Lintoid

View Lintoid's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Apple Earnings And Guidance - Why I Think It Will Beat Analysts' Estimates [View article]
    AAPL short squeeze coming up !
    Oct 17 08:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Plunging The Depths Of Cal Dive's Earnings [View article]
    That's a good point -- whether Cal Dive is applying "accrual accounting" or "cash accounting" for that large 30% chunk (~$90M) of Q4 Pemex work that was not collected on.

Since the CFO indicated that these are milestone-based collections that applied, I think that indicates that no prior (Q4) "accrual accounting" could have been done, because the corresponding requisite milestone had not been met. He said that the "$100M in unbilled" was an "issue of timing" -- I don't see why he would be talking about deferred collections if they had no impact on the reported revenue numbers. Finally, it seems the reported Q4 revenue number would be far larger if it had included that large chunk of uncollected revenue.

If anyone has a better understanding of this, please chime in.
    Apr 4 10:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon: Serious Security Flaw In The Kindle Fire [View article]
    "... potentially bankrupting the owner." -- isn't that a bit hysterical ?

If a stranger gets a hold of my Kindle, I'm more worried that he has stolen my *Kindle* than that he will order a bunch of stuff on it. Any physical orders would have to go to my address to be 1-click; and any digital orders would easily be reversed by Amazon.
    Nov 20 03:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Plunging The Depths Of Cal Dive's Earnings [View article]
    If you do a search on "Levi & Korsinsky", you'll see dozens of these "shareholder alerts", fishing for class action lawsuits around unspecified "breaches of fiduciary duty". Notably, many of the subjects are targets of a rumored buyout -- so this is intriguing more than it is troubling. We should get clarity in the next earnings call.

I left a message with the law firm this morning and have not heard back.
    Apr 9 07:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 High-Growth Technology Stocks Armed With High Cash Reserves [View article]
    Should mention that Kopin (KOPN) controls many patents relating to wearable screens, which is poised to be a major consumer trend. They are also shipping an industrial wearable screen this year with Motorola, dubbed the Golden-I.
    Jul 22 02:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cal Dive Still Waiting For That Offshore Recovery [View article]
    My 2 cents: Even if you consider the shallow-water GoM pick up scenario a "high-risk" proposition, the book value of their ~24 ships and their overseas diversification pad that risk. So overall, it's not remotely "high-risk". Don't you agree?

Re Bricho's earlier comment -- about "the market" valuing the profit generating potential at a buck fifty -- "the market" in this regard is uninformed because this is such a tiny neglected stock. The most insightful discussion on DVR in the visible universe is here on this discussion thread. It's up to us here to inform prospective investors of the existence of Cal Dive, and guide them to a fair valuation of DVR.
    Apr 18 06:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cal Dive Still Waiting For That Offshore Recovery [View article]
    That might be a bit harsh. Apis Capital indicated that there was an independent appraisal -- as I'd expect there to be before an investment.
    Apr 16 11:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cal Dive Still Waiting For That Offshore Recovery [View article]
    As I indicated in my recent article on DVR, a lot of the legal hurdles for the major Cape Wind project were overcome recently. I'm curious to find out if Cal Dive is resuming their involvement as "preferred contractor" on Cape Wind. Hopefully we'll get an update in the Q1 earnings call.
    Apr 16 01:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cal Dive Still Waiting For That Offshore Recovery [View article]
    Thanks for the great article.
    Any comments on Australian LNG buildout? And prospects for Cal Dive in that market?
    Apr 15 04:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Plunging The Depths Of Cal Dive's Earnings [View article]
    The allegation behind the proposed class action lawsuit by Levi & Korsinsky is $1M of excess compensation to a Cal Dive corporate officer, spanning multiple years. Nothing too alarming. It is not instigated by any buyout rumor as far as I can tell.
    Apr 10 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Plunging The Depths Of Cal Dive's Earnings [View article]
    I concur that my info on Cape Wind was dated from 2012.

However my valuation is not based on Cape Wind -- it is based on the Pemex collections, Australia LNG infra, cost restructuring, and my assumption that Cal Dive can continue to win contracts like Pemex.
    Mar 27 06:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cal Dive International: Turnaround Or Resource Conversion Likely [View article]
    They were in the black if you take out the impairment charge.

The revenue miss was a minus; but the fact that they can beat earnings with a revenue miss suggests some sort of improved intrinsic efficiency. However I can't resolve that with the reduced utilization.

A portion of the Pemex work was moved to Q3.
    Perhaps they'll have more contract wins to announce now that earnings are out.
    Mar 5 02:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cal Dive Is A Sub-$2 Turnaround Play With Significant Upside Potential [View article]
    Could you quantify that -- like in terms of weather-related downtime, vs the average for fall/winter ?
    Feb 28 06:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Weather in the Gulf was good in Q4, right?
    That's significant for Cal Dive's ability to move through their (growing) backlog.
    Feb 27 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Good Times For A Change: Spot Tanker Rates [View article]
    Looks like NAT got a bump from Jim Cramer last night.

Yes, NAT trades below book value.
    Cal Dive (DVR) trades even more below book value -- despite peaking backlog.
    Jan 16 10:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment