Larry Smith

View Larry Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Alibaba's Impact On The Value Of Yahoo [View article]
    Very nice article Pam, I agree with your thesis. IMO, the longer Alibaba waits for the IPO, the better for Yahoo, as the value for Alibaba will likely increase. In addition, Yahoo has been buying back a lot of stock, share count likely will be less than a billion at the IPO, this increasing the value per share of Ali.
    Feb 23 02:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Judge strikes down Nebraska's approval of Keystone XL route [View news story]
    I laugh at how hard all the greenies are trying to block the Keystone pipeline, the oil is already coming, will continue to come and Keystone or not, the oil sands will be developed.

A county judge ruling will be appealed and probably overturned. My guess is the greenies filed in that county because they knew they had the best chance of winning there.

In the end, it doesn't matter, millions of barrels are already coming.
    Feb 19 08:19 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bloomberg: New Apple TV set-top on tap, TWC talks ongoing [View news story]
    How are they going to do that? The companies that get the signal to the homes are not interested. Why would the cable companies let Apple into their ecosystem when Apple doesn't let anyone in to theirs. The content folks are not interested either. The content providers make more money form selling their packages, like Disney with ABC, ESPN, ESPN2. ESPN3, ESPNNews, Family Channel,etc, to the cable companies than they would be with Apple providing a menu service which I understand they want to offer.

If Apple ever does enter the TV business, let's hope it is better than their Quicktime media player, which blows.
    Feb 13 01:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Gildan Activewear Is A Perfect Fit For My Growth And Income Portfolio [View article]
    Hi Paul,

Great first article, you made a good case for a company I was not familiar with until I heard some of their brand names like Gold Toe. I like a little better yield than what Gildan is providing, but now that I know what they do I will be keeping an eye on it.

Good luck.
    Feb 12 01:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen Stock Is Overvalued And It's Time To Take Profits [View article]
    "Walgreen has fallen from a recent high of over $61 and has fallen from a stock price of $59.19 to $57.23 since I wrote this article just one week ago. That represents of loss of $1.96 or 3.31% in this same time period. "

"My sincere sympathy for those who held on to their Walgreen stock for the dividend alone. Fortunately this is a great company and it will eventually come back. I still think there is more to go on the downside "

Me thinks you speak too soon. Long WAG at $29.80 and holding for a very long time.
    Feb 11 08:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    I will toast the glass of Coca-Cola I have in my hand to you omooc, to the 200 point market move and to anyone else that wants join us. Thanks for the kind words.
    Feb 11 07:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    No, let's keep that to ourselves, I get in a enough trouble.

Thanks Miz
    Feb 11 01:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon: More 'Major' Moves In The Permian Basin Shale Oil Play [View article]
    Jennifer, I have a question.

As a long-time XOM shareholder, I know they prefer long-lived assets. I also know shale plays tend to play themselves out quickly. Would you consider the acreage they have in the Permian a long-lived asset? Does 1.5 million net acres keep XOM in the Permian for a decade?

Thanks in advance.
    Feb 11 01:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon: More 'Major' Moves In The Permian Basin Shale Oil Play [View article]
    Nice concise, informative article Jennifer, it was an interesting read.
    Feb 11 08:46 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    After reading my response to omooc, I have to make a note to myself not to write a response to someone while my wife is telling me about her day, the split concentration leads to many errors. My apologies for the many mistakes. The one sentence should read, my son would come home from work early and say it was dead so they told him he could go home.

I think when I was typing that, my wife was telling me I wasn't paying attention to her. ;-)
    Feb 11 07:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    omooc, thanks for the comment. MCD sales in January in the US were down, butso will the other national competitors. I live in the Chicago area, the winter has been brutal and if folks don't think that hurts sales they are kidding themselves. My son works at Chick Fil-A, in January they didn't even open one day, closed early several days and opened late a couple more. With 20 below zero temps and constant snow, no one was going outMy son would come hme early and say it was dead, so the What do people think sales were like in Atlanta when the city shut down for two days. Weather does make a difference. The good news is next year the comps will be easy.

Take care.
    Feb 10 08:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Apple And Bought Yahoo [View article]
    Thanks for the comment, grox0, I obviously disagree or I wouldn't have sold AAPL and bought YHOO.
    Feb 10 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Kathy, restrooms are important and everyone trusts their facilities, I remember traveling when the kids were young, if one of them had to go we looked for a MCD.

Excellent point about the moat, it does give them a huge advantage over competitors. The infrastructure and supply chain are in place. which makes expanding easier.
    Feb 10 06:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Thanks for the comment coolblue, MCD is not going down in flames any time soon.
    Feb 10 06:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A No-Brainer Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Brad, well said.
    Feb 10 06:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment