Larry Smith

View Larry Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Two good points losaneglee. Apple does have loads of cash, much of it overseas and Yahoo will have a tax question when the Alibaba deal is complete. Apple will continue to buyback shares and pay their dividend, but at some point they will have to find another use for the cash.

Yahoo's tax bill from the Alibaba deal may depend on how the entire thing is structured. Corporations are usually pretty good at dodging the tax man.
    Feb 3, 2014. 07:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Moon, you make some good points. Especially about search, I agree Bing is better and I agree it is Google ad saturation that is the problem. Will Yahoo compete in that field, well they have work to do, but I think Meyer intends to.
    Feb 3, 2014. 07:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Book value, I respect your opinion. In investing we all make decisions based on what we see, you and I see things differently, no big deal. Good luck.
    Feb 3, 2014. 07:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Thanks for the comment strozzi, appreciate you adding your thoughts. Personally, I do not see the value of a smart-watch, especially when you have to have the phone with you for it to work. As I stated previously, with mobile being used increasingly for video, I think small screens are not the way the business is going, which is why phablets have become more popular. Is it possible I can't imagine it as you say, you bet, that is always possible. However, as I sit here today, I think Apple has some issues going forward and I don't see the watch as a salvation.
    Feb 3, 2014. 07:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Yahoo does have more work to do, no doubt about that. However, the page view improvement, and the improvement in ad clicks is encouraging. Their mobile has been a huge improvement. I think Meyer sees mobile as the future and is pushing that part of the business hardest.
    Feb 3, 2014. 07:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Thanks for the comment omnimoeish. I agree, the days of getting top dollar for a smartphone are over, selling your brand for hundreds more than others will not fly. Is Apple done, no it isn't, especially with the cash position it has. But, I do see a bumpy road ahead.
    Feb 3, 2014. 07:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Thanks for the comment hahaha. You make some great observations, getting a little deeper in the weeds than I could in an article. I agree with much of what you say. I do think the core Yahoo business can improve, just how much remains to be seen.

Appreciate you adding to the conversation.
    Feb 3, 2014. 07:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Rationality, my major reason for getting long Yahoo is the Alibaba stake. I also think the core business is getting better. As an investor, I fully understand I could be wrong.

If Apple hits $420, that would be a bargain.
    Feb 3, 2014. 07:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    I am aware of Yahoo Japan, made a decision not to include it because I had hard time putting a value on it. Thanks for the comment anonymous user.
    Feb 3, 2014. 06:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Thanks for the comment matt, you make some interesting observations.

I have no desire for a smart-watch and don't understand why others would want one. (I could be wrong, I know) More people are using mobile for video, like watching television shows, or other media clips while commuting etc. Why would someone want to do that on a small watch size screen.

Many people offering mobile banking, PayPal, Google Wallet, etc. I don't see that as a category breaker.

I agree fully on the robots, I actually find that scary.

However, I could be wrong.
    Feb 3, 2014. 06:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    instructor, thanks for the comment. I agree 100% on the value of Yahoo message boards, which is zero. I no longer go there. Does Yahoo have competition, yes. However, Yahoo with its improving mobile presence and its ownership of Alibaba is in a unique position to move higher. Will my son own Yahoo forever, maybe not, but we will stick around through the Alibaba IPO
    Feb 3, 2014. 06:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Deferred revenue, as I understand it, is a sale made but product not yet delivered. Perhaps Apple sold 100,000 phones to someone but hasn't delivered them yet. So yes, those revenues will be recaptured, however, Apple always has deferred revenue, this isn't a one-time event. I would have to go over a couple years worth pf reports to see how the deferred income fluctiuates, which if I have time I may do. Thanks for the comment and good question.
    Feb 3, 2014. 06:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reports: Keystone review to play down carbon concerns [View news story]
    That report says what anyone with any sense has been saying for YEARS. The oil sands will be developed. The oil will get used and will be transported, by pipeline, train, truck, mule and a cart, but it will be transported. Let's get on with it.
    Jan 31, 2014. 08:02 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bloomberg: Microsoft to name Nadella CEO, thinking of replacing Gates [View news story]
    Based on what I know, which is not as much as the search committee, I think this is a good choice. I thought he was great during the investor conference, a technology geek, but able to explain it so I understand. As a shareholder I am happy if he is indeed the new CEO and also happy with Amy Hood the new CFO.
    Jan 30, 2014. 08:56 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Banned SodaStream ad is a hit [View news story]
    People just want to see Scarlett, won't sell anymore product.
    Jan 29, 2014. 08:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment