Larry Smith

View Larry Smith's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Broad coalition backs Keystone XL oil pipeline, adding pressure on Obama [View news story]
    Blame the environmentalist and especially Mr. Bill McKibbon who thinks it is game over for the planet. if the pipeline is built. Talk about hyperbole.

Feb 4 07:53 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Payrolls add 74K in December; UE rate down to 6.7% [View news story]
    Only 74K jobs added, yet the unemployment rate drops 3/10ths. I guess a lot of folks gave up.
    Jan 10 08:33 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Keystone XL (TRP) pipeline would increase greenhouse gas emissions by the equivalent of 46 coal-fired power plants or 34M vehicles, groups fighting the project claim in a report. The finding, at odds with the environmental review by the State Department, says the project to carry ~830K bbl/day of Canadian tar sands oil would add 181M metric tons of gases tied to global warming. [View news story]
    Hmmm, I am sure the study was completly unbiased and fair.

Do they know that the oil will be harvested and shipped regardless of the pipeline?
    Apr 16 12:25 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The corn crop is gone, says Dennis Gartman, and despite already high prices, corn and corn-related shares should be bought on any weakness. Stay away from fertilizer stocks, however tempting as they may be as a proxy to corn. Buying them on the premise that laying more fertilizer will save the crop is just a "silly idea," Gartman quips. Fertilizer may be needed next year, but right now, anybody who's laid some down already wishes they hadn't because the crop is completely destroyed. (video)  [View news story]
    The corn crop is NOT completely gone, that is disingenuous. The yield will be down, but corn will still be harvested. There are many fields that are irrigated and rain has fallen although it has been spotty.
    Jul 18 10:47 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yes, You Can Retire: One Investor's Contrarian Perspective [View article]
    Nice article and I respect your opinion concerning leaving money for your children, however, I have a different mentality. I believe we have entered a new era, one where wages will be depressed, due to competition from low wage countries, forcing manufactorers to keep wages low and from high unemployment allowing corporation to keep wages low due to the large worker pool.

I have three chidren, two have graduated from college and one is still in high school. One college graduate is working for $12.69 an hour, having just received a 19 cent raise. The other, out of school for five months has been unable to find a job, working at a no pay internship at the moment.

Therefore, it is my goal to leave as much money to my children as I can. I have a number in mind that I hope to achieve before I leave this life. I will not deprive myself of everything, but I will be relatively frugal and will continue to invest in dividend paying stocks. I will do this because I believe the world will be much tougher for my children than it was for me.

Good luck.
    Oct 12 09:07 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy And Hold Is Not Buy And Forget [View article]
    Nice article, as with all your articles some good common sense. I am always amazed that people think buy and hold means never selling. I have owned MCD for a very long time, it has never given me a reason to sell. I owned Citi for a very long time and did well with it, but when the financial crisis hit, it was gone.

I understand there is more than one way to invest, but for me, dividend growth investing is the method that works best.
    Sep 20 07:54 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: An Introduction To Creating Wealth [View article]
    I liked the article Dave and I think it is a nice set-up for your future articles that I will read because I think your advice could be rewarding for readers. Damn, probably too many I's.
    Mar 19 08:20 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Needs A Big Dividend Hike This Year [View article]
    XOM is my largest holding and the stock I have held the longest. I do not want them to operate the company any differently. I like the share-buybacks, I like the growing dividend, I like the discipline, I like that it is integrated, and I like the AAA rating.

I agree with others, if you don't like it, sell! It is not thier job to run the company in a certain manner because someone has a large capital gain.
    Mar 7 01:30 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan calls his latest budget proposal "an invitation to the president of the United States, to the Senate Democrats to come together to fix these problems." Democratic Representative Chris Van Hollen says it's a "total uncompromising" blueprint and dead on arrival. Hollen adds a warning to the markets as well, noting that despite the healthy performance of stocks recently, the impact from another stalemate will likely reverse those gains very quickly. [View news story]
    The House will pass a budget like it has for the last 3 years, that budget will not become law. If the Senate passes a budget, a big if, since they haven't in 3 years, the Senate budget and House budget will go to committee where a compromise budget bill will be hammered out and voted on by both Houses. That is the way the process works, so I don't see why everyone is bent out of shape. The Republicans have a budget they feel matches their values, what did everyone expect, the Republicans create a budget that the Democrats love. This is a process, lets wait to see what of anything gets sent to the President.
    Mar 12 08:27 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Patience When Investing Gets You The Big Candy Bar [View article]
    Thanks for the comment barley, I appreciate it. Holding cash is boring, but I have learned through sitting through market sell-offs without any, that I will be happy I have cash when everyone else is selling.
    Jan 14 02:20 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fracking, Climate Change And What Gets Lost In The Shuffle [View article]
    Have to agree with those that state this was nothing more than a long article based on assumptions and opinion. The oddest part was ending with "oh yea, buy silver".
    Nov 29 12:25 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ackman's battle with Herbalilfe gets political [View news story]
    Exactly what is wrong with the country. A rich hedge fund guy, makes a large short bet, gets television and print media to cover his press conference and air his claims. Then goes to DC to get some politician to help his cause. All in an attempt to make himself some money. Then folks wonder why people protects against the so-called 1%.

I have no position in HLF.
    Mar 10 12:11 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • U.S. House overwhelmingly passes two-year budget deal [View news story]
    Small steps are better than no steps or backward steps. The fact the far left and the far right didn't like it, tells me it was a good bill. Compromise isn't pretty, but in divided government, it is the only way to get something done.
    Dec 12 07:06 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Or Disney - Which To Buy [View article]
    Rushing to buy a stock that I think is a little high to get a 1% dividend, doesn't seem logical to me.
    Dec 2 09:16 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Illinois leaders agree to pension deal [View news story]
    Sadly, I too live in Illinois, you have to live here to understand the corruption and cronyism, it's a disgrace. Our neighbor to the North has a fully funded pension and a Governor who stood up to the public unions, won't happen here. It is my wish to leave this state the day after I retire.
    Nov 28 08:54 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment