Laura Starks

View Laura Starks' Comments BY TICKER:
  • U.S. Silica Holdings Is My Favorite Idea That Everyone Knows, But No One Understands [View article]
    Key point: Others have pointed out that the short interest on this stock is 36% of the float.
    Jun 12, 2015. 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I disagree. Throughout the analysis & from previous statements from the company and the oil industry, a big downdraft for first quarter 2015, and this year, has been expected given the fall in rig count and the drop in oil price. Upside comes from the 3000 DUC wells, higher use of sand/well, and the ISP diversification noted above. The company's ability to work with its customers over the long term (50+ years) is also a competitive advantage. These are all in the analysis above.

Not in my analysis because it was not in last week's public info was specific discussion of working with customers (trading price for term, etc.) and taking market share from smaller, weaker, less diversified frack sand companies.

"So as first quarter 2015 results come in-and U.S. Silica Holdings will announce its first quarter results after the market closes Tuesday April 28, 2015--a clearer picture of the pain and downshifting for oil service companies will emerge . . . Because 2014 was a banner year for proppants, it is expected that they will provide considerably smaller revenues and margins in 2015... In response to the lower oilfield demand for its sand, U.S. Silica notes that a) 60-70% of its volume has been maintained under long-term contract, b) it is reducing both overhead and supply chain costs, c) it is trading flexibility for value, and d) it is delaying $100-$120 million in capital expenditures."

Investors should of course incorporate the newest public information into their decisions. First quarter 2015 results just announced after Tuesday's' market close:
    Today's quarterly conference call:
    Apr 29, 2015. 05:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'd go with whatever your risk tolerance, time horizon, and portfolio needs might be.
    Apr 25, 2015. 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good question.
    Apr 24, 2015. 05:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ER, earnings report. You mean from its earnings as of 12/31/2014? Or first quarter 2015? SLCA will announce next week--general sense is that all the oil service companies have been hit.
    Apr 24, 2015. 09:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am not sure I know what you mean by ER.
    Apr 23, 2015. 09:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I think the first quarter 2015 results for all oil and gas companies upstream, especially suppliers, will be pretty ugly. We'll be seeing those soon.
    Apr 23, 2015. 09:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Before the price decline, the only issue was scheduling crews and equipment to get oil out of the ground as quickly as possible. Since the decline, one commentator has said that $141 billion of capital projects, many large-scale--have been delayed or cancelled.

There is so much oil in inventory now that between it and the DUC (drilled-uncompleted) wells there appears to be a short-term cap on prices.

Nonetheless, daily Mideast and Russian tensions reinforce the security advantage of having our own oil production.
    Apr 22, 2015. 08:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks and great question. I don't have the pre-price drop numbers except to know that the inventory has grown. In 2014, the issue was generally getting the crews and equipment as fast as possible--that was the bottleneck. And completion times were numbered in days. Companies wanted to capture the high-initial production rates at high prices. So any DUC (drilled but uncompleted) inventory then was a function of getting the crews and equipment.

Now, most drilling is done to hold leases. (Rig count down by half across the U.S.) I do think it's interesting that North Dakota has a one-year rule that requires completion or plugging.
    Apr 22, 2015. 01:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Long story about the title...not my most creative.
    Apr 22, 2015. 12:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diamondback Energy Is Down, Could It Swing Up? [View article]
    2putttwo, Easy to understand the enthusiasm.LAS
    Feb 15, 2015. 02:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diamondback Energy Is Down, Could It Swing Up? [View article]
    Dirk,
    Cool!
    LAS
    Feb 13, 2015. 09:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Diamondback Energy Is Down, Could It Swing Up? [View article]
    Viper looks interesting for partnership investors.
    Feb 13, 2015. 08:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Moving Up With Marathon Petroleum Corporation [View article]
    Thanks for the correction.
    Oct 30, 2014. 01:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment