Lisa Tamayo-Kennedy

View Lisa Tamayo-Kennedy's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Big Oil Under Serious Threat [View article]
    Thank you for wading into the shark tank with your article. It takes a lot of courage to swim against the tide of thinking. Having spent four months studying and then writing about the oil majors, I too, believe the these mega companies will have a harder time delivering the profits they have historically reported. Evolution, innovation and embracing new technologies will be key to their continued profitability.
    May 10, 2014. 03:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Success Stories In Clean Technology [View article]
    Thanks for that confidence. I am always looking for good ways to earn money as an investor, so I will keep you posted!
    Apr 9, 2014. 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Success Stories In Clean Technology [View article]
    Thank you, Dividend Sleuth, for your encouragement. It certainly was challenging to analyze the 15 Fast 500 clean tech companies as a group. There are few things about them that are equivalent.

I am also fascinated by the energy utility industry, particularly as companies like SolarCity and First Solar have come in with their fully integrated models that include financing. Utilities need to evolve or face falling revenues and market traction. I will certainly look deeper into all three of the utilities you mentioned.

I am not familiar with SunEdison's YieldCo, but at first glance it seems quite interesting. Thanks for the tip!
    Apr 8, 2014. 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ukraine: How Bad For Capstone Turbine? [View article]
    Interesting sentiment by the author and commenters. I am quite fond of Capstone and have no intention of selling, even though my stocks took a beating this morning. It's just part of the landscape. What Capstone does is innovative and important and will continue to grow in importance with growing global energy demands. Maybe this would actually have been a good day to buy.
    Mar 3, 2014. 05:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Integrated Oil And Gas Part 3: Oilfield Services Are The Industry Backbone [View article]
    Thank you very much, Dividend Sleuth, for your kind words.

I confess that when we undertook the oil and gas industry, we were unsure about the what we would find in terms of companies, performance, and desirability from an investment perspective. I personally was quite impressed with the OFS companies and how they continue to innovate towards more efficiency in the energy industry.

Our goal at investorMetrix is provide the best information to investors so you can make the best decisions. Thank you for letting me know this research is helping you do just that. All of this information certainly has an impact on how I make investing decisions.
    Feb 20, 2014. 10:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, rmccallay, for the excellent question!

We went back and forth about including Spectra Energy Partners in our comparative analysis. They are not of the same mold as Halliburton et al. They DO, however, move all of that natural gas from place to place. From their website: "We serve three key links in the natural gas value chain: gathering and processing, transmission and storage, and distribution. We also deliver natural gas liquids and crude oil to premium markets." We felt that their part of the value chain was important to the OFS sector and chose to include them. At one point, we had taken them out, but their strong financials and excellent resource efficiency caused us to reevaluate them.
    Feb 20, 2014. 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Integrated Oil And Gas Part 2: Navigating The Trends [View article]
    Thank you, Dividend Sleuth, for your thoughts. This topic is so dense the article could have easily been three times longer. And people are understandably passionate about the industry, so I wanted to make sure I addressed their concerns as well.
    Jan 25, 2014. 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Integrated Oil And Gas Part 2: Navigating The Trends [View article]
    I agree that companies with such long track records should be able to weather the increased volatility in the industry. The dynamics are changing rapidly, but as you point out, the trajectory from exploration to distribution is quite long. The road to this next "repeat" cycle is going to be painful, as was evidenced with Shell's announcement this month that their Q4 2013 profit would be $1.8 B vs $6.7 B in Q4 2012. They have the resources to stay competitive, just keep an eye on how they plan to do so.
    Jan 24, 2014. 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Integrated Oil And Gas Part 2: Navigating The Trends [View article]
    Thank you, smurf, for your thoughts. I completely agree with you that stock selection is quite challenging and the nuances are hard to uncover. I do sector analysis with every stock I purchase, even though it takes more time and effort. I want bragging rights too!
    Jan 23, 2014. 12:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Integrated Oil And Gas Part 2: Navigating The Trends [View article]
    Thank you, djoslyn. I appreciate it.
    Jan 23, 2014. 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Integrated Oil And Gas: Balancing Risks And Rewards - Part I [View article]
    Thank you, charliezap, for your thoughtful remarks. It is challenging to fit the entire analysis of 50 companies into 2,500 words, so there is much information that simply did not make it into the article. We decided to do this series on oil and gas because my father has worked in the oil services industry for over 40 years. We were fortunate to have him as an advisor to our research. We chose our field of companies from a variety of sources; the largest priority being that the companies earn over $1B in annual revenue, have been in operation for least 10 years and are active in exploration and/or refining of both oil and gas. Even though these companies operate in vastly different geographic and economic environments, they are all part of the same industry and deserve to be analyzed as a group. We took this approach to cover the dynamic and changing marketplace and to highlight companies that seldom make it into the headlines.

I would certainly welcome your comments on Part 2, which goes into much deeper detail about the global trends we outline here in Part 1. Thank you again.
    Jan 22, 2014. 07:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Integrated Oil And Gas Part 2: Navigating The Trends [View article]
    Thank you @omarbradley, for your thoughts. It does seem counterintuitive that Pennsylvania wells would be defined as "water stressed". The figure I quoted comes from a report titled "Hydraulic Fracturing & Water Stress" by a group called CERES, who tracks carbon emissions and water use of thousands of companies globally. Their latest findings showed that out of 1,923 wells in PA, 1,346 are under medium to high water stress. They also reported that Pennsylvania wells recycle about 40% of the water used for operations, largely due to the lack of infrastructure for wastewater disposal, and that are hoping to grow that number to 90%.

After Part 3 of oil and gas goes live, I will be doing a article on the 23 clean technology companies that made the Deloitte 500 fastest growing companies list. Gotta champion the folks who are trying to move us beyond fossil fuels.
    Jan 22, 2014. 01:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cummins' 12-Liter Nat Gas Engine Will Power Clean Energy Fuels 20% Higher In 2014 [View article]
    Michael, I am long CLNE and am excited about their technology. Did my homework on Cummins after reading your very interesting article. Love all of the comments also. Now I know a lot more about a stock I am hoping to see grow a lot more in 2014.
    Jan 8, 2014. 12:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Integrated Oil And Gas: Balancing Risks And Rewards - Part I [View article]
    Thank you! I plan to have Part II ready for publication by early January.
    Dec 19, 2013. 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Integrated Oil And Gas: Balancing Risks And Rewards - Part I [View article]
    Thank you! The oil and gas industry is a very interesting and complex sector to analyze. Part II will dive deeper into the key trends and how companies are dealing with them.
    Dec 17, 2013. 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment