Larry Smith

View Larry Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Commodities Today: Could 'Big Oil' Surprise Investors This Quarter [View article]
    Many of the big oil companies may have passed on Whiting due to the asking price. Numerous oil executives said, even though prices had declined greatly, sellers were still asking top dollar for their company.

Not surprised the companies with refining operations are having a decent quarter as crack spreads have been very wide, Will be interesting to see how COP does, since they spun off the refining portion of their business.

Long XOM
    Apr 28, 2015. 01:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon/Chevron Earnings Previews: Managing Free-Cash-Flow In '15 Will Be Key [View article]
    Nice article, I think your perception of where XOM is and where it can go are pretty accurate.
    Apr 27, 2015. 06:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Morgan Stanley: 10 cheap big names, 10 expensive ones [View news story]
    giofis, I agree with that. New CEO's looking to turn things around, often right off everything the first quarter they are in charge and give themselves a clean slate going forward.
    Apr 27, 2015. 06:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Morgan Stanley: 10 cheap big names, 10 expensive ones [View news story]
    Actually, most of the stores they are closing are money losing stores. Here is the actual quote from the conference call.

"Most of these restaurants were not contributing to our overall profitability or cash flow, and we will continue to review our restaurant portfolio with the intent of optimizing our asset base around the world."
    Apr 27, 2015. 03:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Morgan Stanley: 10 cheap big names, 10 expensive ones [View news story]
    Thanks, Anasazi

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. The three companies I mentioned are my longest holdings, while I have owned them I have seen many a buy, hold and sell. They are not exciting, but they continue to raise dividends and slowly grow. At some point or another, they run into bumps in the road and then straighten themselves out and continue growing. I would be lying if I didn't say I have some concern with MCD, but I will wait and see what the new CEO has to offer.

I agree with your comment concerning new investors doing additional research.
    Apr 27, 2015. 11:43 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Morgan Stanley: 10 cheap big names, 10 expensive ones [View news story]
    "definitely"? I doubt it. MCD generates tons of free cash which it uses to pay dividends and buyback stock. I an willing to bet, no cut is coming.
    Apr 27, 2015. 09:42 AM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Morgan Stanley: 10 cheap big names, 10 expensive ones [View news story]
    KO, MCD and XOM are all stocks that should be avoided and stocks I own. Oh well, analysts are quite often wrong, so I think I will stick with them for another 10-years.
    Apr 27, 2015. 08:52 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be A McDonald's Contrarian [View article]
    They had previously announced 350 closings, yesterday they added another 350, for a total of 700.
    Apr 23, 2015. 12:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Purchased Schwab's U.S Dividend Equity ETF As A Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Dave, I do not think so. this is from Investopedia

"ETFs offer greater flexibility than mutual funds when it comes to trading. Purchases and sales take place directly between investors and the fund. The price of the fund is not determined until end of business day, when net asset value (NAV) is determined. An ETF, by comparison, is created or redeemed in large lots by institutional investors and the shares trade throughout the day between investors like a stock.

Like a stock, ETFs can be sold short. Those provisions are important to traders and speculators, but of little interest to long-term investors. But, because ETFs are priced continuously by the market, there is the potential for trading to take place at a price other than the true NAV, which may introduce the opportunity for arbitrage"

Essentially, if tomorrow, everyone decided your ETF was the best thing in the world and bought it, the price would greatly exceed the NAV of the actual holdings.

At least that is how I understand it.
    Apr 20, 2015. 04:59 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave, as always, a nice article. Let me share why I own no ETF's and then you can comment on why I am wrong. ;-)

I feel ETF's are used by traders to take short term positions in various sectors while that sector is hot, thus increasing or decreasing the share cost unrelated to actual value of the shares held in the ETF. The fact that the real underlying value of an ETF can be affected by traders keeps me away from ETF's. I believe mutual funds, which reflect the real value of the securities held, make for better long term investments, despite the fees.

My comment is not a criticism, just sharing a view point for discussion. Thanks
    Apr 20, 2015. 11:31 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Enterprise Products Partners Or Kinder Morgan Inc.? [View article]
    Nice article. I am long KMI and would like to be long EPD, but I avoid MLP's due to the tax issue. Really wish EPD would offer a tracking stock that could be put in an IRA.
    Apr 20, 2015. 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Global Oil Supply And Demand: Early 2015 Review [View article]
    Why not?
    Apr 16, 2015. 03:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson: Don't Be Fooled By Headline Earnings [View article]
    Nice article, with analysis I believe is spot on.

Long JNJ
    Apr 16, 2015. 08:11 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Global Oil Supply And Demand: Early 2015 Review [View article]
    Oil demand has seasonal elements, first quarter is always lower than the fourth quarter. If you look at the chart provided, you see the first quarter of each year was lower than the fourth quarter of the previous year.

Demand is increasing, the IEA has raised their demand forecast for 2015 twice this year. http://bit.ly/1DL6Jmk

As the world's population grows and as more people enter the middle class, oil demand will grow.
    Apr 16, 2015. 07:46 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Global Oil Supply And Demand: Early 2015 Review [View article]
    Bigisbetter - Perhaps the author looked at the facts and came to a conclusion that demand is increasing, which it is, and production growth is slowing, which ii is . Then, based on those facts stated a bullish thesis, which I agree with. The author's article was insightful, your comment was unnecessary.
    Apr 15, 2015. 02:22 PM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment