Left Banker

View Left Banker's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Hollywood studios look to Governor Moonbeam for tax breaks [View news story]
    My objection is the "Gov Moonbeam" tag is sooooo 20th century. That was Jerry Then. Jerry Now is anything but.

Fun Fact. Jerry Brown holds the record for being the youngest governor in California history.
    More Fun Facts: Jerry Brown holds the record for being the oldest governor in California history.
    Aug 20 02:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hollywood studios look to Governor Moonbeam for tax breaks [View news story]
    Lame headline. I expect better from Seeking Alpha.
    Aug 20 11:10 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Double-Digit Yields From Awilco Drilling Ltd. [View article]
    evernew: That is correct. And, my assumption is (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the dividends are qualified dividends (i.e., 15% rate).
    Aug 19 06:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy-Write CEFs Are An Alternative To An S&P 500 Dividend Fund [View article]
    convoluted: Thank you for this thoughtful and interesting analysis.
    Aug 17 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy-Write CEFs Are An Alternative To An S&P 500 Dividend Fund [View article]
    Albion:

Right.

Spent a lot of time up Albion-way when I was younger. Good times in a lovely place.
    Aug 16 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Misleading Story About George Soros's Filing [View article]
    Of course the media is pushing it as a harbinger of the big one. Fear sells.

One needs look no further than this very site. Every time someone writes a "The Sky Is Falling" article here it immediately rises to the top of the most read list. The fact that the same people have been writing about the looming crash / bubble / bear / correction for several years and have been consistently wrong doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Aug 16 10:15 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New 2x Leveraged ETN Tracks Non-Energy MLPs And Yields 14% [View article]
    I do.

Good place for it considering its tax efficiency. Or, should I say tax-inefficiency since every penny of the distributions is ordinary income?

There are rules (at least at my broker) against margin leverage in IRA accounts, but nothing about holding leveraged positions.
    Aug 15 02:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The High Premiums For The PIMCO High Income Fund Continue To Erode? [View article]
    You may well be right. About the great buying point.

I doubt this article had much to do with it though.
    Aug 15 02:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy-Write CEFs Are An Alternative To An S&P 500 Dividend Fund [View article]
    Two sides of the same coin.

I'm not really sure who you're addressing this comment to. If "your" points to me as the author, I'll note that not once did I use the word "need." But perhaps it's directed to one or more of the comments above.

Lifestyle may be, as you say, discretionary. But having sufficient resources increases the range of the discretionary options.
    Aug 15 01:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Double-Digit Yields From Awilco Drilling Ltd. [View article]
    Covingtonium: I would think so. Only possible glitch may (I'm not sure) involve international market issues. If it were me, I'd check with my broker.
    Aug 15 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Matter If They Matter To You [View article]
    Nice article. I especially like the title which is awfully hard to argue with.

I, too, am in the total return camp, but I look for my total return with full appreciation for its income component. I'm weighing in here for another point, though. I'm not convinced you (DVK) are completely fair in saying "what you indicated there no evidence of has been stated as incontrovertible fact repeatedly." My reading of this (too often silly, to my mind) ongoing brouhaha is that the other camp (at least the reasonable ones) don't claim dividends are detrimental, but that they "don't matter." I.e., dividends are "lost" value in the underlying company in being transferred to the shareholder. Pay me now or pay me later. You can argue with that, I suppose, but it's not an easy argument to support.

There's a lot to like about dividends. Not the least of which is that they are an indication of a mature, profitable company that transfers a portion of profits to its owners. But there is also a lot to like about non-dividend payers that are putting every penny of profit back into growing the company. The best of the second group mature into (drum roll please, maestro) Dividend Payers -- often very good ones. C.f. AAPL, MSFT, CSCO and a host of others).

To me it's more a question of one's priorities and confidence in abilities to choose. Dividend payers are (or should be) safer and less subject to bad calls. That alone is a great reason to focus on that group.

As I said, I love the title.
    Aug 14 06:50 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Double-Digit Yields From Awilco Drilling Ltd. [View article]
    Dividend announced for 3Q.
    $1.15/share
    ex-date: 19 Aug
    pay date: 19 Sept
    Aug 14 04:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Reorganization Of Nuveen Equity CEFs: Good Or Bad For Shareholders? [View article]
    I'll add one thing. DPO is just about the only (there may be one more; I'm not certain) covered-call CEF that uses leverage. In that sense it provided a niche for someone who was interested in having the option available.

Jn that sense, it's been a bit of an odd-man-out in its category, so I guess I understand why Nuveen wants to move it into a more mainstream position, but I think it's a bit unfortunate as CEFs are a place for the quirky niche opportunities that are hard to get anywhere else.
    Aug 14 12:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New 2x Leveraged ETN Tracks Non-Energy MLPs And Yields 14% [View article]
    Philipsonh:

I'd certainly agree with that. Seems ETRACs always adds one or two holdings to these levered ETNs that I'd prefer to not have in there. FUN is this one's.

Morningstar had a nice article on this class this morning: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Aug 14 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Arrowhead's Hep B Phase 2a Topline Data Imminent - 'Transformational' Potential [View article]
    Yesterday's late news has certainly not inspired confidence in the options market.

Do you think the underlying message is their is a need for higher doses for efficacy with associated safety concerns? I liked this trade yesterday; this morning, not so much.
    Aug 13 10:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment