Left Banker

View Left Banker's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why Apple Is The Perfect Stock For Anyone [View article]
    Michael: As they say "Don't let the door hit you in the .... " well you get it.

Seriously, it's getting time to stop defending those shorts, ya'think?
    May 25, 2014. 02:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Is The Perfect Stock For Anyone [View article]
    Good article. So much drivel on AAPL fills these pages, so it's refreshing to see a really comprehensive and detailed analysis instead of another fan-boy rehash or unthinking defense of a short position.

Apple is my largest position. By a lot. Kept adding through 2013's dark days. At my annual review with my broker a few months ago, I heard "Are you sure you want to hold such a large position in Apple?" To which I replied "Damn straight I do, and I'm planning to increase it." The man just shook his head. Truly.

For a while I sold calls and held my breath on more than one Friday as it flirted with my strike price. Never was called but I picked up some nice money on premiums (and dividends) waiting for the turnaround. Not currently selling calls as the premiums are too low.
    May 25, 2014. 01:08 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Dividend Will Hit $20 Within 5 Years [View article]
    Gotlife: I agree completely. But in case your time machine is in the shop and unable to get you to July 2013 any time soon, you could buy now at $530ish and be quite proud of yourself in, say, March 2015.

Because unless you get that time machine fixed you'll never see those July 2013 prices again.
    Mar 29, 2014. 11:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Dividend Will Hit $20 Within 5 Years [View article]
    dmattern: I think it was Yogi Berra.
    Mar 29, 2014. 11:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Prognosis: Range-Bound [View article]
    Frank:

If you're unsure of the difference between selling puts and buying calls, let me respectfully suggest that you not venture into those waters without having done a lot more homework on the subject.
    Feb 23, 2014. 10:58 AM | 20 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Maybe It Is A Manipulated Stock, So What? I'm Overweight Apple For 2014. [View article]
    Dr. MW:
    My crystal ball's in the shop, so I can't give a prognostication, but I think there's a building consensus that we're heading for 600 real soon now and another 5% at least early in 2014 depending on what we hear at the Jan earnings report. Expect the noise on AAPL to increase at an exponential rate between now and then.

700? Don't know. But, either way I'm long. Watched my stake go down, bought more at 500ish. Watched it keep going down, but I still could not believe the valuations. There was no way it could stay there. Held my breath and doubled my stake at 440ish. It's been uphill from there. Been fun to watch it pass each of my buy points. Now that I'm ahead I thought about pruning the apple tree a bit, because I'm way overweight. But I've decided to hold on for at least 635-640. Beyond that, I'll re-evaluate, but the plan now is to sell at least a third.

Remember, I'm just a retail investor. No special knowledge; no special expertise. My advice is worth exactly every penny you're paying for it.
    Dec 14, 2013. 02:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Bears Throw In The Towel [View article]
    Right, because the rest of the market was just tearing up new highs all week.

Come on people, if you're going to make some bizarre bear case, at least make one that makes sense.
    Dec 13, 2013. 11:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Bears Throw In The Towel [View article]
    What makes you think they're not buying? And, as much as they're buying, why should they want to "prop it up" for a day? Who do you think is profiting by the weekly <http://seekingalpha.co...; decline in AAPL stock on Friday and its recovery on Monday. Most likely whoever is buying great gobs of the stuff, like $40 gigabucks. And who might that be? You did hear about the buybacks, didn't you?
    Dec 13, 2013. 11:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Bears Throw In The Towel [View article]
    The drop today was pure opex. It happens every flippin' Frudat: http://seekingalpha.co....

I can't guarantee it will be up Monday, but I'd bet good money that it will beat the market.
    Dec 13, 2013. 11:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yeah quite interesting, isn't it? Unless the market moves sharply as the day progresses, I'd not be surprised to see it fighting for $555.

I'd expect that more than being aware of it, they may be among the biggest players. Seems likely that the crew running the buyback are among the largest AAPL option investors if not the largest.
    Dec 13, 2013. 10:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yep. I noticed that when I ran the chart, although I seem to recall an even higher number than $23K for the buy and hold (but with a hefty drawdown in the middle). Was going to add it but I wanted to emphasize that I was not proposing a trading strategy, just pointing out how the pattern plays out over time.
    Dec 11, 2013. 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, I'll have a look.

Let me admit here that I am not an options trader. Barely understand it even after spending some time reading up on the stuff. But I do understand enough to know that you're completely correct, and to know that I'd have to know a lot more before venturing into those treacherous waters.
    Dec 11, 2013. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Please note, rope789, that I said two times in the paragraph that describes the chart that I was not proposing a trading strategy. I repeated it for emphasis because I knew someone was going to interpret it as such. MaybeI should have added it a third time, or maybe put a big disclaimer on the chart?

I was just using the model to show the long term trend. As a trading strategy it doesn't make sense: a simple buy and hold would have returned more than twice the profit (helluva draw down in between though).
    Dec 11, 2013. 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I disagree on several points, but mainly I'll say that I just don't believe swans come that black or tails that fat. Could happen, sure, but the fact that it is happening to one of the most heavily traded, closely followed, most attention-grabbing stocks in the market is more blackness and fatness than I can accept.
    Dec 11, 2013. 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jonathan Edwards:

You're correct to a point and I certainly could have applied a more sophisticated analysis here with a good deal more time and effort. I welcome your contribution doing so. But the fact remains that it is an overwhelmingly non-random phenomenon. I really didn't want to get too arcane with discussions of null hypothesis which just tends to confuse some people. But I will dispute your assertion that it only implies "the vague, arbitrary statement that the null hypothesis (that Friday and Monday are the same) can be rejected at the 0.0005 level." While true on the surface, if you're prepared to dismiss a rejection of a null hypothesis at the P=0.0005 (note that that's two orders of magnitude beyond the typical level used for statistical significance) as meaningless, you probably will do a lot of unnecessary wheel spinning over the long term.
    Dec 11, 2013. 11:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment