, I find them enlightening.
    Mar 16, 2015. 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Dusty, you seem to have figured out how to maximize the MCD menu, good for you. I agree with your thoughts about the criticism MCD receives, the big guy gets the abuse, but the majority of fast food restaurants are no better or worse.
    Mar 15, 2015. 07:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Is On The Sell Clock [View article]
    Thanks for the comment FcFrag, nothing wrong with you, I like the food too. I am not sure the stock price is going down, then again, I am not sure it is going up either, which is why it is on my watch list.
    Mar 15, 2015. 07:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Is On The Sell Clock [View article]
    Ian, I hear a lot of people say KO and MCD a similar, while I would agree they are international companies known by consumers everywhere, I would say there is one big difference, MCD has loads of competition and KO has only Pepsi. I know there are other small beverage companies, but no one could put together the distribution system KO has. I have a large position in KO, but if it got cheap, I would add. Don't think I would ever add to MCD.
    Mar 14, 2015. 09:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Is On The Sell Clock [View article]
    Kolpin, thanks for articulating your thoughts so succinctly, always intersting to see in to the mind of another investor.

Thanks
    Mar 14, 2015. 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Is On The Sell Clock [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Dividend Dreams, I wish you luck with your plan.
    Mar 14, 2015. 03:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Yes that rumor has been around for some time, however, MCD management thinks real estate is better for company if not spun off.
    Mar 14, 2015. 11:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Is On The Sell Clock [View article]
    All I know Dave is that my returns have been consistently higher with DGI than with any other investment plan I tried. I also sleep very well at night and that is important to me. Shoulda, coulda, woulda, is a meaningless game.
    Mar 14, 2015. 11:54 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment